The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] EDM/TOR/VAN Lucic, Tanev, and swapping 1st Rounders

EDM: *Gagner ($1.5M retention) + TOR 1st

TOR: Tanev + VAN 3rd

VAN: Dermott + *Lucic ($1.5M retention) + *EDM 1st (lottery-protected)

Reasons for Edmonton: Immediate and long-term cap relief from Lucic contract (saves $2.85M in cap until 2019/20 and then $4.5M in cap for duration of Lucic contract)

Reasons for Toronto: Adding a top pairing defenseman while their big three stars are on ELCs

Reasons for Vancouver: Needs more prospects and picks and added toughness in the lineup

In this scenario, Vancouver likely has a top-5 pick (VAN 1st) and a top-10 pick (EDM 1st) going into the draft. It's possible that we could draft both Bouchard and Hughes with those picks and with Juolevi we would have three high-end puck-moving defensemen.

Our core guys moving forward are Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette, Lind, Juolevi, Bouchard, Hughes, and Demko.

2 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

EDM: *Gagner (*$1.5M retention) + TOR 1st

TOR: Tanev + VAN 3rd

VAN: Dermott + *Lucic (*$1.5M retention) + *EDM 1st (*lottery-protected)

Reasons for Edmonton: Immediate and long-term cap relief from Lucic contract (saves $2.85M in cap until 2019/20 and then $4.5M in cap for duration of Lucic contract)

Reasons for Toronto: Adding a top pairing defenseman while their big three stars are on ELCs

Reasons for Vancouver: Needs more prospects and picks and added toughness in the lineup

In this scenario, Vancouver likely has a top-5 pick and a top-10 pick going into the draft. It's possible that we could draft both Bouchard and Hughes with those picks and with Juolevi we would have three high-end puck-moving defensemen.

no to lucic and why would edmonton want gagner, they have had him before. i'ld rather send tanev to edmonton for their 1st pick and prospects.

Edmonton declines because nobody trades a potential top 5 pick to offload a contract. Toronto probably declines as well, they are really high on Dermott. 

Having Lucic and Eriksson making 10M+ in cap dollars while providing mediocre production is a good way to ensure that this team will suck for a good while longer. 

The way Lucic is going, it will be hard for EDM to unload him.

In the next 3 season, which he has a full NMC. He will be paid 17 million.

In the 2 seasons after, he still can't be waived and has a limited NTC in which he is paid a total of 9 million.

I forget all the rules of front loading deals, but it appears they didn't do enough it to make it attractive for low budget teams. Their best hope is trading him after his signing bonus is paid on the last year of his contract.

1 minute ago, Xbox said:

Leafs are not trading Dermott, a guy with top 2 potential AND a first round pick for another D-man. If Tanev's health isn't a concern then you're better off proposing a trade based on Liljegren.

Canucks will not want Littlegren.  I like what the Islanders can offer: Calgary first, and a second.  

Just now, Fanuck said:

Lucic's contract makes Loui's contract seem reasonable as absurd as it sounds.   At least if Loui isn't scoring he plays sound defensively and kills penalties well.  

Lucic is a slug.  I’m shocked the Oil got a taker for the other slug Maroon.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Canucks will not want Littlegren.  I like what the Islanders can offer: Calgary first, and a second.  

I agree with the Islanders trade as well. I just don't see a plausible trade scenario with Toronto for Tanev that both sides are happy with.

My ideal target is Tanev being dealt to Tampa Bay. They'll be going all in next year as well and a D-man like Tanev with the cap hit he has is too good of an opportunity to pass on.

A second paring of McDonaugh - Tanev would be so damn good! That D core would rival if not exceed Nashville's.

I don't think it's worth it. Lucic is past his prime.... and doesn't have any mentorship qualities. It's not fair to the kids to have to drag 2 boat anchors in LE and ML. Especially with the Sedins gobbling 2  min PP shifts and all the O zone starts. Give the kids a chance. The Edm 1st lotto protected and Dermont isn't worth it . Just my $0.02

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

I don't think it's worth it. Lucic is past his prime.... and doesn't have any mentorship qualities. It's not fair to the kids to have to drag 2 boat anchors in LE and ML. Especially with the Sedins gobbling 2  min PP shifts and all the O zone starts. Give the kids a chance. The Edm 1st lotto protected and Dermont isn't worth it . Just my $0.02

He has mentorship qualities, all bad.  Draistil's now spearing guys in the groin thanks to Lucic teaching the kids in Edmonton how to be gutless pieces of trash.  Contract aside, I wouldn't want this pitiful excuse for a human being anywhere near our young players.  Would give Messier a run for his money as the biggest embarrassment in franchise history, on and off the ice.

7 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Lucic has no goals in 29 games and is signed through 2023. I wouldn't touch him even with retention.

People are obsessed with some fact that players from the Vancouver area are somehow better than the sum of what they are. Kane falls into the same category.

Hard pass on Lucic. Hard pass on Kane.

Archived