The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Motte | #64 | C/W

48MPHSlapShot

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

After the playoffs and now tonight's game, I don't think there's a way that he's not protected in the ED.

Behind the big 4 forwards (Miller, Pete, Boeser, Bo) and probably Gaudette (nice goal tonight) I think he has to be considered for a protection spot.  He's quick and made some smart plays to eliminate scoring chances for even top guys (e.g. cutting off the pass to Draisaitl, holding the line on the PK to refuse entry, trapping and then taking the puck from McDavid [think Edler helped a bit but still]).  At this point I'd have him ahead of Jake (who probably still gets a spot) and MacEwen.

7/3/1

Don't need to protect Huggy or Hogger.

Pettersson/Horvat/Miller/Boeser/Gaudette/Motte/Virtanen

Schmidt/Juolevi/Myers

Demko.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:56 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes Lind needs protection.  I agree he needs to prove himself.  He had a breakout year last year with Utica so if he continues on that pace he could be called up to the big club this year and may even play NHL hockey.  It all depends on how he performs but I do see him as an NHL player and someone who can play a 3rd line role with a solid 200' game and a little nasty streak to him.  Plus he is a good set up man from the wing spot, so he might actually be a good fit for Gaudette who is more of a scorer than pure centre.  Lind can even take draws so I can see him and Gaudette switching positions at times.  

Even if Lind needs ED protection, I don't think Seattle would pick him. Las Vegas had the pick of the litter for some cast away 1st rounders and the most part they took guys with the very least semi NHL experience. Seattle (if he has a good season with us) would most likely pick Brayden Holtby. Starting goalie that has an acceptable cap hit, with ONE year left on his deal, Vezina, Stanley cup winner, thats a no brainer. That was an astute move by Jim picking up Holtby knowing his contract, his pedigree would be irresistable to the Kraken to overlook. Its a win for both parties, Holtby can be the placeholder for their soon to be goalie of the future, or if he plays well, he's young enough to be the present for a couple more years.

9 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

After the playoffs and now tonight's game, I don't think there's a way that he's not protected in the ED.

Behind the big 4 forwards (Miller, Pete, Boeser, Bo) and probably Gaudette (nice goal tonight) I think he has to be considered for a protection spot.  He's quick and made some smart plays to eliminate scoring chances for even top guys (e.g. cutting off the pass to Draisaitl, holding the line on the PK to refuse entry, trapping and then taking the puck from McDavid [think Edler helped a bit but still]).  At this point I'd have him ahead of Jake (who probably still gets a spot) and MacEwen.

I thought he had an outstanding game last night. Kinda reminds me of Mike Keane. It is players like this that you win CUPs. 

• Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

7/3/1

Schmidt/Juolevi/Myers

Demko.

Honestly no need to even protect Myers IMO, if Rafferty or Chatfield prove ready and Hamonic wants to stay, Myers' $6 million contract would be an NMC in itself (unless the Kraken really want him that badly).  Not needing to spend $6 million on a bottom pair guy is a win.

Edited by Phil_314

40 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Honestly no need to even protect Myers IMO, if Rafferty or Chatfield prove ready and Hamonic wants to stay, Myers' $6 million contract would be an NMC in itself (unless the Kraken really want him that badly).  Not needing to spend $6 million on a bottom pair guy is a win.

I’d be tempted to throw something extra Seattle’s way to take Myers. He was a stretch at $6M pre-COVID. Now with the flat cap and him not getting any younger, it would be in the team’s best interest to free up that $6M.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

I’d be tempted to throw something extra Seattle’s way to take Myers. He was a stretch at $6M pre-COVID. Now with the flat cap and him not getting any younger, it would be in the team’s best interest to free up that $6M.

Having seen teams like Florida get screwed (take Marchessault along with Smith to protect Petrovic, for instance, and I think Shea Theodore was another casualty to keep Manson and Vatanen and have them pick Stoner) I wonder if we'd need to give up a good young kid to have them take such a big contract with term.

Thing is, even if we retain Myers and they take Holtby, we still free up a lot of money so I'm fine with just exposing Myers, without risking giving up a lot by incentivizing them to take Tyler.  Honestly we win in either situation (unless Holtby plays lights out this season).

20 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

7/3/1

Schmidt/Juolevi/Myers

Demko.

Can’t protect Myers unless they extend someone else to be exposed.  Every team has to leave exposed at least 2Fs and 1D who have played 27 games this season or 54 over the past two seasons and who are under contract for 2021/22.  Only Schmidt and Myers qualify with others being either RFA, UFA or exempt. 

Edited by mll

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Dats hockey said:

absolutely mind blowing to me all the people who want to expose motte to Seattle.

HE OUR BEST BOTTOM 6 PLAYER PROTECT HIM WE NEES HIM!

Unfortunately we need top 6 players or at least the potential to develop top 6 players in prospects.

Lockwood and/or Highmore have the potential to replace what Motte brings if he’s exposed.

13 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

absolutely mind blowing to me all the people who want to expose motte to Seattle.

I don't want to speak for others, but for myself, it wouldn't be as much as 'wanting' to expose Motte, rather it would just be the unfortunate downside of wanting to protect other assets at this time. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't want to speak for others, but for myself, it wouldn't be as much as 'wanting' to expose Motte, rather it would just be the unfortunate downside of wanting to protect other assets at this time. 

Did you see our bottom 6 production this year he is a asset..

Just now, Dats hockey said:

Did you see our bottom 6 production this year he is a asset..

For how long is the biggest question.

If you’re protecting him to have him in his prime years while we’re not a contender what are you really gaining?

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately we need top 6 players or at least the potential to develop top 6 players in prospects.

Lockwood and/or Highmore have the potential to replace what Motte brings if he’s exposed.

Just out of curiosity, what round pick would you part with to make sure Seattle wouldn’t pick him? I’d give up a 3rd

Just now, Dats hockey said:

Just out of curiosity, what round pick would you part with to make sure Seattle wouldn’t pick him? I’d give up a 3rd

Depends who you’re agreeing for them to take instead.

If you can pay a 3rd for them to take Holtby absolutely.

My guess is they’re gonna want more than that though.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

For how long is the biggest question.

If you’re protecting him to have him in his prime years while we’re not a contender what are you really gaining?

My sanity while watching our bottom 6 chase the puck around.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Depends who you’re agreeing for them to take instead.

If you can pay a 3rd for them to take Holtby absolutely.

My guess is they’re gonna want more than that though.

Well they could pick anyone unprotected but motte. :)