The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So do you want Horvat to captain this team, or do you want to draft a generational player?

tas

With the timing of it all, I think Bo is the easy choice.  He’s going to be the focal point of the team again next year and ticks all the boxes.  A guy like Sutter or Guddy or whoever else taking the C would just let the monkeys in the media and their toxic followers run a circus around the issue. 

If this decision gets made 2 years from now maybe Brock gives him a real run for his money but at this point he’s the easy pick. I’d be happy with Bo over waiting for Pettersson or Hughes even if they outstrip his production on the ice.

It it would be nice (in more than one way) if he took the next step to true star production.  He might and that would make the decision a slam dunk... but even at last year’s just under 60 point production he’s clearly the focal point of the team.

He’s not the blood and guts captain (yet) that some fans have anointed him to be.. but he’s big, strong, professional and doesn’t get pushed around.  A nice shift in the tone of the team even if it’s not as dramatic as some are wishing.

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

With the timing of it all, I think Bo is the easy choice.  He’s going to be the focal point of the team again next year and ticks all the boxes.  A guy like Sutter or Guddy or whoever else taking the C would just let the monkeys in the media and their toxic followers run a circus around the issue. 

If this decision gets made 2 years from now maybe Brock gives him a real run for his money but at this point he’s the easy pick. I’d be happy with Bo over waiting for Pettersson or Hughes even if they outstrip his production on the ice.

It it would be nice (in more than one way) if he took the next step to true star production.  He might and that would make the decision a slam dunk... but even at last year’s just under 60 point production he’s clearly the focal point of the team.

He’s not the blood and guts captain (yet) that some fans have anointed him to be.. but he’s big, strong, professional and doesn’t get pushed around.  A nice shift in the tone of the team even if it’s not as dramatic as some are wishing.

Good post ilduce.  Pretty much how I feel too, he's the C by default at this point as there really isn't any other candidates from the younger players that are even close yet (Boeser maybe, let's see his sophomore season first).  I get the blood and guts comment too, and hope that adding the C will bring an additional edge to his game and think it will come.    Definitely not in favour of giving it   to the highest scorer, and don't mind that he won't be one bit, just want more bark than we've had for a long time from whomever takes this on, and he's got the ability to back it up. Curious as to what the team does and what way they go about it.

Sutter would be my pick from the veteran group, I also feel that he's one guy left that we could flip for picks at the TDL, and now with Beagle here and Gaudette and even Dahlen in the wings that he's replaceable.

8 hours ago, appleboy said:

Generational player?

What if Pettersson and Hughes turn out to be just that. Let's call them potential organizational players. 

I'd throw Boeser in the mix as well.  Though a small sample size, he went from .55 ppg to .88 ppg last year.  It is entirely possible he's a point a game player this coming year, and that's playing with a good but not at all elite Horvat and an even less elite LW.  Who knows what his limit is.  Perhaps we've seen it, and perhaps we have not.  Factor in Pettersson (who I think will rip up this league) and Hughes, and that's 3 guys who are probably going to be better than Horvat on this team - plus a likely high draft pick this season, and Benning's magic might turn that into a 4th player better than Bo.

This isn't to say the captain has to be the best player on the team. I haven't read the whole thread and what people feel about that, but it is not uncommon for a "lesser" player to put on the C.  In the end, I don't really care.  Whoever it is must exemplify the traits management insists on for our players, is a player that will stick around for several years and is a player who is in the top 6 or top pairing.  So really, Bo checks the boxes for me....

On 2018-07-15 at 10:04 PM, kilgore said:

That is probably the best compromise.  I certainly do not see anyone else on the horizon other than Bo for Captain, at least not now. He is the perfect age as well. Young enough to grow with the team, and by the time we are contenders he will be one of our vets. But not too young to not have the respect of the room. But If there was a way to anoint a Sutter, or an Edler, even Del Zotto, or Guddy,with the C with the express condition told behind closed doors, that it would only be for a year, that or it would be rotated through the year between a few players.  But Bo would be wearing the A letter all season. And then, if all goes as planned, hand him the C at the start of next season.  Let him concentrate on polishing his game more. Ease him into the responsibility. This shouldn't be a fan based appointment.

That said, I wouldn't be handing in my seasons tickets if Bo was made captain for this coming season.  Can't actually afford season's tickets, just wanted to use that in a sentence ;)

Lol ... nice use of that in a sentence. ;)

I was leaning toward Edler this season but it doesn't make a lot of sense if he's only here until the deadline. 

Sutter would be a good choice for the "C" with Bo and Guddy wearing the "A".

If we deal Sutter away in a couple seasons, promote Bo when's gone and then slide Boeser into the open "A" when it's really their team.

It's interesting that Guddy's contract is up the same year as Sutter's. That leaves plenty of room for someone else to emerge as well. 

I like the idea of rotating A's to give the players a little more experience than just handing the A over to Horvat. They did it with Linden before he was captain and Henrik had the A for a few seasons. I can understand giving the C to a player like McDavid or the argument with  Mathews until Tavares showed up. There are a few players that can challenge Horvat for the C on a young Canucks team. Let's see Horvat fight for it a little more.

People are being quite liberal with the term generational player here. I think if thread keeps on going we're going to end up calling Adam Gaudette potentially being one lol.

That said I don't think Vancouver needs a generational player to win the cup. Detroit, Boston, and LA won the cup w/o one. Heck Detroit's 2008 core we're mostly players picked after the 1st round. 

• 4 weeks later...

With all that has gone down with the letting go of Linden and what not plus all the countess rumors surrounding the situation. Imagine if there was a big trade on the horizon that Linden wanted no part of. Imagine if there was a trade brewing with sending Bo to Ottawa plus picks for Erik Karlsson?

My question is first and foremost do YOU believe Bo is our next captain but most importantly do you believe our management believes he is our next captain. We all are stunned by the departure of Trevor (captain Canuck)

Say he left because of a trade like that (not necessarily with Bo but any of our young potential stars) was about to go down.

In this case Bo. What would your reaction be and do YOU believe he is our next capitain or the C should be givien to someone else (Boeser,Petterson,, Sutter, Edler, Tanev) I know there is another thread about who should get the C (this isnt about who should get the C, rather do you believe the Aqua clan has belief in Bo or not?)

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:06 PM, goalie13 said:

This is ridiculous, even by CDC standards.

You can name Horvat captain and still be able to draft the BPA.  I am confident that Benning will draft the type of character player that would be honoured to be an alternate captain.

Besides, 'Generational Talent' is a term that is WAY overused.

Naming Horvat captain now with this team at the stage it is and his age could affect his career negatively. As it is he will be subjected to enough media questions about the status of the team. The Sedins were professionals, they got used to answering/deflecting questions in neutral ways about losing. To put Horvat through talking about a lost game 50 or more times a year would simply put too much pressure, the Sedins were/got used to and accepted it, they had their families and the end of their careers so they could "grin and bear it" 

They brought in these FA vets to "shield" the young guys, I am sure the shielding extends to the interviews.

The term "generational" has supplanted the term "franchise" mostly because of the players connected with the term over the decades. Now it can be "sold" to fans that such and such player is generational for at least 4 years.

29 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Naming Horvat captain now with this team at the stage it is and his age could affect his career negatively. As it is he will be subjected to enough media questions about the status of the team. The Sedins were professionals, they got used to answering/deflecting questions in neutral ways about losing. To put Horvat through talking about a lost game 50 or more times a year would simply put too much pressure, the Sedins were/got used to and accepted it, they had their families and the end of their careers so they could "grin and bear it" 

They brought in these FA vets to "shield" the young guys, I am sure the shielding extends to the interviews. 

While those are fair points, they have nothing to do with the premise that the OP proposed.

The whole ridiculous point of the OP was that we could not name Horvat as captain AND draft generational talent because you may prefer the generational talent as captain in the future but would be stuck with Horvat as captain.

The whole point was moot however as the predicted generational talent was drafted by Buffalo.

On 17/04/2018 at 10:12 AM, goalie13 said:

It could have played out one of two ways.  McDavid could have been an excellent alternate captain for Hall, or Hall could have been an excellent alternate captain for McDavid.  

Not all situations have to be like the tire fire that Messier in Vancouver was.

The Oilers making McDavid the Captain at such a young age was a serious mistake.  I'll never understand what the hell was the rush to make him captain.  What's wrong with letting him just play hockey for a few years and establish himself without the pressure of answering for every loss?  The should have given the C to Lucic or another veteran. 

1 minute ago, Zedlee said:

The Oilers making McDavid the Captain at such a young age was a serious mistake.  I'll never understand what the hell was the rush to make him captain.  What's wrong with letting him just play hockey for a few years and establish himself without the pressure of answering for every loss?  The should have given the C to Lucic or another veteran. 

Which is fine.  I don't have any issue with that.  I had issue with the concept that naming Horvat captain somehow made it a mistake to draft the best player available because that might cause conflict down the road, or be an issue for the marketing department.

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

Which is fine.  I don't have any issue with that.  I had issue with the concept that naming Horvat captain somehow made it a mistake to draft the best player available because that might cause conflict down the road, or be an issue for the marketing department.

Understood and I totally agree.  The captain doesn't have to be the "best player"...he has to be a good player but more importantly a good leader and teammate.  Someone who is respected.  That is Bo Horvat.  

Bo ?   Edler ?  Sutter ?   are a few that i think could lead this team.......

Captain does not have to be the best player...  but needs to be a leader on and off the ice  .  A guy that plays the game the " right ' way  . 

Archived