The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] The Sedins to retire at the end of the season

HerrDrFunk

Honestly thought they were going for 1 more year, but happy that they're leaving on a positive note, and didn't get messy with negotiations or management deciding not to move forward with another year.

Class act future hall of famers!

Would love to be at the Arizona farewell game.

Great players, the reason I first began following hockey. So many incredible playes on the ice and very classy off of it.

knowing the sedins, there was never a worry that they would make the right decision both for themselves and for the team. They want a cup in Vancouver just as bad as the rest of us. Time to let the youth and next wave of players take shape.

IMG_0738.PNG.8f32bed5fc82e1d2138df46787c4888d.PNGIMG_1025.JPG.373032998a9742d03b68553302408ad5.JPG

This whole season I've been one of the people who believed that this should be their last season and yet, even with that said, it still hit me like a ton of bricks. It's kind of like when you were a kid and your best friend told you they are moving away. You know everything is going to be okay but its the change that that will take time to get over.

Sad to see this news but happy to see them go out strong. Two classy players who emulate what being a Canuck should be on and off the ice. Best of luck to them and their families going forward. I'd love to see them back with the organization at some point in the future. However, if that doesn't happen at leastI know they have left a legacy by giving so much to the Canucks team and community already.

5 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

This was likely the best way.  I would have liked to have seen them for one more year, but there was no way they would be winning a Cup.  So better that they retire while still an asset to the team instead of waiting and becoming a liability.

It will be interesting to see if the Oilers do anything to acknowledge their final NHL game.

Considering how badly the twins have ravaged them over the years, I would "the happy dance" is appropriate.

I wonder if either for their last home game vs Arizona or their last game overall against Edmonton anyone will start a handshake line for them like they did for Smyth?

Still processing this, looked up to them ever since I was a kid. Wish nothing but the best for the twins. 

This has to be a big moment for the team. I can imagine this being good for demko to see this live.  Show him what it means to be a Canucks legend.  This will motivate a lot of the young guys around the team.

29 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

Had a feeling it would happen, so I guess I was somewhat mentally prepared for such an event.

The good news is the part they wrote about how they'll still be around in the community, so while they won't be on the ice after the season, they won't completely disappear either.  And they've more than earned the right to attend their kids' birthday parties, hockey/soccer practices and so on.

Much respect to them; as everyone knows, great players and even better people off the ice.

I was mentally prepared as well..... till I wasn't :(

Archived