The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

25 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya i agree Edler has been solid for most his career and has never made more than 5 Million a season. You cant complain too much...  

26 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Ya i agree Edler has been solid for most his career and has never made more than 5 Million a season. You cant complain too much...  

Third round pick to boot!

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Nice to have you back. I had my time away from the forum as well and came back recently. I love hockey. Love watching, playing, coaching, talking. Great time to be a Canuck fan. I watched the Young Stars this weekend and came away totally impressed. Keeping in mind our arguably best prospect Hughes wasnt even there. I truly believe the hockey gods smiled on us the day Hughes fell into our draft slot. 

the bandwagon fills

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Nice to have you back. I had my time away from the forum as well and came back recently. I love hockey. Love watching, playing, coaching, talking. Great time to be a Canuck fan. I watched the Young Stars this weekend and came away totally impressed. Keeping in mind our arguably best prospect Hughes wasnt even there. I truly believe the hockey gods smiled on us the day Hughes fell into our draft slot. 

we should start a new thread. The Church of Hockey Gods

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I went and watched Hughes highlights again . Wow, this kid is special. I think I will rewatch them occasionally through the season just to keep my spirits up.

Don't worry by the time the Michigan season starts you will have new highlights to watch every week. ::D

Edited by Specz
  • Upvote 2

On 9/10/2018 at 11:49 PM, aGENT said:

We talking Edler here? To be fair, a very solid 11 years and counting career as a #2D is not exactly, not panning out.

Would him being a multi Norris winning legit #1D have been better? Sure.

Completely agree with you here. Edler has had a solid career and I would love to have him back.

But there were some people that saw him as #1D, and the media overhyped him as second coming of Lidstrom.

Edler did look like he was on his way to becoming something special. 42 points in 2009-2010 season as a 23,24 years old. It did look like he would become a 50-60 point player during his prime years. I think back injury stunted his development and he plateaued into #2/#3 Dman rather than a #1 D. Still very good player and we need him moving forward as we integrate some of our youth into the lineup. To be fair, only Hughes and Juolevi has a legit shot at becoming better than him at some point.

• Cheers 1

I know what you mean, and I truly hope that he signs with us before next seasons draft.

It's just that His brother Jack stated he would love to play on the same team as Quinn(Canucks)

Jack is the consensus #1 pick next year,

I think it is pretty obvious that they would want to play on the same team

Quinn could hold out , become a F/A and then sign with whomever wins the lottery and picks Jack.

It would sure help me out if we won the lottery or traded up to #1 to end up with both Hughes brothers! :)

8 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

I know what you mean, and I truly hope that he signs with us before next seasons draft.

It's just that His brother Jack stated he would love to play on the same team as Quinn(Canucks)

Quinn could hold out , become a F/A and then sign with whomever wins the lottery and picks Jack.

It would sure help me out if we won the lottery or traded up to #1 to end up with both Hughes brothers! :)

The Hughes brothers could have played on the same team this year. It doesn't seem like they did everything possible to make that happen. In fact, they seemed to shy away from the idea of playing together. Either brother could have opted into the other's team.

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

I think holding out is more common among lower draft picks, but for first round picks that have the chance to crack the roster before draft + 2 years, they would be foregoing a lot of salary just for the chance to play with someone they like.

If Quinn Hughes holds out, then he has to stay unsigned for 4 years (if I'm not mistaken). So he would have to stay in college until the end of draft + 4 seasons and only gets a chance to make the NHL starting draft + 5 season. At which point, I think he can only sign an ELC deal (850K + bonus for 3 years). So that's 7 seasons before he even becomes an RFA and a chance to make millions. In the meantime, his younger brother Jack makes the NHL right out of the gate and Quinn is just sitting in his college dorm room, watching his brother live out his dream of playing in the NHL.

On the contrary, if Quinn signs with us at the end of Michigan's season (as Boeser and Gaud did), he burns one year of his ELC. By the end of draft + 3 seasons he would hit RFA status and a chance to make whatever he is worth. So starting from draft + 4 season, he is set to make millions vs 850K. Just look at Boeser, he will sign for at least 6 mil as long as this season is a repeat of what he did last season. If he somehow puts up 40+ goals, then we are looking at 7+mil. If Quinn is as advertised, he will commend at least 5-6 mil as an RFA. If he comes in and scores 50+ points during his ELC years, he is gonna get paid.

So no. I don't worry about holding out. There's just too much to lose for the player. If they really want to play together, they can sign as UFA when they are 28 years and have already made enough money to be content with.

Edited by khay
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Thing about the college guys that wait is they lose earning years. Quin said he was really looking forward to playing in Vancouver and indicated that he would likely sign next year.