The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Woo is clearly a high character guy.  Maybe Woo and Quinn Hughes will be our top pair in the future?  

Would not surprise me at all as Woo is probably the best RHD prospect we currently have in the system. Too early to tell yet but I think it is a distinct possibility.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Agree with the bolded part 100%.

While I would agree that Woo is somewhat a defense 1st kind of D-man I really see him as a true two way player. He is virtually a PPG player this year and that is without playing on the 1st PP unit. He is going to handle whatever role the team gives to him.

Oh without a doubt, that's why I like the Bieksa comparisons, totally a guy who just goes out and does what's asked of him.

Just now, cyoung said:

Oh without a doubt, that's why I like the Bieksa comparisons, totally a guy who just goes out and does what's asked of him.

You think we could get our new Bieksa type (Woo) to come to CDC and bop our new Fedor Federov in the snout?  

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, cyoung said:

Dumba is much more offensive, whereas Woo is a defense first kinda guy. Woo can chip in for sure offensively but nowhere near as dangerous as a guy like Dumba. I like the Bieksa comparisons, however I think Woo is a bit more reliable/higher IQ and decision making skills. 

I think Woo’s offence has been diminished by his role, but he does seem to be getting more offensive opportunities lately, we’ll see where he stands by the end of the year.  A guy who is very mobile and can hit without getting out of position, is a very intimidating player.  If he can add offence to that mix, that is another dimension entirely.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

I'm finding his D+1 thus far more impressive than Joulevi's. 

It's still early but yes I can definitely see that. Woo had a pretty slow start too but hopefully he can continue building on his season. It'll be interesting to see who the better player will end up being.

7 minutes ago, TGokou said:

It's still early but yes I can definitely see that. Woo had a pretty slow start too but hopefully he can continue building on his season. It'll be interesting to see who the better player will end up being.

Why do we need to compare at all. If they both turn into quality top 4 dmen isn't that best case scenario? 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, Pickly said:

More pumped about this kid than Juolevi to be honest. Any defence man who likes to throw hits get me excited. 

I never considered this myself before, but I feel the same way these days. Can't wait for Woo to join the team in a year or two. Pair him with Hughes and that will be an awesome D pairing. I was very excited when they drafted Juolevi 17 years ago (lol, okay, it hasn't been that long), but it seems he's had setback after setback, and his development is taking him longer than expected. Woo, meanwhile, looks poised to kick done the door and grab a spot.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I never considered this myself before, but I feel the same way these days. Can't wait for Woo to join the team in a year or two. Pair him with Hughes and that will be an awesome D pairing. I was very excited when they drafted Juolevi 17 years ago (lol, okay, it hasn't been that long), but it seems he's had setback after setback, and his development is taking him longer than expected. Woo, meanwhile, looks poised to kick done the door and grab a spot.

He's got a long way to go, look at Lind. Juolevi has 1.5 years pro experience and will arrive likely a year or two before Woo

I still think Juolevi has the higher ceiling but the physicality of Woo is very exciting.

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He's scoring at a point per game pace right now

I think he meant more the previous years. He's been solid at both ends this year, his offensive numbers could be higher if brook wasn't getting more opportunity. 

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I have a gut feeling Woo is gonna be a fan favorite before long. The Canucks are in dire need of a player like Juice on the backend and he seems to fit the bill.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, smokes said:

Woo is eligible to play for Utica this year like Lind did last year right?

Im 100% sure but I don't believe so.

To play in the AHL I believe you need to be 20 yrs old at the beginning of the season. Woo is 18 now so that won't be possible. 

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME is way more qualified to answer this than I am though.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Im 100% sure but I don't believe so.

To play in the AHL I believe you need to be 20 yrs old at the beginning of the season. Woo is 18 now so that won't be possible. 

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME is way more qualified to answer this than I am though.

I dunno how qualified I am. ;) 

But you’ve got it right.

The NHL-CHL Agreement says players must be 20 years old (by Dec 31st of the year the season starts) or have completed 4 years of major junior, before they qualify for the AHL.

Woo won’t meet either criteria until the 2020-21 season.

He turns 19 next summer and he’s currently in his 3rd year in the WHL.  

And just in case it comes up, those 7GP he played in 2015-16 don’t count as a year of major junior.

Also, the agreement only applies to CHL players. Players from other leagues (Europe, college, etc) need only be 18 years old by September 15th of the year the season starts, to be eligible for the AHL.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME