The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

12 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I've had a place in Nova Scotia for 25 years + and it is nice ……. if you can handle the them and us mentality. If you're from "away" you're just not one of the community. You didn't make mention of the fog which seems to prevail on the coast for extended periods in the summer. It's good but no nirvana. Best described by the Times of London ( post 9/11 ) when it said if you wish to step back in time 50 years this is the place for you or Der Spiegel ( paraphrasing ) describing it as the last all white third world country ( no offence meant for the PC'ers ). It has it's charm for sure but reality will come with time :-) And if you wish to sell your place at some time …. well good luck. One startling stat is there is a higher mortality rate than birth rate in NS ie the Province is dying

I can't tell why the community considers you from away....

Fred, 

In St George's bay, we hardly get fog  that's more of a Bay of Fundy thing.  Due to the massive swing in tides there is dramatic fog.   Makes it one of most mysterious and dangerous bodies of water in Canada. The Eastern Shore is another foggy place.

I have the best beach season in Canada at my front door every summer.  20 plus degree water and walk out sandy beaches from July to October.  I can back country bike/hike and ski from my back door, I have a 10 minute commute to work, there is a university, schools, hospital and shopping nearby and I can  kayak almost all year round.  

Surfing here is way more accessible and if it was ever 'discovered' to what extent and how good it can be the local surfers would hate it.

Der Spiegel can kiss my ass.  Considering all the Germans I meet trying move here every year, I don't see that as accurate at all.  

Just a tip, you come across as condescending and rude.  This is my home and my daughters birth place.  I chose to be here because it is s beautiful place to live.  Guess you didn't see that thru all the fog...

Phat Fingers.

Good for you. I believe I've lived there for long enough ( 25 years + ) to make a fair appraisal. Apart from declining in population ( which I see you didn't see fit to mention)  NS without equalization payment and a continuous stream to folks flying back and forth to Alberta bringing much need income into the economy iit would be dead. Young folks are mostly leaving because the future there is grim. I too live on the water front with a great beach in front of my house, but I can afford it because I worked in Vancouver. Industry is rare in fact I'd hazard a guess that if the numerous universities were to close plus the Government supported Naval bases and dockyard it might be the death knell for Halifax. NS doesn't have a future ( currently ) and shows no sign of accomplishing that either. They suck from the Canadian teet and offer little back.

I live on the Southshore and the Main Street is full of second hand clothes shops or boarded up. Heavy drinking is prevalent as is smoking, business is not good and it's infrequent that start ups last more than a couple of year. No one wants to invest in a dying economy.  My daughter grew up there in her child days but works in Vancouver now, of all her youthfull friends two remain locally

Here's a tip Phat boy take off the rose coloured glasses

15 hours ago, RJ Fletcher said:

Uplifting post - thanks!

I’ve only visited briefly, but it was awesome. 

That's true. It's a great place to visit. I have friends that visit during the summer months and all go away happy.  Now try and get a job there and provide for your family. Beautiful scenery doesn't pay the bills I'm afraid. NS is subsidized heavily as I suspect is NB and PEI (?) The armed forces provide much of the subsidies so next time you see a naval/coast guard ship being ordered and wonder why the Vancouver yards never get a sniff or rarely any way, now you'll know why. I see a Call Centre was closed just yesterday in Sydney and of course  the movie Industry was given short shrift when the NS Government refused to invest in it. It's just one failure after another, how's that for awesome  :gocan:

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Phat Fingers.

Good for you. I believe I've lived there for long enough ( 25 years + ) to make a fair appraisal. Apart from declining in population ( which I see you didn't see fit to mention)  NS without equalization payment and a continuous stream to folks flying back and forth to Alberta bringing much need income into the economy iit would be dead. Young folks are mostly leaving because the future there is grim. I too live on the water front with a great beach in front of my house, but I can afford it because I worked in Vancouver. Industry is rare in fact I'd hazard a guess that if the numerous universities were to close plus the Government supported Naval bases and dockyard it might be the death knell for Halifax. NS doesn't have a future ( currently ) and shows no sign of accomplishing that either. They suck from the Canadian teet and offer little back.

I live on the Southshore and the Main Street is full of second hand clothes shops or boarded up. Heavy drinking is prevalent as is smoking, business is not good and it's infrequent that start ups last more than a couple of year. No one wants to invest in a dying economy.  My daughter grew up there in her child days but works in Vancouver now, of all her youthfull friends two remain locally

Here's a tip Phat boy take off the rose coloured glasses

Fred,

Confirmed you are an ass.  Sucking from the governments teat...  Wow the entitled have no end to arrogance.  Didn't the federal government just spend billions on a pipeline in BC? 

What little you failed to know about our shared country is amazing.  Guess that silver spoon in your mouth is blinding.  

So your success is due to one thing, rising property values have made BC a false economy.  Supported by corrupt practices that reward rich foreign speculators at the expense of hard working canadians.  Simple, if you or your parents happened to buy a home prior to the boom then your a millionaire on paper.  Not from merit, but fortune.  

As for the demographic claims you make, there are statistics and then damned statistics.  I love it when failed conservatives harp on the average age. When cranks like yourself always fail to reconcile is the why.  Many maritimes move away and many come back to have their families later.  Yes the oil boom has fueled this migration.  

BC saw the same migration, but was located convientaly closer to the epicenter.  That boom has ended, I am not worried about the fallout here, but you should be.... Your smugness and arrogance will come crashing down when the enivatble happens and property values fall off when rich albertans are no longer rich off the oil teat.  

Having lived through the boom and bust economy of western Canada I call see the writing on the wall already.  Honestly the correction would have already occurred but for foreign speculation that is somehow legal in Canada, but would be illegal in any other developed country.  

Ask our neighbors to the south about speculative housing markets hold up over the long run.  From the reading I have done  what has happened in BC is criminal.  Allowing forgiven buyers to come in without proof of income, creating loopholes to not pay HST and now houses sit empty why Vancouncer has a housing crisis.  This won't end well.    

I wouldn't sleep at night if my entire worth was based on a speculative housing market.  But when you live in a bubble, you don't see the burst coming.  

I moved east for opportunities that would not have been avaible to have in a place where the difference between the haves and haves nots is a wide as in BC.  I also didn't have to sell my soul to the oil industry.  I saw first hand how it worked in the oil sands and decided that I could not be a part of the madness.  

The pure irony that you think that eastern Canada will fail due to the economic turn down of Alberta and somehow western Canada will be immune is laughable and wholly ignorant of historical trends that you and I have both lived through.  

You talk of industry, what industry that is not resource based that BC has that NS doesn't.  Both fishing economies have been devastated by post poor federal management.  NS and Atlantic Canada have had it far worse than BC, but no one in NS is still hoping for a recovery that will.never come.  The shift to a more modern economy has already occured.  NS has moved to a urban life.  Geography there is no advantage to either province,  both are the major shipping destinations for goods in and out of the country.  

Currently the effort to expand ports in NS is into overdrive. NS has an added advantage of being far closer to the major population centers in NA.  Halifax is growing and has the benefit of being an essential government, financial, port, strategic and geographical center.  At 500k as compared to the sprawling mass of Vancouver, it has a far more amicable lifestyle and holds its own as a economic engine.  

With a fraction of the population, NS has equal footing as a port based economy to BC, with a Free trade agreement with Europe, who will benefit more, NS or BC?  

With the boom busting, many maritimers are selling out of western Canada and returning with bags of cash, building homes, starting businesses and boosting our local economy.  We see it every day.  Small business isn't choked out by insane rents, taxes and wages.  A cup of coffee can only cost so much before no one will buy it.  

I could buy 6 acres (3 building lots) surrounded beaches, with every needed amenity you could ask for, good schools, low crime rate, health care, no traffic, higher education, 2 hours from an international airport and international port.  I gave one of these lots to my parents who were left out of the boom in BC (fyi, lots were, but you likely don't see them with blinders like yours on) and built a beautiful home on the other.  On the third lot, I am currently moving a 214 year old timber frame farm house, completely renovated and turning it into a income property.

My expected investment, 70k, the expected appraised value complete, 230k, expected annual revenue from.a seasonal air BnB and off seasonal student rental, 35k.  Try doing that in BC.  

BTW I earn far less than six figures and have no worries about retirement and have excellent quality of life.  

You live on the south shore, well where  Liverpool that recently lost its pulp mill?  That's a story that is equally shared in BC.  For anyone no in the lower mainland, they have seen first hand the negative affects of the down turn in forestry.  I saw the same things all over BC, but I also have had the fortune of traveling all over BC with open eyes and an open mind.  

I am glad your are a fool and to arrogant and entitled to fail to see opportunities when they stare you in the face.  IMO NS doesn't want or need people with your view point.  I came here to live to a higher standard than BC could ever offer me and I have.  Now with energy and youth I can be a builder of better things in a place where that is needed.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

That's true. It's a great place to visit. I have friends that visit during the summer months and all go away happy.  Now try and get a job there and provide for your family. Beautiful scenery doesn't pay the bills I'm afraid. NS is subsidized heavily as I suspect is NB and PEI (?) The armed forces provide much of the subsidies so next time you see a naval/coast guard ship being ordered and wonder why the Vancouver yards never get a sniff or rarely any way, now you'll know why. I see a Call Centre was closed just yesterday in Sydney and of course  the movie Industry was given short shrift when the NS Government refused to invest in it. It's just one failure after another, how's that for awesome  :gocan:

NS gets ship building contracts because it builds ships far better than anywhere else in Canada.  Had the government not wanted to prop up ship building on the west coast all of the contracts would have gone to NS. Irony, NS is weak due to federal spending, but somehow BC is a shipbuilding superpower in Canada?? Dude I worked at the dockyard in Victoria for Maritime Marine Engineering,  I know what I am talking about.  BTW, how are those fast ferries doing?  

I agree the current liberal government was stupid to cut the film tax credits but its impact was not noticed outside the industry.  BTW, that industry will come back in a heart beat when that changes.  The call center is a horrible story.  Call centers have all been shutting down and outsourced, how is that any different in BC.  

My income and dollar go.far further here than it would ever go in BC.  NS fails to promote itself, but don't expect that to last.  Fred please help keep that secret a little longer.  

edit to address another of your poorly researched and ignorant statements.  I have a job and support.my family.  My wife started a small business after losing her job.  All in small town NS.  The impossibility you imply is not impossible at all.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

NS gets ship building contracts because it builds ships far better than anywhere else in Canada.  Had the government not wanted to prop up ship building on the west coast all of the contracts would have gone to NS. Irony, NS is weak due to federal spending, but somehow BC is a shipbuilding superpower in Canada?? Dude I worked at the dockyard in Victoria for Maritime Marine Engineering,  I know what I am talking about.  BTW, how are those fast ferries doing?  

I agree the current liberal government was stupid to cut the film tax credits but its impact was not noticed outside the industry.  BTW, that industry will come back in a heart beat when that changes.  The call center is a horrible story.  Call centers have all been shutting down and outsourced, how is that any different in BC.  

My income and dollar go.far further here than it would ever go in BC.  NS fails to promote itself, but don't expect that to last.  Fred please help keep that secret a little longer.  

edit to address another of your poorly researched and ignorant statements.  I have a job and support.my family.  My wife started a small business after losing her job.  All in small town NS.  The impossibility you imply is not impossible at all.  

Money goes further, you clearly don't do the shopping in your family. I do, and I can tell you things such as fruit and veg amongst others item are likely 30-40% higher in NS. I'm in shipping too and know my way around dockyards on both coasts. It's either Halifax or Davies maybe a one thrown to Irvin but they're destroying any ship building on the Westcoast. The fast ferries, ( late 90's ) a political gambit by the NDP for the wrong reason and the wrong concept and the Government was chnaged as a result. Movies as we all know in BC is huge so many jobs for the trades and the  associated business. NS is in a down spiral being supported by Ottawa and the rest of Canada the population is in decline and that's why housing is so cheap. In my own area on the Southshore I bet there are dozens of homes for sale in excess of a year on the market. A couple across the bay from me bought a nice house for $900K and sold it recently after having in on the market for I'm thinking 18 months for $650 ...that ain't happening in BC and for a reason !!! No demand ...you understand what that means and why ??? While BC has added subjects like computer coding to high schools, NS cancelled computer programs in favour of trades. Vcr had huge additions to work by Amazon tech along with I believe Sanyo which was in the thousands …..  House demand out strips the ability in of supply, Two houses in my street in N Van sold and at considerable over asking price.... dream on Bro.    BC = progress NS = loosing the fight. By the way fog is fog it doesn't matter if you try to dress it up  :gocan:

Shipping in NS in and out of the country …. Being in the industry I can assure you Vancouver shifts more cargo in a month than NS does in a year As to population according to the NS Government

"In fact, population trends produced by the Nova Scotia government estimate that by 2025, about 961,650 people will live here. As baby boomers die, that number will begin to drop, said Storring."

FYG the population 2017 census the pop was 953 000.

What do they say there's none so blind as those that will not see  :rolleyes:

Edited by Fred65

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Money goes further, you clearly don't do the shopping in your family. I do, and I can tell you things such as fruit and veg amongst others item are likely 30-40% higher in NS. I'm in shipping too and know my way around dockyards on both coasts. It's either Halifax or Davies maybe a one thrown to Irvin but they're destroying any ship building on the Westcoast. The fast ferries, ( late 90's ) a political gambit by the NDP for the wrong reason and the wrong concept and the Government was chnaged as a result. Movies as we all know in BC is huge so many jobs for the trades and the  associated business. NS is in a down spiral being supported by Ottawa and the rest of Canada the population is in decline and that's why housing is so cheap. In my own area on the Southshore I bet there are dozens of homes for sale in excess of a year on the market. A couple across the bay from me bought a nice house for $900K and sold it recently after having in on the market for I'm thinking 18 months for $650 ...that ain't happening in BC and for a reason !!! No demand ...you understand what that means and why ??? While BC has added subjects like computer coding to high schools, NS cancelled computer programs in favour of trades. Vcr had huge additions to work by Amazon tech along with I believe Sanyo which was in the thousands …..  House demand out strips the ability in of supply, Two houses in my street in N Van sold and at considerable over asking price.... dream on Bro.    BC = progress NS = loosing the fight. By the way fog is fog it doesn't matter if you try to dress it up  :gocan:

Shipping in NS in and out of the country …. Being in the industry I can assure you Vancouver shifts more cargo in a month than NS does in a year As to population according to the NS Government

"In fact, population trends produced by the Nova Scotia government estimate that by 2025, about 961,650 people will live here. As baby boomers die, that number will begin to drop, said Storring."

FYG the population 2017 census the pop was 953 000.

What do they say there's none so blind as those that will not see  :rolleyes:

Only a closed mind is certain.

So, here is a bit of news for ya,  I do shop for my family.  We do very well on a lot less than it would take on Vancouver island where I am from.  Fuel prices are lower, mortgages are lower.  

Trades are in demand.  Coding, well that's debatable.  There has been a tech jobs in NS with the proximity to Europe and the east coast of the US, this will always have a strong communication 

BTW, we don't get fog where I live.  Again, your ignorance not mine.  

Just a bit of advice for you, it's not what your house is worth, it's what you will clear.  I have a house worth 300k, built it for 190k.  Currently owe around 150k.  Leaving me with 150k after 6 years from the beginning of the project till the current time.  

You could have a house worth 1m, but owe 950k.  I would have a better asset than you.  

Added to that, my market is stable.  

You have a house in a crappy market, and somehow you think that your market applies to all of Nova Scotia.  Well you would be wrong.  Added to that, the market in eastern Canada tends to have a gradual increase, vs the boom bust cycle in Vancouver.  

Ignore the signs that not all is well in a real estate bubble... your home value is precarious and if you sell now, what then.  You can cash out and do the smart thing and look to softer markets where there is value or buy another overpriced asset and risk losing everything.  WITH EVERY HOUSING BOOM THERE IS A BUST.  

Sounds like your neighbors got smart, maybe you should get out while you can too. 

At my age, that is not a smart move.  But here I am having bough and sold 3 properties in NS and made money each time as the market went up considerably where I lived.  

So I started out with a 120k home that sold for 189k 3 years later... then bought a 4 acre double lot.  64k with an ocean view.  Sold the mini home that came with it for 30k, now have it subdivided and we gave one lot to my folks and am putting a home on the other that will be worth 230k when complete with 70k invested.  That along with my current home in a market you think is dead.  

Here a young person without family money can make things happen of they use their head.  No chance I could have gotten the start I have here in BC.  Came here with nothing 10 years ago, by next year our net worth will be about 600k with less than half of that tied to any debt.  All while working an honest job and putting myself through school.  

Population of NS is 951k, it goes up our down by 3-5k per annum.  What is generally lost is that as the alberta gravy train slows, smart players cash out and come home where their dollar goes way further.  Why live in BC for a million plus in an unstable housing market that is way, way overheated, when you can live in NS like a king for 500k? Have way more disposable income after cashing out of Alberta.  

Keep dreaming fred, you don't have a clue what your asking about.  

4 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Only a closed mind is certain.

So, here is a bit of news for ya,  I do shop for my family.  We do very well on a lot less than it would take on Vancouver island where I am from.  Fuel prices are lower, mortgages are lower.  

Trades are in demand.  Coding, well that's debatable.  There has been a tech jobs in NS with the proximity to Europe and the east coast of the US, this will always have a strong communication 

BTW, we don't get fog where I live.  Again, your ignorance not mine.  

Just a bit of advice for you, it's not what your house is worth, it's what you will clear.  I have a house worth 300k, built it for 190k.  Currently owe around 150k.  Leaving me with 150k after 6 years from the beginning of the project till the current time.  

You could have a house worth 1m, but owe 950k.  I would have a better asset than you.  

Added to that, my market is stable.  

You have a house in a crappy market, and somehow you think that your market applies to all of Nova Scotia.  Well you would be wrong.  Added to that, the market in eastern Canada tends to have a gradual increase, vs the boom bust cycle in Vancouver.  

Ignore the signs that not all is well in a real estate bubble... your home value is precarious and if you sell now, what then.  You can cash out and do the smart thing and look to softer markets where there is value or buy another overpriced asset and risk losing everything.  WITH EVERY HOUSING BOOM THERE IS A BUST.  

Sounds like your neighbors got smart, maybe you should get out while you can too. 

At my age, that is not a smart move.  But here I am having bough and sold 3 properties in NS and made money each time as the market went up considerably where I lived.  

So I started out with a 120k home that sold for 189k 3 years later... then bought a 4 acre double lot.  64k with an ocean view.  Sold the mini home that came with it for 30k, now have it subdivided and we gave one lot to my folks and am putting a home on the other that will be worth 230k when complete with 70k invested.  That along with my current home in a market you think is dead.  

Here a young person without family money can make things happen of they use their head.  No chance I could have gotten the start I have here in BC.  Came here with nothing 10 years ago, by next year our net worth will be about 600k with less than half of that tied to any debt.  All while working an honest job and putting myself through school.  

Population of NS is 951k, it goes up our down by 3-5k per annum.  What is generally lost is that as the alberta gravy train slows, smart players cash out and come home where their dollar goes way further.  Why live in BC for a million plus in an unstable housing market that is way, way overheated, when you can live in NS like a king for 500k? Have way more disposable income after cashing out of Alberta.  

Keep dreaming fred, you don't have a clue what your asking about.  

NS is fabulous.  Had a house on the South Shore on the ocean between Rissors and Crescent beaches.  Got too old to travel there.  Loved the shoulder seasons the best.  Never spent a winter, but they weren’t that bad down south anyway.  Ice cream at Petit Rivière was the best!  

• Thanks 1