The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's the thing eh? The Canucks might get good picks at the draft, but so will most of the other teams. In EDM's case, they're picking two spots ahead of us. If the Canucks start next season with Eriksson, Sutter, Granlund, etc. then I'm afraid we may be in for another season of frustration. Canucks could sure use some good luck. Maybe Juolevi will be ready and steady, maybe Tryamkin comes back, Maybe Markstrom and Demko steal us a bunch of games. Pettersson and Hughes are God-sends, as those two players are super elite and give the Canucks a chance every night. They need more of this. Benning needs to try and get another 1st.   

Any first that we get would take away from our already negligible top 6 or top 4, meaning we’re almost certainly in for a crappy year next year. Sacrifice a year and lose a lot of revenue for a pick that may or may not work out? Or maybe we pick someone like Seider or Hoglander and they turn into steals? It’s a tough choice, especially with an owner that’s been impatient in the past.  

Nobody wants a quantity for quality trade so package deals will be difficult, if not impossible. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Tradable assets?

2020 1st

Goldobin

Hutton

Gaudette

Prospects - DiPietro, Brisebois, Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood, Madden

Others that could go

Sutter

Eriksson

Tanev

Baertschi

Not great, but surely Benning could pick up a couple more 2nds? Maybe even an extra 1st with the right package?

Dont see the point of trading quality prospects for picks. If your trading a Gaudette, Lind or Madden quality prospect then you better be getting back a solid prospect in return.

Sutter (or Beagle)

Pearson (or Baertschi preferably, but concussions limit value)

Schaller

Granlund

Tanev

Hutton

are the pieces Id consider trading this offseason or mid season. 

Sutter (50% retained)+Hutton to Pittsburgh for Johnson+Hornqvist+2nd

3 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Sutter (50% retained)+Hutton to Pittsburgh for Johnson+Hornqvist+2nd

This trade doesn't make much sense lol. Hornqvist has more value than Sutter and Johnson is about on par with Hutton, maybe less. Why do they throw in a 2nd haha 

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

This trade doesn't make much sense lol. Hornqvist has more value than Sutter and Johnson is about on par with Hutton, maybe less. Why do they throw in a 2nd haha 

They clear cap for next season while adding the defensive centre they need and add a younger better skating defensemen. Cap would be the main reason they make this trade as they are already 1M over next years cap without having resigned anyone yet.

46 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's the thing eh? The Canucks might get good picks at the draft, but so will most of the other teams. In EDM's case, they're picking two spots ahead of us. If the Canucks start next season with Eriksson, Sutter, Granlund, etc. then I'm afraid we may be in for another season of frustration. Canucks could sure use some good luck. Maybe Juolevi will be ready and steady, maybe Tryamkin comes back, Maybe Markstrom and Demko steal us a bunch of games. Pettersson and Hughes are God-sends, as those two players are super elite and give the Canucks a chance every night. They need more of this. Benning needs to try and get another 1st.   

All teams are all constantly trying to improve. All you can control is what you can control.

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

They clear cap for next season while adding the defensive centre they need and add a younger better skating defensemen. Cap would be the main reason they make this trade as they are already 1M over next years cap without having resigned anyone yet.

Cap reasons aside, we would have to sweeten the deal a bit, add in a forth/5.  I would love to get that experience that hornqvist and Johnson could provide. 

Just now, cyoung said:

Cap reasons aside, we would have to sweeten the deal a bit, add in a forth/5.  I would love to get that experience that hornqvist and Johnson could provide. 

Yep its more of a cap considerations trade. Pittsburgh has some decent offensive pieces coming so moving Hornqvist doesn't hurt as much. If we need to add a late pick, or lower that draft pick to a 3rd then that works too and is still good for Van.

We need forwards, and outside of Byram I don't see any defensemen in the top 10. Not saying there won't be any drafted, but as far as rankings go I don't see any. 

I think Benning is trying to build a lethal power play. We got Edler, Boeser, and Hughes to play the points, and could potentially bring another guy in through free agency or trade. So we need guys up front who can score and facilitate. Guys like Cozens, Dach, and Zegras can play center or wing in a pinch, which is huge because we like to have Horvat and Pettersson on the first unit. The more centers the better. Of the 3, I think Zegras is the most likely to be there, and I love the idea of him passing to Pettersson and Boeser.

Caufield is the best goal scorer in the draft, and hopefully he falls to us cause of his size, but I don't see that happening anymore. Boldy is another guy who probably played himself out of our pick at the U-18s.

Really wish we didn't drop to 10.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Remind me again how old Dahlen is???? And he was accomplishing what again in the AHL. Ya I'm gonna go with he was never gonna play on a line with Elias anyway so for those that had that pipe dream please move on. 

I totally agree.  I want JB to decide quickly on our prospects if he thinks they will reach their ceiling.  As soon as he sees the guy falling off (like Dahlen) then trade the kid before he’s worth nothing.  

• Cheers 1

On 5/9/2019 at 10:31 AM, CoolCanucklehead said:

If you actually followed the topic, The point was that they NEVER played in AHL...

actually, he also mentioned other leagues as well.  He claimed they all jumped right into the NHL that simply is not true.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:24 AM, Bure_Pavel said:

His offense against junior players has actually been really good, he had the highest points/game for a Dman in the SuperElit U20 league that played more than 5 games. He also has produced well in international tournaments. 

Thanks, yaI noticed that in the super elit he was a beast. I just wonder is that not like the BCHL?

2 hours ago, youngguns19 said:

Thanks, yaI noticed that in the super elit he was a beast. I just wonder is that not like the BCHL?

Sure sounds like the league Broberg played in was a low level kid’s league, like the AJHL.  If we do draft him, I’d like him to do like Edler did, and come play in the WHL for a season.  I think Boqvist did that too, and played in the OHL this season.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure sounds like the league Broberg played in was a low level kid’s league, like the AJHL.  If we do draft him, I’d like him to do like Edler did, and come play in the WHL for a season.  I think Boqvist did that too, and played in the OHL this season.  

Broberg played 41 of his 49 games this season in the Allsvenskan - The same league that Pettersson played in during his draft year. The SHL and the Allsvenskan use a relegation system, so the top few teams in the Allsvenskan are generally on par with the bottom few teams in the SHL. 

Broberg could choose to play junior in Canada next year if that's something his drafting team pushes for. However, the Hamilton Bulldogs own his CHL rights so he'd be playing in the OHL, not the WHL.

• Upvote 1