The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

Just one point shy of last year's point total now in an equal number of games, though it's worth noting that Motte has been really hot lately with 5 points in his last 6 games. I still think Motte had 30-point potential and that if he could stay healthy, he'd hit that mark in an 82-game season. As it stands, he still has a really good chance to break his career bests in assists, points, and maybe even goals.

With the way he is contributing offensively, on the PK, and finding a way to cohesively bring that fourth line of Highmore, Lammikko and even Dickinson together, not quite sure if you want to trade him now. Might too critical to keep to have that push down the stretch. He seems to be an important piece, will be interesting if they can sign him to something reasonable.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

With the way he is contributing offensively, on the PK, and finding a way to cohesively bring that fourth line of Highmore, Lammikko and even Dickinson together, not quite sure if you want to trade him now. Might too critical to keep to have that push down the stretch. He seems to be an important piece, will be interesting if they can sign him to something reasonable.

To me, something reasonable would be more than the lowball suggestions most of the GMs on this site make even after giving high praise.

And speaking of praise, how abut those one-handed checks? I can't recall any forward who's as consistently accurate in knocking the puck of someone's stick AND getting it to go where it should. Kind of like a cross between a great swordsman and a billiards player. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Tyler Motte into 159th in all-time Canuck scoring with his goal and assist tonight.

158.  Jason Garrison D 128 15 34 49
159.  Tyler Motte C 184 27 21 48
160.  Brent Ashton C 124 23 25 48
161.  Bill Muckalt RW 106 20 28 48
162.  Tom Fergus C 80 19 29 48
163.  Manny Malhotra C 159 18 30 48
164.  Antoine Roussel LW 141 17 31 48

Nothing we get back from a trade for Motte would be worth losing him by a LONG shot. Bottom 6 players don't get enough credit as it is, no team is going to give him a Miller-like haul, I doubt he'd even garner a 1st round pick and is that even worth it (a 1st on a good team ends up being 20-30th overall and with our new drafters, is that going to manifest to a good player? I doubt it).

I don't understand why anyone would want to trade Motte - he's young, he's tenacious, he has improved the quality of the other 2 guys he's playing with who were pylons before playing with Motte (both fringe NHLers on their former teams) and he won't cost much. If he asks for 1.5-2M then give the man what he wants, he scores goals, kills penalties and is one of the few players who plays with energy. 

We've paid Pearson tonnes of money to basically bring what Motte does and he brings about half as much. One solution is to stop over-paying guys who aren't contributing, sure, but at the same time we should be keeping and paying the guys who are contributing. Motte's a guy you can build the future of this bottom-6 around and the line he's on right now could comfortably stay together for years. Pay them a combined 5M and that's a bargain for essentially your 3rd line when some other guys getting that money are contributing nowhere near as much to the team.

Money's got to go out, sure, but not through Motte. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Over the past few months, I've often remarked that I think, with the right line mates, Motte could score 30 points in a year. Well now here we are, he's still in a bottom six role and scoring at a 29-point pace. What a gem. At this rate, I wouldn't be shocked if he has another level in him and can score 40-50 points.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nothing we get back from a trade for Motte would be worth losing him by a LONG shot. Bottom 6 players don't get enough credit as it is, no team is going to give him a Miller-like haul, I doubt he'd even garner a 1st round pick and is that even worth it (a 1st on a good team ends up being 20-30th overall and with our new drafters, is that going to manifest to a good player? I doubt it).

I don't understand why anyone would want to trade Motte - he's young, he's tenacious, he has improved the quality of the other 2 guys he's playing with who were pylons before playing with Motte (both fringe NHLers on their former teams) and he won't cost much. If he asks for 1.5-2M then give the man what he wants, he scores goals, kills penalties and is one of the few players who plays with energy. 

We've paid Pearson tonnes of money to basically bring what Motte does and he brings about half as much. One solution is to stop over-paying guys who aren't contributing, sure, but at the same time we should be keeping and paying the guys who are contributing. Motte's a guy you can build the future of this bottom-6 around and the line he's on right now could comfortably stay together for years. Pay them a combined 5M and that's a bargain for essentially your 3rd line when some other guys getting that money are contributing nowhere near as much to the team.

Money's got to go out, sure, but not through Motte. 

Motte's play has been great this year. As time goes by you can see that he is also a team leader. I take Motte over Pearson even tho Pearson is unfairly criticized at times. Bottom line is that Mott is faster and more physical in a consistent way. His injury history is a concern but that could be mitigated by his line mates to a degree. I also think fans tend to forget that he has only established himself over the past 2 years. There could easily be more upside to Tyler Motte.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Vanek for Motte

Gauds for Highmore

Joulevi for Lammy

Wow some low key trades that individually look like nothing…even some complained heavily about…have now come together to form one of the most exciting 4th lines I’ve watched on a Canucks teams in a long long time…I’d even dare to say solid 3rd line. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Hope we resign him before he goes to UFA this Summer ,.  If every player threw himself over the boards the way TM does this team would climb high in the standings every year.

I'm on my 3rd LongBoard beer and your sounding mighty good Sam! When Motter handed the belt off to Hamonic the other night he was showing a lot of leadership. Mott has more offensive upside IMHO.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

I'm on my 3rd LongBoard beer and your sounding mighty good Sam! When Motter handed the belt off to Hamonic the other night he was showing a lot of leadership. Mott has more offensive upside IMHO.

The coolest thing about all of this is Boudreaus old school approach .

If a player is ripping it up for you, he desires to show you how good he really is..  he is asking for opportunities with it.

Bruce recognizes this and dosent just offer a couple of shifts,. He sets them up for their next challenge.

Seeing Lamikko line up and shutdown McDavid, and then OReily was fist pumping.

Last night that entire line got the first line position and played to that potential.

Seriously , their confidence won’t stop rising!

Motte could be everything we wanted out of Boeser, Lamikko is becoming everything we wanted to see out of Horvat,.  And Highmore is becoming the new Motte lol!

Hats off to that entire line,.  And so much praise and welcome to Boudreau to give this roster the chance to weed into its player strengths,. And surfacing the hidden weaknesses.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Motte’s a stud. But, is it just me, or is he not hitting nearly as much or hard as he used to? He seems a bit more careful with his body these days after so many injuries. His offense is taking off nicely though. But I remember him being a bigger pest in past years.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Motte’s a stud. But, is it just me, or is he not hitting nearly as much or hard as he used to? He seems a bit more careful with his body these days after so many injuries. His offense is taking off nicely though. But I remember him being a bigger pest in past years.

I can only guess he's pacing himself.  Better not just for himself but for the Canucks as he's become a valuable member of the team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Good eye. I'm not sure about force, but his hits per game are drastically down from last year. In 2019-20, he was at 3.47 hits per game, in 2020-21, he was at 4.17 hits per game, and this year so far, he's at 1.65 hits per game. Definitely a noticeable drop. It's worthy of note though that he's still hitting quite a bit compared to most of our forwards. He ranks 4th in total hits behind Miller, Dickinson, and Horvat, all of whom have at least 47 games (Motte has 37).

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Slegr said:

I think he’s realizing his lines abilities to score,. If he is letting off on that “F1” hit at times, it’s because he knows his F2 is on the outlet pass to create a better opportunity for them to extract and control the puck.

I think he is timing his hits better in this way,.  And if that saves his body from an injury, I’m good with that.

When he is out of the line up, the lines totally unbalance.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...