The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So do you want Horvat to captain this team, or do you want to draft a generational player?

tas

32 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Yup..i respect your opinion.

Also, i made a correction to my post above.  I didnt remember that the Canucks were on a pretty good upswing during the early 2000s when the Canucks named Naslund captain. Point being that its quite possible that the Canucks pick top 5 next year but it was unlikely that they picked top 5 when Naslund was named captain.

But...like someone else in here said...if you are weighing optics heavily then Brock should be your man.  Charasmatic, looks like a movie star / Prince ( ask my daughters lol), super talented,a dreamboat for a marketing department....no need to wait to see who emerges...the C is right in front of you...

I mentioned months ago that I thought Brock had taken a big bite out of Bo's "imminent" ascension to the throne, and I touched in it in this thread as well. If the Canucks opt not to go with a captain next year, or they do go with one of the vets, and Brock doesn't regress as a sophomore, I wouldn't be even the tiniest bit surprised if he gets it instead of Bo.

I think the organization at large is hesitant about the media and fans crowning Bo as the next one since the day he was drafted. It wasn't good for Bo then, and that ridiculous pressure wouldn't be good for him now. 

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I've never seen so many generational players in one generation. I guess one could argue the time frame is 10 years but in my mind there aren't that many generational players. There's a single generational player.

I am waiting for Tas to start talking about "Generational 3rd liners" next

1 hour ago, tas said:

I feel like waiting until training camp 2019 to name a captain is the most prudent choice, for that reason among others. 

\But but but what if we draft a generational talent in 2020????????????

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

\But but but what if we draft a generational talent in 2020????????????

Does anyone else on CDC realize that a generation is not one year?     Imm, you get it.   Do others?   A generation is at least 20 years.    

4 hours ago, Darius71 said:

In my mind there have been 4 generational players since the 80s...Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby and maybe McDavid.

This sounds reasonable to me. 

There is a long list of very good players like Sakic, Yzerman, Lindros, Ovechkin, Malkin, Bure etc.and any team would be more than happy to have them but these guys are still a notch below the best of the best.

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Does anyone else on CDC realize that a generation is not one year?     Imm, you get it.   Do others?   A generation is at least 20 years.    

Generational to me means Getzky, Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby and McDavid for forwards and Orr, Bourque, Lidstrom and Coffey on defence since 1970.

1 minute ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Generational to me means Getzky, Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby and McDavid for forwards and Orr, Bourque, Lidstrom and Coffee on defence since 1980.

I would remove one of those D and Lindros from the forwards - and we would align.  McDavid needs to step forward and lead his team the next few years to be approaching Crosby IMHO.   Of all of those, I know people can talk about the "Greatest" etc. but I think if I had one game to win and could pick one F and one D, it might be Crosby and Orr.

I got to give young Tas credit here.

His / Her basic premis is flawed, they have moved the goalposts,invoked the "not withstanding clause", answered apples with oranges and even used the dictionary, but with all that said 18 hours after starting this disaster Tas is still swinnging.  Lets have a round of applause for Tas for not backing down even under mounting seasoned and rational response to their unwavering but questionable logic.

5 hours ago, VanGnome said:

On 4 September 2012, the Colorado Avalanche announced Landeskog as team captain, at the time making him the youngest captain in NHL history. At 19 years and 286 days (or 19 years, nine months and 13 days), Landeskog was 11 days younger than when Sidney Crosby was named captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Horvat is 23 years old. Stop talking out of your ass.

i dont care if landeskog  was youngest captain in history  and crosby and mcjesus were to young to wear c i think bo shoukd be a assistant and guddy captain but thats me 

And Luongo stayed too....

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Didn't it happen with Luongo?

Can't believe I didn't mention the most obvious one...

7 hours ago, tas said:

Which of those was a Canadian media market?

Lu, not that it matters much. The point is, stripping them of the C hasn't ruined their careers.

You don't need the most talented player to wear the C. That should go to the best leader.

Look at Chicago, Kane is their best player, and they did alright.

18 hours ago, goalie13 said:

This is ridiculous, even by CDC standards.

You can name Horvat captain and still be able to draft the BPA.  I am confident that Benning will draft the type of character player that would be honoured to be an alternate captain.

Besides, 'Generational Talent' is a term that is WAY overused.

I was going to give the above post an upvote but there were so many upvotes already there was no room left.

18 hours ago, Master Mind said:

That's already happened with Brown, Marleau, and Thornton, and they've been fine since.

17 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Of the five highest-scoring players this season, only two are captains. 

Don't confuse me with facts.

Anyway, my vote is for Horvat. (Although I suspect that my vote does not count for much.)

20 hours ago, tas said:

At face value, the obvious answer to that question is, "how are those two things related and yes to both." Normally, the only two things pretty much universally agreed upon here are that Horvat is the captain in waiting and that the Canucks would benefit (duh) from drafting a generational talent. Here's a little food for thought: those things can't really go together. 

In 2018, the captain is almost always the team's best, highest paid, most marketable player. The days of having a less heralded, character guy as captain are pretty much entirely gone. This is especially true with generational players. They captain their teams. Even the ones you wouldn't expect to end up  captaining their teams (Ovechkin, Erik Karlsson).

Which leads us to Horvat. If you name him captain, the only way that'll change is if he retires, signs elsewhere, or gets traded. There is no scenario where you make the guy captain, take it away, and have him stay with the team. What happens when you name him captain and then the team sucks again next year and wins the 1st overall?

That's why the best plan is to go with no captain next year. You draft in June, play the year, draft again NEXT June. and then see what you have in the system. If you have a guy that is going to be the face of the franchise, you throw the C on Sutter or Gudbranson until the kid is ready and give Bo an A. If you don't, you give Bo the C and you better stop building and start winning. 

Image result for jesus face palm meme

Image result for your post is bad meme

3 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

You haven't understood the off-ice contributions of the Sedins to their teammates then. That's ok.

And who is the epitome of playoff hockey then? A bottom 6 veteran guy who has nothing to contribute except intangibles?

Sure, maybe, but in the Canucks’ case, it should be Horvat; a middle-six, soon-to-be vet, if we count games played. 

Archived