The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tavares done with Islanders according to Sportsnet 590 Broadcaster (Toronto)

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

First name that comes to mind is Scott Niedermeyer in Anaheim.

He was early 30's when he signed for almost league max (at the time) to play for the Ducks.

I can't recall exactly but I remember that as a four year deal. You just don't see this situation often. A franchise player switching teams at this age for a mega deal.  Stamkos was close. 

2 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. The NYI were significantly better than us and they still missed the playoffs. 

I'm all for signing JT just because players of his caliber don't hit the market very often and he would fill such a huge void for us. But I would be just as happy if he signed elsewhere (hopefully in the east) and we werent on the hook for the last couple years of a 7 year deal.

He's only 27 right now, so he'd still be 34 by the end of a 7 year agreement. Structure it with a modified NTC for the last 2 years and a lower actual payout with a higher cap hit, and he becomes an attractive rental if he's showing signs of decline.

Personally, if we can, I'm not saying that he instantly makes us a cup contender, but he moves us much closer to that, and would provide us with options to make other moves to balance the team. My opinion of what has been happening with the Islanders is that a lot of their failure is due to team balance and being in a fairly constant state of fluctuation in terms of where they will be playing. They are a team that is in a somewhat similar position to Arizona, where they really don't know if they are staying in NY or will have to move due to lack of a suitable building. Don't underestimate the effect that can have on a team, psychologically.

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Marian Hossa might be another example... he played well in Pittsburgh and Detroit and was a pretty big part of Chicago's success.  I know he's overshadowed by Toews/Kane/Keith but Hossa was a pretty dang good player picked up as a FA.  

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

I can't recall exactly but I remember that as a four year deal. You just don't see this situation often. A franchise player switching teams at this age for a mega deal.  Stamkos was close. 

Speaking of Hossa...Kovalchuck would be another example (that turned out great lol).... the other one I can think of off the top of my head is Parise, although he's maybe not quite a franchise player.  

5 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Marian Hossa might be another example... he played well in Pittsburgh and Detroit and was a pretty big part of Chicago's success.  I know he's overshadowed by Toews/Kane/Keith but Hossa was a pretty dang good player picked up as a FA.  

Yes. Hossa is an example. A good example and a heck of a player.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

except BB is one dimensional, whereas Bo is played in all situations and far more valuable to the team.

I beg to differ. When Bo was injured, what happened to Boeser's production? Boeser is far from a one dimensional player. He is a complete player and will only get better after 1 full season. I love Bo but if I really had to choose between 1 it would be Boeser in a heartbeat.

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

#1. Didn't know about the injured part for buying out thanks

#2. LTIR I guess eliminates it from the Salary Cap?

#3. Not disrespectful if it's to help the team to sign someone to help them win lol. He would still be part of the organization.

Sorry if I came off as harsh, he's been a big part of our organization, and could see him continuing in some capacity when his contract expires and he officially retires. I think a large part of this teams problem past the first 20 games, was the absence of Doresett's influence on the Canucks playing style.

He provided an element that we really missed the last 2 years and needs to be replaced.

This is his last contract, it will run out under LTIR and he'll retire from the NHL.

2 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Speaking of Hossa...Kovalchuck would be another example (that turned out great lol).... the other one I can think of off the top of my head is Parise, although he's maybe not quite a franchise player.  

Praise deal isn't looking good. But I believe along the same lines Suter is looking like a good long term pick up. 

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He's only 27 right now, so he'd still be 34 by the end of a 7 year agreement. Structure it with a modified NTC for the last 2 years and a lower actual payout with a higher cap hit, and he becomes an attractive rental if he's showing signs of decline.

Personally, if we can, I'm not saying that he instantly makes us a cup contender, but he moves us much closer to that, and would provide us with options to make other moves to balance the team. My opinion of what has been happening with the Islanders is that a lot of their failure is due to team balance and being in a fairly constant state of fluctuation in terms of where they will be playing. They are a team that is in a somewhat similar position to Arizona, where they really don't know if they are staying in NY or will have to move due to lack of a suitable building. Don't underestimate the effect that can have on a team, psychologically.

I'm not saying he doesn't make us a better team, he clearly does. But we're more than 1 piece away from being a playoff team

Also, JT will be 28 before the season starts, so on a 7 year deal, JT would be 34 and 35 in years 6 and 7. Not ideal paying him $10-11M for those seasons. 

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm not saying he doesn't make us a better team, he clearly does. But we're more than 1 piece away from being a playoff team

Also, JT will be 28 before the season starts, so on a 7 year deal, JT would be 34 and 35 in years 6 and 7. Not ideal paying him $10-11M for those seasons. 

He doesn't turn 28 until Sept 20th, so when he signs July 1st with a team, he will still be 27 and on a 7 year deal, it would end while his is still 34.

Agree completely that we are more than 1 piece away from being a playoff team, but this moves us closer and would allow us to make other trades to bring us closer. JB needs to show this coming season, that we are moving significantly in the right direction, towards being a playoff team again.

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

He doesn't turn 28 until Sept 20th, so when he signs July 1st with a team, he will still be 27 and on a 7 year deal, it would end while his is still 34.

Agree completely that we are more than 1 piece away from being a playoff team, but this moves us closer and would allow us to make other trades to bring us closer. JB needs to show this coming season, that we are moving significantly in the right direction, towards being a playoff team again.

Lol his next contract doesn't start until October...when he will be 28 years old. 28 + 7 = 35. A 7 year deal would end a few months shy of his 36th bday. 

29 minutes ago, HOFsedins said:

I beg to differ. When Bo was injured, what happened to Boeser's production? Boeser is far from a one dimensional player. He is a complete player and will only get better after 1 full season. I love Bo but if I really had to choose between 1 it would be Boeser in a heartbeat.

And that's exactly what it is, a difference of opinion.  I love Boes' game, he's the best finisher the team has had since Naslund, but he's not a driver of the play the way Bo is.

Just now, VIC_CITY said:

Lol his next contract doesn't start until October...when he will be 28 years old. 28 + 7 = 35. A 7 year deal would end a few months shy of his 36th bday. 

At the start of his first year, he'll be 28. At the start of his seventh year he'll be 34. At the end of his seventh year he will still be 34. When he's a free agent again after signing a max deal he will still be 34. No idea where you're getting 35 from let alone 36.

9 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Contracts get signed in July, for the most part. They expire on June 30, which is why we have a July 1 frenzy lol

4 hours ago, Xbox said:

At the start of his first year, he'll be 28. At the start of his seventh year he'll be 34. At the end of his seventh year he will still be 34. When he's a free agent again after signing a max deal he will still be 34. No idea where you're getting 35 from let alone 36.

Sorry, my math is a year off. He'll be a couple months shy of 35 at the end of a 7 year deal.

Still, I can't think of many 33/34 year olds worth $8M, nevermind $10-11M. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have JT, but I'm just as happy staying away from the long term UFA market. 

Times have changed. When you strike gold, you lock that player up long term at a young age, taking them up to about 30 years old. Then it's time to move on and you better have another wave of players ready to take over. Otherwise you'll end up like every other GM, pressed up againat the cap, paying your highest paid players for what they used to be. 

4 hours ago, Xbox said:

As long as he's not paid as much as McDavid on the open markets, Tavares is going to be one of the safest UFA signings in a long time. Max deal takes him to 34 not bad at all.

I could care less what he gets paid as long as that salary cap figure is about $10-10.5M I would be more than happy to call him a Canuck!

Bet $$$$ that Canucks win the cup......

Sign some free agents....

Make a couple trades and improve the defence.....

Win the cup in 2019.....

Win a ton of $$$$...

Kovalchuk Tavares Boeser

Maroon Horvat Pettersson
Lucic Sutter Virtanen

Leipsic Gaudette Archibald 

Gaunce 

Edler Berrie 

Hanifin Tanev 

Juolevi Stetcher

Gudbranson 

Markstrom