The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] The Sedins to retire at the end of the season

HerrDrFunk

Its great that we get a couple of games to celebrate the end of an era like this. When the Westcoast Express era ended the way it did it was pretty traumatic to the team and fans, so I'm grateful for this to end so positively. 

It's a sad day in Canucks Land, 2 of the greatest players to play for this team. Regardless of their age they are still valuable players to this team and I feel like if our team was more competitive we may have seen another year or two out of them. Good luck to them both in their future endeavors.

Here's hoping for a passing of the captaincy to Bo in their last game on the Rog.

13 minutes ago, PlanB said:

Thought they implied in their letter they're staying in Vancouver and don't want to travel anymore  - how can they scout SWE if they're living here and don't want to be on the road constantly? Better just make them local Canucks ambassadors.  

WHL and BCHL scouts? ;)

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Finally.....great players, even better people.

It's time. It's not good or bad it's just right.

4 minutes ago, poetica said:

It's hardly a shock, so why is it so hard to hear? :'(

I wish them both a long, healthy, happy life. I look forward to their numbers being raised to the rafters by the Canucks and them being inducted to the HHoF.

4 minutes ago, TheCammer said:

Clearly wasn't their vision. They've earned the right to end their careers how they see fit.

We're not winning a cup for a few more years.

I don't have anything original to add, but I would like to post something anyway.

This decision, to me, just shows again what great guys the Sedins are. Obviously they are the best two players in franchise history and hold pretty much every major offensive team record. And, equally obviously, they will certainly go into the HOF and have their numbers retired by the Canucks. We won't see numbers 22 or 33 on the ice again after this year.

This was the right time to retire. They have had good seasons -- at least their scoring has been at a good top six level. They can go out with their heads held high. But defence was a struggle for the Sedins this year and their numbers were inflated by lots of PP time, relatively soft matchups, and heavy weighting toward offensive zone starts. Realistically, by next year it is likely that they would not be helping the team on the ice and of course there are now lots of young guys who can benefit from playing time.

The Sedins are doing the unselfish thing and looking toward the best interests of the team by retiring now.

If the Canucks had a shot at the Cup next year, I would of course want the Sedins to stay to be part of that, but the Canucks do not look like even longshot Cup contenders. The Sedins have done everything else in their careers. The Stanley Cup is the only thing they don't have but, with that out of reach for next year, this is a good time to retire.

I assume the Canucks have already offered them positions in the organization. Obviously they should make those offers right away if they have not done so already. Frankly I would not mind seeing them take over the roles of team president and GM.

Dear Henrik and Daniel,

Thanks for all those years of hard work on and off the ice and for representing our team, fans, city, and province with the utmost of respect!  You two will truly be missed but never forgotten.  Enjoy your life after hockey with your families and friends!

Signed,

Every Canuck Fan Ever

43 minutes ago, apollo said:

Didn't have to end this way :(

I envisioned them re-signing 1 year 1 million and winning a cup with Petterson

This was likely the best way.  I would have liked to have seen them for one more year, but there was no way they would be winning a Cup.  So better that they retire while still an asset to the team instead of waiting and becoming a liability.

It will be interesting to see if the Oilers do anything to acknowledge their final NHL game.

Archived