The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

It could change as last night was only pre-tournament but I wouldn't look too much into those "lines" in that photo.

Tyler Madden played wing all night, Josh Norris was one of the top C's. Jack Hughes played C. Quinn Hughes played the left side with Kemp as his right side partner. Barratt & Cates definitely played further down the lineup. And Jason Robertson was on one of the top lines with Norris IIRC.

As far as Jack Hughes goes, I think if people are expecting him to dominate this tournament perhaps they should dial their expectations back a bit. You could see his talent & smarts last night for sure. He's really good at creating turnovers in the offensive zone when the other team is trying to get out. I thought third was his best period, at one point he & Quinn were moving the puck back and forth in the O zone kinda like the Sedin's used too. But overall I didn't think that Jack was dominant.

That's not a knock on him either. He's 17 & as they say its a 19-year-old tournament. While bigger players like Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi & the Tkachuck's have had success not everyone does. Mackinnon didn't dominate this tournament (or even really play a factor in it) in his draft year either & has turned out fine. So I hope people don't sour on Jack at all after the tournament if he doesn't dominate. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Old school nuck said:

And playing lw to Madden's more complete game at centre perhaps.

Jack is 17 and a young future draftee.

Quinn looks to be on rd perhaps that's an option next year to ease the ld logjam.

From what I’ve gleaned, he has no preference and likes the options that playing on the off side can open up.   Kids mostly a rover and ends up all over the ice anyways. (He’s played LD so far in pre tourney.). 

I really dont think that roster is what is what the coaches have in pen.  Just a roster list really. 

Ideally (for me at least), we deal BOTH of Edler and Tanev for 1sts and prospects... and then walk into UFA ready to shop for blueliners...  which could mean more Edler, which at the right price I’d be totally fine with. 

The addition of Hughes (and I’m still hoping for this season) is going to be a game changer for the Canucks offence. 

14 minutes ago, 70seven said:

From what I’ve gleaned, he has no preference and likes the options that playing on the off side can open up.   Kids mostly a rover and ends up all over the ice anyways. (He’s played LD so far in pre tourney.). 

I really dont think that roster is what is what the coaches have in pen.  Just a roster list really. 

Ideally (for me at least), we deal BOTH of Edler and Tanev for 1sts and prospects... and then walk into UFA ready to shop for blueliners...  which could mean more Edler, which at the right price I’d be totally fine with. 

The addition of Hughes (and I’m still hoping for this season) is going to be a game changer for the Canucks offence. 

There are 30 other teams looking for dmen.  

Trading away 1 would be risky and trading away both would be a disaster.  

“F*** you Bo, Elias and Brock. We don’t care about winning and being a good team. Let’s undo all the good we’ve done this year.” 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

There are 30 other teams looking for dmen.  

Trading away 1 would be risky and trading away both would be a disaster.  

“F*** you Bo, Elias and Brock. We don’t care about winning and being a good team. Let’s undo all the good we’ve done this year.” 

Undo?  

Its a rebuild.  Additional 1sts, top prospects, and cap space to add to the Horvat Boeser Pettersson Hughes core...  it’s good asset management....  this team needs more lottery tickets and for that to happen, u have to move on aging and expiring assets.  Edler and Tanev are solid 2nd pair defenders.  Will they be when Nux are ready to compete for a cup?

Wouldn’t it be better to have another top 10 pick of our own and another 1st or two?

Id WAY rather the future assets and cap space to help replace the veteran loss (and likely upgrade) on D, regardless of current “success”.  

Long term picture.

Edited by 70seven
  • Upvote 2

Good catch on the alphabetical list guys.

The best situation with Edler is trading him then signing him on July 1. I wonder if he would be interested in that.

Tanev still has another year left, if you could get a 1st & a prospect I think you gotta look at it. But on the otherhand not having those 2 or even losing just 1 makes an already bad defense even worse.

Quinn Hughes can't fix that himself & Juolevi might need a month or two next season to get back up to speed before a call up (basically the same plan they had for him this year). You can't go into next year hoping those 2 will carry the defense.

I know Botch floated that they might try/are going to rebuild the defense but the track record with this regime isn't actually great with trading for defenseman & recent key UFA signings so my confidence isn't exactly sky high in them doing a great job of it, even tho it is good to know they see the problem we have on D.

Nikita Tryamkin is the big wildcard here.

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Quinn Hughes discusses his fight, the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship, his brother Jack Hughes, Elias Pettersson and Michael DiPietro.

Cannot wait to see him in a Canuck uniform.  He sounds very excited to become a Canuck.   Great kid. 

On 12/22/2018 at 3:52 AM, alfstonker said:

Interesting you think that. I watched the draft and the difference in the reaction of his brothers was apparent. What it means can be translated in different ways though.

Luke: "Tough luck bro'"

Although the only teams he may have wanted more could have been Chicago or the Oilers. I'd imagine he would have felt playing with McDavid in a Canadian market would have been cool, who knows? Every kid will have a favourite but it's not like Toronto were even close.

Jack: "You lucky guy, getting to play with Pettersson." or "You were never going to Toronto so you may as well make the best of it"

Having said that, joking aside he actually seemed to be elated in the interview and his Mom and Dad looked really happy.

z77vxDR.png

lpL9KzE.png

I just meant I wish he gave us fans a little morsel of excitement when asked about guys like Petey and Brock. This is me being an excited and selfish fan (of course some people would jump to conclusions and interpret my statement as panicky). It's just not who he is, tho, or how he was raised. QH has been a professional since a much younger age than most guys, so he's quite mature for his age. 

His latest video, however, is exactly what I have been hoping to hear from him, which is that he's excited to be in van and about what guys like Petey are doing. As soon as he started saying those things I started to smile like an excited fan. I can't wait to watch this guy at the WJC and then with our young Nucks, m'gawd!

• Upvote 1

The lineup makes me want to create random Canucks lineups based on things that have nothing to do with lineup like alphabetical order just to see how many suckers from CDC would be like "why is Pettersson on the 3rd or 4th line while you have Archibald on the 1st line?"

• Haha 2