The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

13 minutes ago, sonoman said:

If Hughes is committed to Michigan next year, he would not be eligible to play NCAA if he attends camp.  Is this correct? 

No ! He can attend camp, but no money can be involved. No freebies ( meals ? lodging ? )

• Cheers 1

He's making the team next year. He's NHL ready, as he showed at the world's. 

This kid runs a line. The concerns about his defensive play should be distinguished because when he's on the ice his team almost always has the puck.

Boeser,  Pettersson, and Hughes... we have been getting some major draft luck lately. These guys are exactly what we've been needing. As others have said, I haven't been this excited right away about a draft pick ever. Hughes could turn out to be the steal of this draft - our very own Patrick Kane ho plays D :o

• Upvote 2

If Jack Hughes is the real deal next year at the Vancouver draft and we, of course, don’t win the lottery, do we have the prospects to get that #1 pick?????

2019 #1 to Vancouver for....

2019 #9, #40, Gaudette 

Sorry, way ahead of my self here but we need to select #1 in front of Vancity

3 hours ago, Alexandre said:

#1 Dman! Never expected to get one. No wonder Benning was excited. Good things do come in small packages!

Super excited. He could potentially become the best defenceman in the franchise history. 

Now I feel like we have players in place that has potential to become the best ever in the franchise history, well, except that we might still be missing the game breaker like Bure.

Pettersson: Best playmaker. Currently held by Henrik.

Boeser: Best goal scorer. Currently held by Bure, Daniel, and Naslund. 

Horvat: Most complete player (Selke type player). Currently Linden and I guess Kesler.

Juolevi/Hughes: Best defenceman. I don't know who would be considered the best defenceman in our franchise. Ohlund? Lumme? Salo? Jovo? Lidster?

Demko: Best goalie. Probably Luongo and McLean. Might be hard to beat Luongo's NHL career but might have a shot at Luongo's Vancouver career.

We are missing the game breaker of Bure's caliber but I guess that will be taken care of in 2019 draft with Jack Hughes.

Above with the supporting cast of Gaudette, Virtanen, Dahlen, Lind, Woo, Briesbois, DiPietro, ...

i'm looking forward to the next wave of the Canucks team coming up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, khay said:

Super excited. He could potentially become the best defenceman in the franchise history. 

Now I feel like we have players in place that has potential to become the best ever in the franchise history, well, except that we might still be missing the game breaker like Bure.

Pettersson: Best playmaker. Currently held by Henrik.

Boeser: Best goal scorer. Currently held by Bure, Daniel, and Naslund. 

Horvat: Most complete player (Selke type player). Currently Linden and I guess Kesler.

Juolevi/Hughes: Best defenceman. I don't know who would be considered the best defenceman in our franchise. Ohlund? Lumme? Salo? Jovo? Lidster?

Demko: Best goalie. Probably Luongo and McLean. Might be hard to beat Luongo's NHL career but might have a shot at Luongo's Vancouver career.

We are missing the game breaker of Bure's caliber but I guess that will be taken care of in 2019 draft with Jack Hughes.

Above with the supporting cast of Gaudette, Virtanen, Dahlen, Lind, Woo, Briesbois, DiPietro, ...

i'm looking forward to the next wave of the Canucks team coming up.

Great post!  I :wub: the young guys JB is collecting! 

khay - I think Boeser and Pettersson could be considered game-breakers. 

I have to say, when DET took Zadina, I thought VAN would definitely take a D. Benning approached the mic and I thought for sure he was going to select Bouchard. I am so happy he didn't. When he announced Hughes, I was kind of stunned. We got Hughes?! We finally got our #1 puck moving D?! Mesh him and Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Juolevi, Dahlen, etc. and the Canucks will be a team to be reckoned with down the road. I also really like the Woo pick (who could've gone 1st round if he wasn't injured). Woo will be a rock on the back end. Canucks now have quite a bit of speed and skill throughout their depth chart. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

So what he did in the World Championship playing Defense with NHLers means nothing ? If he thinks he can play, play him here not UTICA. 

You play which is best for his development

40 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

I agree on the start in Van 9 games , then If he goes down after the 9 games call in the goon squad find the toughest D man to pair with him and protect him . Still playing here is his best option other than College but I prefer to get him under contract. Strike will the iron is hot. 

The 9 games only applies to players going back to Jr.  If Hughes signs, he's playing pro this year.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I am still giddy.  I wouldn't trade Hughes for Morgan Reilly. Kids got game.

I am too, still can't believe we got him. Knew about his talent and skills, but not much about him as a person. From the interviews I've seen, he seems like a really down to earth kid who's very humble and soft spoken. He'll let his play do the talking. Also great to hear that he wanted to play in a Canadian market and thrives under pressure. Late in the game he'll be on the ice with the puck on his stick. His coaches have compared him to Bobby Orr and even called him a generational player. Canucks hockey is going to be so fun to watch moving forward. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

What’s a Brian? Lol obviously kid will say the right stuff in front of the camera and media. What do you expect him to say? No I won’t sign with Vancouver unless I’m guaranteed a spot? Most college kids don’t sign with their teams until they feel they are NHL ready. Else why didn’t Boeser or gaudette sign their entry level and play in Utica instead of college? Ya I’ll go grow some Brian whatever that’s suppose to be lol

Come up to the lab

See what's on the slab

I'm growing a man

With blonde hair and a tan..

Don't think I've ever had a feeling where we drafted someone and thought immediately this kid could have an impact the same fall. It's almost as if we won the lottery.. it's a good feeling. 

IMO, Hughes makes the team. He has to, he's already our best defenseman.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

No disrespect to Zadina, but I think DET made the wrong pick. Players like (D) Hughes (fast, mobile, smooth skating, soft hands, excellent passer, hockey IQ, vision and awareness, etc) are very difficult to come by, if ever. From what I understand, Hughes and his family had a connection with DET and he played for Michigan. I'm sure they thought when DET went to the podium he was expecting to be picked, but they chose Zadina instead. Wingers are much easier to acquire, their value isn't as high IMO. I know Zadina is very good, but c'mon, Quinn Hughes. 

Now we'll all be discussing how we can get his brother at the Vancouver Draft (2019). Could happen. The Hockey Gods have a strange way of working. Sedins retire, in comes Pettersson and Dahlen, and the Hughes brothers? We can hope.

Aside from that I think during the draft that it was mentioned that he may be the only defenceman of the draft that may eventually be better than Dahlin. Hughes was the best skater in the draft anyways. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

NBC had way better coverage.

More proof that TSN is garbage.

I think you meant Sportsnet Deniro?  Anyhow, yeah, a big difference in that coverage...it was enjoyable to watch and a little more sophisticated than "that is a small body gentlemen"