The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Were they better skaters? (honest question)

I recall Juolevi as a great skater. But correct, never to the extent he was considered the top of his draft class. Simply the ''mobile D concept'' as skating goes... I think (correct me if need be) the same applies to Ty Smith this year, albeit he is a bit more nimble.

I also only recall Chychrun & Serg as BIG guys who could skate. Serg with some agility that gave him added junk, ability to undress opposition. Chychrun with some man child strength, win battles, clear the net. I liked that!  Debated Chychrun as 2knd or 3rd in the draft, pre-draft. And I liked Serg, yet did not know where he fit. Was excited we simply got a top D, wanted a top D desperately. Was going to roll with a GM's superior knowledge of who it was, when we selected OJ? That's how I felt at the time!

But Quinn by comparison was considered the single fastest player in the draft. And with electric agility. Even more so, was going to enter the NHL directly in the conversation among the fastest guys in the NHL? I don't recall that conversation applying  to any D OJ's draft year.

Quin Hughes (some said his skating was exceptional) is not the only player rated as one of the fastest skaters in the 2018 draft. Also in the mix (whether we agree or not) are:

Merkley - some said he is the fastest

Noel

Boqvist

Dahlin - some said his skating is sublime

Foudy

Berggren

Kupari

Just spitballing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't think @Rob_Zepp's worry in characterization of what Quinn might be like was far off Housley?

I did not watch so much in Buffalo. But was in Winnipeg when Phil was going off!.  Everyone was first upset Hawerchuck was traded. But, man, Phil was a wizard with the puck, amazing! And he was all over the place! He was also not great defensively.  +/- a ??? stat, but -15 or -20 by memory when he put up nearly a 100 points. He also got torched.    

All over the place, but usually on forays that started south of centre.  I recall him wandering, not playing as a quasi forward. Those were also the days before elite fitness. And guys shifting off on the way back from the offensive zone. Versus back checking or catching up to the play.  Not like Karlsson who gets up ice, has the speed to get back & cover his tracks.

I see much better defensive presence from Quinn, and in the way we coach / deploy PMD's in general today? Part of the reason the category as a whole is becoming more prevalent is the risks the D are taking is being better managed. See Nashville, Boston! But Phil had the skills!     

I am a tad young to have seen Housley in his prime so I did some digging and watched some film and YES, a comparable for sure.    I the Hughes has finally someone that is remotely close to his style of play that you could compare him to.   Housley seemed to be a 4th forward many, many times.   If the chemistry he had with Selanne could be the same with Hughes and Boeser for example....and wow.    

Thanks to whoever originally suggested this as a compare as I was not thinking any of the other names made much sense.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

He definitely reminds me of Housley. It’s nice to see we could have 3 Calder finalists in a row. If Hughes can tone down the defensive giveaways a bit,  we could have the best defender in club history on our hands. 

To be honest it's not a very high bar to achieve.

3 hours ago, TGokou said:

To be honest it's not a very high bar to achieve.

Are you on crack? 

HHOF, Over 1200 career points in (under 1500 :wacko:) games. 0.82 points per game over 2o years. 

Imagine if we could even project Quinn Hughes to play 1500 NHL games?   

• Wat 2

50 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Are you on crack? 

HHOF, Over 1200 career points in (under 1500 :wacko:) games. 0.82 points per game over 2o years. 

Imagine if we could even project Quinn Hughes to play 1500 NHL games?   

From how I read it the "not hard to achieve" was being the best defender in our franchise history. So the comparison is to our best defenders in franchise history. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

From how I read it the "not hard to achieve" was being the best defender in our franchise history. So the comparison is to our best defenders in franchise history. 

Yup that's what I was trying to get at. Thx!

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

I have a tinfoil hat answer for why Quinn and JB chose for him to stay one more year in college.  It has a lot to do with giving us the best odds at drafting his brother, Jack, in 2019.  Both Quinn and JB know how much better he will make our D, and don’t want his play to bring us to 14th last.  Without Quinn, we are bottom 5.  With Quinn we might push for 16th, which would ruin any chance to get Jack.  

It’s a theory Alf.  Without Hughes we will likely not be as good.  The talking heads have made a big deal of the Twins not being in the roster this season.  They were 50pt players. We will see an increase in scoring from Horvat, Boeser and Baer this year.  Pettersson should be able to at least match one of the Twins production and then guys like JV and LE have to increase production. 

With Pettersson taking over half of those minutes, if he plays with Eriksson and Virtannen, that line has a good combo of skill, two way play, forcheck and hopefully scoring.  

That would be a good second line. If Pettersson struggles, throw Gagner in there. 

I honestly don’t think Hughes gets us any more wins this season.  More exciting games, but we have such a weak defence and goal, who keeps the pucks out?  

With only OJ coming in as a rookie, our d is not going to do the job. Markstrom and Nielsen Are the worst tandem in the NHL. 

We are not a playoff team yet...  but I don’t see us worse than last year, a little better and if we can stay healthy with improved depth we could be competitive until the TDL. 

Hard not to be excited for Pettersson and to see what kind of impact he could have on our roster,, but how much can we count on another Rookie to preform like Boeser did last year. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎06 at 10:56 AM, Baratheon said:

That's fair and I agree.  I have absolutely nothing negative to say about Hughes right now.  Saying that everyone would take Dahlin over Hughes is not a critisism.  

Would you have taken Hughes 2nd at the time or just in hindsight? Now that his hunger to win games has surprised people?  If so I would say that you are alone.  The 2018 draft thread is there to flip through if you want to see where peoples heads were at.

People here started pumping Hughes as a top 2 guy AFTER he was ours.  I stand by my statement.  It's a pretty clear example of homerism.

You're right. I didn't see much at all of Hughes before this summer, and I'm basing my comments on my personal observation. I'm a homer, I guess, and I'm OK with that. Peace.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Kushman said:

I don't understand the obsession with trying to elevate our draft pick to the rank of undisputed #1 and in the process trying to devalue the other great players in this draft simply because the Canucks did not get a chance to draft them. Can we just be happy that we were able to draft an excellent player in Hughes? It will make zero difference in the future that he was drafted #7 or if he had been drafted #2 or #1... None of these players have even played an NHL game yet, but so many posters are eager to elevate Hughes because the Canucks drafted him, and devalue Dahlin because we missed out. Prior to the draft lottery, 99% of posters were praying we won the lottery so we could draft Dahlin, now all of a sudden since we got Hughes, its "Hughes will have a better career, Dahlin isn't that great, etc etc". They are two completely different players despite both of them playing the same position. Hughes may end up being a better offensive weapon, whereas Dahlin may end up being a better all around dman... time will only tell, but can we stop with all this should of could of ranking nonsense. Just be happy that we were able to snag Hughes when no one prior to the draft thought that he would even be available by the time our pick came about. 

Book ends of excellence!

I always look at a 1st rounder, within the context of it's season. For example, if you're lousy(like Flamers), yet still have no bloody pick.. THAT must be a freeken'nightmare!

In our case, we got this amazing young talent, yet one could argue Van had a surprisingly promising yr. If we didn't get hit by a slew of injuries, would say they could've been in the WC fight 'til late March, perhaps(?)

We had a super start, & a brilliant finish(aforementioned book ends). Going forward, the team has to whittle down this injury-thing(that usually surfaces mid-season). Speed, size, youth, & controlling play will hopefully help in that regard.

• Cheers 1