The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

“Two of the young players who have looked good for the Abbotsford Canucks this season are a pair of 21-year-olds in right-shot defenceman Jett Woo and right-shot centre Chase Wouters.

Woo came into his sophomore season looking like a much better puck possessor. He looked like he was receiving and handling passes with much more grace and he continues to play his physical brand of hockey that he set the bar for last season. The most noticeable improvement in his game this season has been his gap control in the defensive zone. He was doing a much better job of using angles while defending and was rarely beat in the corners due to his ability to take away space.

As for Wouters, he is looking like an excellent find by the Canucks’ scouting staff. Wouters looks great in the faceoff dot, he is trusted as one of the team’s best penalty-killing centres and has seen his role grow as the season goes along.

Both of these 21-year-olds were beginning to play more minutes and get a lot of penalty killing time when injury struck. Woo has been out of game-action for a week now and Wouters has not played since December 4th.

The two players were quickly becoming some of the Canucks’ best defensively sound players and their injuries will provide a (hopefully) minor setback as they look to grow in the AHL as 21-year-olds. Abbotsford is tough to get information out of unless you are in the arena and able to ask the coach questions, so, I’ll be in the rink next week as they return to Abbotsford for practice to see how long both Wouters and Woo will be out for”

cauncks armed forces 

for those needing an update, this is Irish luck, but hopefully neither is out for much longer.  

Phats. 

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Would be a real bonus if this guy could do what Schenn does for us.

I understand he still has work to do with Abby but calling him up and attaching him to schenns hip might not be a bad plan, even if he doesn't see a boat load of games. 

Just my  $.02

Edited by 73 Percent
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Would be a real bonus if this guy could do what Schenn does for us.

I understand he still has work to do with Abby but calling him up and attaching him to schenns hip might not be a bad plan, even if he doesn't see a boat load of games. 

Just my  $.02

Do you mean in general? Because, and correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t they both RHD who play the right side? Does Schenn play the left side sometimes?

1 hour ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Do you mean in general? Because, and correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t they both RHD who play the right side? Does Schenn play the left side sometimes?

Yeah I do mean in general. So we can move on from schenn. Who's not getting any younger. 

• Upvote 1

Woo was looking like he had the potential to become a prime Travis Hamonic type player at one point. Hopefully he is able to recover from his early injury problems and get back on track. This off-season coming up is definitely going to be an important one for him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Woo was looking like he had the potential to become a prime Travis Hamonic type player at one point. Hopefully he is able to recover from his early injury problems and get back on track. This off-season coming up is definitely going to be an important one for him.

I think he is similar in style and development path as Kevin Bieksa. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Friday, April 8th: Woo played a whole game at right wing. I have no idea what this means going forward. He played a tough game and won a fight that he started. 

I think it means that we were short on forwards, although with his size etc, he would probably be effective.

Just now, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Jett's little brother Jonas signed and now playing with the WHL Winnipeg Ice as a 15 year old.  He was drafted 18 overall in the 2021 WHL draft.  His father is Winnipeg Ice assistant coach

Jonas Woo
D
Shoots: 
R
Height: 
5'9
Weight: 
Birthdate: 
2006-11-19
Hometown: 
Winnipeg, MB
Draft:
WHL - WPG (2021) Round: 1 (#18)
GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG SOG FOW
14 1 2 3 16 6 0 0 14 0

He should grow taller and bigger since he is only 15 years old.  +16 in 14 games is pretty good for a rookie.