The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Temper Expectations

canuckledraggin

If I hear this phrase one more time, I will surely puke. Remember last year when Boeser debuted? It was the same narrative. Yeah sure, he's been great at the College level, but it's going to take him a while to get used to the pro game. I was fine with the conservative approach, but having watched him play a couple dozen times during his NCAA career, I was positive that his game would translate to the NHL. Lo and behold he was and is the same sniper that he proved himself to be as an amateur. His linemates in his title winning rookie year were Schmaltz and Caggiula, they're both playing in the NHL right now.

Gaudette may be proving to be developing at a slower rate, but leading the NCAA in scoring doesn't give pause to any of you who are telling me to pump the brakes, slow your roll, temper or lower your expectations? The NCAA didn't all of a sudden become a pushover league since Boeser graduated and having watched him play a couple dozen times, I'm sure his game will translate. His linemates Sikura and Nolan were also signed this weekend and will play the remaining games for their respective teams.

Gaudette also plays every situation. PP1, PK1 and starting every game on the 1st line. As a member of the Canucks I can see him starting on the 4th line and taking Dowd's minutes. It will be difficult for him to score in this role. My expectations are firmly rooted in this scenario, but if he scores or produces any sort of offense, I would be upset to see him held back.

When Pettersson comes to training camp next season are we going to try to stuff him into the tempered expectations box? These kids are all world and we should stop trying to hold them back from reaching their potential. The competition for this team is wide open and we need to put these young guys into positions to succeed.

Talent evaluation seems to be a concern for this team. We have the horses and now it's time to let them run.

I could not agree more... Gaudette kicked ass in college, but I hope fans aren’t expecting him to be as good as brock was when he came into the league, brock is a first round talent, Gaudette will likely need to adjust and grow into the role more like Horvat did (but I’d love him to prove me wrong!)

Everything I’ve seen of Gaudette screams mature young man, he’s gonna do whatever it takes to play here even if he has a slow start.

Brock was a big deal this year so I’m sure Gaudette is aware and is going to try and meet the same expectations... I just hope he doesn’t get disappointed IF it doesn’t work out that way. 

ncaa scoring leader

likely hobey baker award winner

so actually has performed better then brock in the ncaa

maybe he'll let brock carry his equipment bag for him

and lace up his skates nice and tight

and tape his stick for him :P

if only brock could be so lucky

gonna be interesting to see how his game translates to the nhl

20 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

If I hear this phrase one more time, I will surely puke. Remember last year when Boeser debuted? It was the same narrative. Yeah sure, he's been great at the College level, but it's going to take him a while to get used to the pro game. I was fine with the conservative approach, but having watched him play a couple dozen times during his NCAA career, I was positive that his game would translate to the NHL. Lo and behold he was and is the same sniper that he proved himself to be as an amateur. His linemates in his title winning rookie year were Schmaltz and Caggiula, they're both playing in the NHL right now.

Gaudette may be proving to be developing at a slower rate, but leading the NCAA in scoring doesn't give pause to any of you who are telling me to pump the brakes, slow your roll, temper or lower your expectations? The NCAA didn't all of a sudden become a pushover league since Boeser graduated and having watched him play a couple dozen times, I'm sure his game will translate. His linemates Sikura and Nolan were also signed this weekend and will play the remaining games for their respective teams.

Gaudette also plays every situation. PP1, PK1 and starting every game on the 1st line. As a member of the Canucks I can see him starting on the 4th line and taking Dowd's minutes. It will be difficult for him to score in this role. My expectations are firmly rooted in this scenario, but if he scores or produces any sort of offense, I would be upset to see him held back.

When Pettersson comes to training camp next season are we going to try to stuff him into the tempered expectations box? These kids are all world and we should stop trying to hold them back from reaching their potential. The competition for this team is wide open and we need to put these young guys into positions to succeed.

Talent evaluation seems to be a concern for this team. We have the horses and now it's time to let them run.

This, plus 10 if I could.

If he doesn't net 25 goals next year, watch how fast fans here will start calling for him to be traded for something "better"

Gaudette is the type of player that you win games and championships with. He's probably going to take a year or two to adapt though to bigger competition. Very few guys are going to come in and have Boeser level of success in their first season.

If he gets 30 - 40 points next year, HUGE win for us as an organization, awesome 5th round pick by JB

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

This, plus 10 if I could.

If he doesn't net 25 goals next year, watch how fast fans here will start calling for him to be traded for something "better"

Gaudette is the type of player that you win games and championships with. He's probably going to take a year or two to adapt though to bigger competition. Very few guys are going to come in and have Boeser level of success in their first season.

If he gets 30 - 40 points next year, HUGE win for us as an organization, awesome 5th round pick by JB

100pts or bust. Only the best for CDC.

48 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

If I hear this phrase one more time, I will surely puke.

Ha, been thinking this exact same thing.  All these armchair experts, most who've probably never even seen him play, putting on the "voice of reason" daddypants.  And yeah, this Fall it's going to be, "Oh that Pettersson, so skinny and young.  He should have been sent to Utica, like I said about Boeser.  Better temper-up, you kids.  Listen to me cuz I'm not only a player development expert but a friend of Dionne Warwick."

Throw it in the same pile of ill-informed fluff as #assetmanagement, #truerebuild, and #needstoimprovehisskating.

Boeser was a first round pick - Gaudette a fifth round.   Not any assurance of future paths but for a first round pick to end up in Calder conversation is very common - for a fifth round pick to play a single NHL game is not that common.   Give the kid some space and if he is a year or three away from the NHL let that happen too.   What he did in college as fantastic but this isn't college anymore.

My temper expectations are pretty normal.

I expect to totally hate Gagner, Edler and probably Hutton all over again by Oct 20. Probably go 7/10 on the rage scale every time any of them &^@# up.

Edler might come back around after Christmas and he'll be okay again. I won't be frothing at the mouth, but the closet hate will be strong no matter what.

I'm expecting fans to start hating on Green next year because he shoulda figured it out by now, and that will most positively make me lose my temper.

Archived