The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Really hope that Jett can develop into a solid 2nd pair or better D - i really liked what i saw of him last year in Utica - clearly very raw still but hopefully another year in the A will smooth some of that out. 

On the topic of the other D - it does trouble me we have thus far failed to develop any of our D picks in the last 10 years - which has ultimately lead to us overpaying for players like Myers, Poolman etc in free agency. I don't count us having developed Quinn as he came onto the team straight from college.  If we could have hit on one of the many, many D we have drafted and even auditioned in recent memory we would probably have another 5M to spend on impact players.

Not sure if its a drafting issue or development issue but its pretty depressing. Lets just hope Oli and Jack both can turn into players, Missing on Oli as well as a top 10 pick would make it even more dire, tho i accept the injury problems that have held him back thus far were outside the control for management. One has to just hope they are now in the past as he did look like a player at times last year. 

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tas said:

I'm not sure his 13 years of experience as a canadian tire stock boy (this isn't a joke) qualify him as quotable member of the media. 

That raises a very interesting question .....what constitutes "a member of the media"? Are we, who post opinions here, members of the media, or don't message board forums count?  Does it need a wider audience?  Maybe a blog - would that qualify?   Or is the size of the audience the determining factor?   Is "Sid from Langley', who fones regularly into the 650 talk shows, deemed a media member? Contributing an article to a magazine? Regular letters to the editor?

And what qualifications are necessary to be so deemed?  A university degree in media relations?  Ability to think coherently and to articulate said thoughts? And aren't the opinions of a stock boy, who comes with a fan's perspective, as valid as those of a former player like, say, Bieksa, who comes with a player's perspective (depending of course on the topic and context)

I read, many years ago, a sociological study, one of whose findings was that people in forums such as this tend to quote, and link to, authors whose opinions they agree with.   That is prolly why I post THW and CanucksArmy links  -   I find their writers - such as Zator - to be objective and their criticisms reasonable and well presented (and also why I have a few posters here on "ignore",  whose incessant biased rantings aren't worth the time spent reading them)

That's my 2 cents anyway. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tas said:

I'm not sure his 13 years of experience as a canadian tire stock boy (this isn't a joke) qualify him as quotable member of the media. 

I don't know about him qualifying as a 'quotable member of the media', but he sure has a huge passion for our team and likely reads every scrap of news about them.  It wouldn't surprise me if a guy like this has a more thorough background on the team; player history, positions/roles, history of drafts/trades, etc.

I don't have the time, or the interest level, to read every message on this board (or any other information site regarding the Canucks.

I didn't know that the Sedins would be working out of Abby, assisting the development of the prospects (I had assumed they were going to be with the big club).  Nor did I know much about the prospects he has mentioned; especially Woo.

• Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is definitely a leap year on Jett Woo's progress calendar:

Trent Cull has something in common with Jett Woo.

The Abbotsford Canucks coach was a journeyman defenceman who managed a pair of 11-goal seasons — one with Kingston in the Ontario Hockey League and another with Wilkes-Barre of the American Hockey League — piling up more than 200 penalty minutes in three straight minor-league seasons.

However, that’s where any similarity with Woo ends. Cull, a big undrafted blueliner, didn’t log a National Hockey League game and realized coaching was his ticket to staying in the sport. He made that point clear while negotiating weekend gridlock traffic in upstate New York.

“I was very average,” Cull, 47, said of amassing 107 points and 1,615 penalty minutes in 614 games during a 10-year career. “I was difficult to play against and tried to pride myself on good plus-minus. It was a different time. I could chip in offensively, but to keep a job you had to do other things.

“I wasn’t the tough guy, but would help to protect my teammates as much as I could.”

It’s one reason why Cull believes Woo will make a methodical transition to the Vancouver Canucks after continuing to hone his emerging game in Abbotsford. He checks a lot of boxes.

Cull can see a day when the club’s 2018 second-round draft selection complements rookie Jack Rathbone as a skill-and-grit pairing. They developed instant chemistry when aligned briefly last AHL season in Utica.

It’s why the organization expects Woo, 21, to take a development step this fall. Especially after enduring and growing during a challenging rookie season shortened to 28 games because of leaguetwide coronavirus caution.

The right-shot Woo can also play the left side and might be a good AHL fit with veterans Ashton Sautner, 27, or Gulliaume Brisebois, 24.

Woo’s five points (3-2) in those 28 AHL games don’t tell the whole story.

“It was a great year for Jett because the AHL was as young as it has ever been and a good time to get his feet wet,” stressed Cull. “We were so young and it was tough to shelter guys or protect them because we didn’t have the elements. I was impressed how he handled playing against top lines.

“A good first pass unlocks the door to more ice time. I didn’t realize he had that poise and I like that he sticks up for his teammates and plays with an edge. We asked a lot of Jett. We put him in different roles and in those games with Rathbone, who has a great knack of being part of the rush, Jett also jumped up to be part of that second wave.”

Run all this by Woo during the Canucks’ rookie camp and the anticipatory tone in the 6-foot, 205 pound Winnipeg native easily trumps any angst. A new hockey home in proximity to Vancouver with fans in the stands is going to move the hype meter.

“The players and staff in Utica made it easier to go into the pro game,” said Woo, whose Western Hockey League log included 12 goals and 66 points with Moose Jaw in 2018-19. “I’m very healthy and confident in my game right now to get my speed and strength up and move pucks out quickly.”

Playing with Rathbone helped advance the learning curve.

“Our games complemented each other a lot and I need to keep getting those game experiences and take them into practice,” said Woo.

And keep showing an edge. Woo didn’t shy away from scrums to protect teammates last year and won’t this season.

“I not a goon, or any of those things, but I’m going to stand around if someone pushes one of our players or anything like that,” he said. “That’s just always been part of my game and I’ll always kind of have that.”

What Woo needs to address is having his neutral-zone passes picked off and improving with the second power play unit to up his offence. It’s something Abbotsford general manager Ryan Johnson not only sees as doable, but as an encouraging directive.

“Jett is a mature kid,” said Johnson, who doubles as the Canucks’ senior director of player development. “He jumped in and was assertive from Day 1 last year, which is hard for young defencemen. “He had some mistakes, like anybody, but he’s resilient. He bounces right back from mistakes and applies them.

“He’s scrappy and can defend and kill penalties. A lot of pro is finding what your identity is. Jett really has a clear idea and I expect him to be more consistent. I expect him to take another big step.”

Woo played in a split-squad pre-season game at Calgary last September in which the Canucks won 3-2 in overtime. Calgary iced 15 NHL players and Vancouver but six.

“It was exciting to see how I matched up with guys who had already played in the NHL,” Woo said at the time. “I thought I not only kept up, I stepped up and played the body. And I was even chirping with some of the other guys. It was a fun experience and a good step for me.”

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-this-is-definitely-a-leap-year-on-jett-woos-progress-calendar

• Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Kind of reminds you of Bieksa no?

It's funny. In another interview, Bieksa's name was brought up and Woo said he heard about it, but he hadn't seen any of his games. But yeah, the Bieksa comparison is definitely not a new one.

Here's a video of Ryan Johnson. For some reason, they didn't upload all the videos onto Youtube, even though they clipped a part of it into the "Sights and Sounds of the Canucks Rookie Camp" one.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Kind of reminds you of Bieksa no?

He reminds me more of Dan Hamhuis personally. I think Bieska is a fair comparison as well but like Hamhuis Woo has the steady and quiet demeanor about his game. He's willing to stick up for teammates and has enough skill to complement the forwards. Bieska to me was a little more high risk high reward while Hamhuis was not as noticeable but in a good way.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Don't think Jett Woo is going to be a direct comparable to Kevin Bieksa.  I don't think he has the same truculence as Bieksa, but he could be a Bieksa light without the Superman punch.  Hamhuis could be a good comparable as someone else mentioned.  With the guys we have on the right side now I don't see Woo cracking the lineup anytime soon.  Poolman is a player in my opinion and Myers will be around for 3 more years.  Hamonic and Schenn will be battling it out for the 3rd spot.  So that is the spot Woo would need to take.

I could see him in the NHL in a couple of years.  Maybe he even partners Jack Rathbone at that time.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, JC2 said:

He reminds me more of Dan Hamhuis personally. I think Bieska is a fair comparison as well but like Hamhuis Woo has the steady and quiet demeanor about his game. He's willing to stick up for teammates and has enough skill to complement the forwards. Bieska to me was a little more high risk high reward while Hamhuis was not as noticeable but in a good way.

Yeah I forgot about Hamhuis and can definitely see that in his game too