The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Good news for couples dealing with infertility....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/sperm-in-a-lab-canadian-scientists-successfully-3d-print-male-reproductive-cells/ar-AAVO4eI?li=AAggXBV

I have to admit that when I first say the headline, "Sperm in a lab? Canadian scientists successfully 3D print male reproductive cells", my first thought was that men will try and get out of any job....

More in the link

This is fantastic news.

My ex and I went through a very hard time trying to conceive.

It was due to me, however after many attempts at IVF, including flying out to South Africa our beautiful son was conceived.

• Cheers 1

French election

Latest poll puts Macron at 26.5% versus Le Pen at 23% in the first round

• The first round of voting is Sunday

MUFG this week highlighted a sub-3% margin of victory for Macron as a potential euro risk. The top two vote-getters will head to a run-off.

This poll from Ipsos also puts Macron winning with 52% of the vote in the second round. That's perilously close.

Le Pen's anti-globalization, anti-EU and anti-immigration stance would be a big shakeup in Europe. The pair were in the run-off in the 2017 election but Macron eventually won with 66% of the vote.

She has campaigned on the high cost of living and French nationalism with rhetoric like this: “What is at stake in this election is the continuity of France as a free nation, our existence as a people,” Le Pen told supporters in Lyon. “The French have been dispossessed of their patriotism. They are suffering in silence from not being allowed to love their country … The divide is no longer between the left and the right, but between the patriots and the globalists.”

Macron at 53% vs Le Pen in election run-off in recent poll

• The lead has narrowed

A Ipsos-Sopra Steria poll for France first round elections shows:

• Macron seen with 26.5%
  • Le Pen with 23%
  • Melenchon with 16.5%

For the runoff, the poll results show:

• Macron at 53% vs Le Pen.

The polling numbers have been narrowing from an over double digit gain a few weeks ago. Rising energy prices have helped to prop up Le Pen who is anti-EU.

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

French election

MUFG this week highlighted a sub-3% margin of victory for Macron as a potential euro risk. The top two vote-getters will head to a run-off.

This poll from Ipsos also puts Macron winning with 52% of the vote in the second round. That's perilously close.

Le Pen's anti-globalization, anti-EU and anti-immigration stance would be a big shakeup in Europe. The pair were in the run-off in the 2017 election but Macron eventually won with 66% of the vote.

She has campaigned on the high cost of living and French nationalism with rhetoric like this: “What is at stake in this election is the continuity of France as a free nation, our existence as a people,” Le Pen told supporters in Lyon. “The French have been dispossessed of their patriotism. They are suffering in silence from not being allowed to love their country … The divide is no longer between the left and the right, but between the patriots and the globalists.”

• The lead has narrowed

• Macron seen with 26.5%
  • Le Pen with 23%
  • Melenchon with 16.5%

The polling numbers have been narrowing from an over double digit gain a few weeks ago. Rising energy prices have helped to prop up Le Pen who is anti-EU.

man it would be a sad day for the world if Le Pig won. She's just vile, such a step backward. 

25 minutes ago, JM_ said:

man it would be a sad day for the world if Le Pig won. She's just vile, such a step backward. 

I'm no campaign manager but I'd be taking every opportunity to highlight she's a Putin fangirl who's taken tons of Russian money.

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I'm no campaign manager but I'd be taking every opportunity to highlight she's a Putin fangirl who's taken tons of Russian money.

sadly that might get her more votes :sadno:

48 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

French election

• The lead has narrowed

• Macron seen with 26.5%
  • Le Pen with 23%
  • Melenchon with 16.5%

Voters are often irrational. People are angry at the ruling party for inflation and high gas prices when most of those are usually out of politicians hands. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

French presidential election latest count is Macron 27.4%, Le Pen 24.8%

• Update with 90% counted

Macron 27.4%

• Le Pen 24.8%
  • Melenchon 20.8%

Around 90% counted now.

(ps. Some slight rounding in those numbers above.)

The top 2 go on to the real election.

Poll: Macron leads with 53.5% of the vote - Elabe

• Macron leads 53.5-46.5%

Macron has improved his lead in the latest Elabe poll, with voters giving him 53.5% of votes compared to 52% in the prior poll. However only 63% of voters say they are completely sure to vote in the second round so turnout will be an issue.

Religion.....<_<

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crime/celebration-father-allegedly-confessed-he-killed-daughter-because-he-needed-to-save-her-soul/ar-AAWbTTe?li=AAggNb9

The father on trial for allegedly murdering his wife, children and dog and living with their corpses for more than a week inside their Celebration, Fla., home allegedly told detectives that he killed them with "salvation in mind."

In videotaped confessions shown to the jury in court Tuesday, Anthony Todt, 46, blamed his late wife, Megan Todt, 42, for the horrific slayings, telling detectives she had been watching videos about how to achieve "salvation" because of a forthcoming apocalypse, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

Todt told detectives that he and his wife had made a pact to kill the entire family, Assistant State Attorney Danielle Pinnell said on the first day of his trial Monday at the Osceola County Courthouse in Kissimmee, the Orlando

"Everybody needed to die in order to pass over to the other side together," Pinnell said Monday in court, the Sentinel reports.

On Tuesday jurors learned from watching Todt's videotaped confession that when it came to allegedly killing the children, they were acting out of love and wanted their kids to receive salvation, according to the Sentinel.

In the videotaped confession, Todt allegedly said that when he and his wife talked to the children about dying, the kids said, "We want to die with you," the Sentinel reports.

Todt's youngest child, 4-year-old Zoe, was the first to be killed, he told authorities.

But it took him a while to do it, he allegedly said. In the confession, he allegedly told detectives he sat on his daughter's bed for hours before he suffocated her with a pillow by lying on top of it, according to the Sentinel.

"I needed to save her soul," the Sentinel reports. "I wanted her to be with us."

Todt was arrested on Jan. 13, 2020, when FBI agents and Osceola County deputies came to his two-story, picture-perfect house in the pristine planned community of Celebration, in the shadow of Walt Disney World, to serve a federal warrant for health care fraud charges stemming from his physical therapy business.

While they were there, they found Todt inside the house along with the decomposing bodies of his wife, Megan; their 13-year-old son, Alek;  their 11-year-old son, Tyler; their youngest child, Zoe; and their dog, Breezy.

Todt was arrested and charged with four counts of first-degree murder and one count of animal cruelty.

He pleaded not guilty to the crimes.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So after murdering those he is meant to love, protect and keep safe at all costs, he doesn't even follow his convictions and kill himself. 

Freakin scumbag. 

These sort of stories really hurt me.

I have fought so hard to be with my son.

Alex Jones' InfoWars files for bankruptcy in U.S. court

(Reuters) -Far-right wing website InfoWars on Sunday filed for voluntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas in the face of multiple defamation lawsuits.

Chapter 11 bankruptcy procedures put a hold on all civil litigation matters and allow companies to prepare turnaround plans while remaining operational.

Alex Jones, founder of InfoWars, was found liable for damages in a trio of lawsuits last year filed after he falsely claimed that the 2012 Sandy Hook school massacre was a hoax.

Jones claimed the shooting, in which 20 children and six school employees were shot dead at the school in Newtown, Connecticut, was fabricated by gun-control advocates and mainstream media.

Sandy Hook families in late March rejected Jones' offer to settle their defamation lawsuit and reopened the case. Jones had offered to pay $120,000 to each of the 13 plaintiffs to settle the case.

Each of the plaintiffs turned down the settlement offer in court documents, saying, "The so-called offer is a transparent and desperate attempt by Alex Jones to escape a public reckoning under oath with his deceitful, profit-driven campaign against the plaintiffs and the memory of their loved ones lost at Sandy Hook."

According to Sunday's court filings, InfoWars listed its estimated assets in the range of $0-$50,000 and estimated liabilities in the range of $1 million to $10 million.

Jones, a vocal supporter of former U.S. President Donald Trump, was previously subpoenaed by the House of Representatives committee probing the January 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol by Trump supporters.

Alex Jones accused of hiding assets over Sandy Hook lawsuits

AUSTIN, TEXAS -- Alex Jones is facing a new lawsuit in Texas over accusations that the Infowars host hid millions of dollars in assets after families of Sandy Hook victims began taking him to court.

Relatives of some of the 20 children and six educators killed in the 2012 Newtown, Connecticut, massacre have already won defamation lawsuits against Jones after he said the shootings never happened. The new lawsuit, which was filed Wednesday, comes as trials are set for this year over how much he should pay.

“After Alex Jones was sued for claiming the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary was a hoax, the infamous conspiracy theorist conspired to divert his assets to shell companies owned by insiders like his parents, his children, and himself,” reads the lawsuit, which was filed in Austin, Texas, by some of the Sandy Hook families.

According to the lawsuit, Jones is accused of drawing about $18 million from his Infowars company over three years, starting in 2018 when the defamation lawsuits were filed.

Jones is also accused of claiming a “dubious” $54 million debt around that time to another company, which the lawsuit alleges is indirectly or directly owned by Jones.

Norm Pattis, an attorney for Jones, said there was no effort to hide assets.

“The suggestion is ridiculous. We look forward to litigating these issues,” Pattis said in an email Friday.

The lawsuit was first reported by the Austin American-Statesman.

The lawsuit was filed the same day Jones was questioned by lawyers for the Sandy Hook families. A judge had ordered the him to face mounting fines until he appeared for a deposition.

Hardly surprising that a coward would have no honour.

52 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Alex Jones' InfoWars files for bankruptcy in U.S. court

(Reuters) -Far-right wing website InfoWars on Sunday filed for voluntary Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas in the face of multiple defamation lawsuits.

Chapter 11 bankruptcy procedures put a hold on all civil litigation matters and allow companies to prepare turnaround plans while remaining operational.

Alex Jones, founder of InfoWars, was found liable for damages in a trio of lawsuits last year filed after he falsely claimed that the 2012 Sandy Hook school massacre was a hoax.

Jones claimed the shooting, in which 20 children and six school employees were shot dead at the school in Newtown, Connecticut, was fabricated by gun-control advocates and mainstream media.

Sandy Hook families in late March rejected Jones' offer to settle their defamation lawsuit and reopened the case. Jones had offered to pay $120,000 to each of the 13 plaintiffs to settle the case.

Each of the plaintiffs turned down the settlement offer in court documents, saying, "The so-called offer is a transparent and desperate attempt by Alex Jones to escape a public reckoning under oath with his deceitful, profit-driven campaign against the plaintiffs and the memory of their loved ones lost at Sandy Hook."

According to Sunday's court filings, InfoWars listed its estimated assets in the range of $0-$50,000 and estimated liabilities in the range of $1 million to $10 million.

Jones, a vocal supporter of former U.S. President Donald Trump, was previously subpoenaed by the House of Representatives committee probing the January 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol by Trump supporters.

So sad....

Thoughts and prayers.....

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2022 at 6:51 PM, Ilunga said:

So after murdering those he is meant to love, protect and keep safe at all costs, he doesn't even follow his convictions and kill himself. 

Freakin scumbag. 

These sort of stories really hurt me.

I have fought so hard to be with my son.

God loves.

Man kills.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Source?

there's more evidence for that then some guiding hand out there. 

Pretending there's a holy reason for all the cruelty just allows people the excuse to keep doing nasty things. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, JM_ said:

there's more evidence for that then some guiding hand out there. 

Pretending there's a holy reason for all the cruelty just allows people the excuse to keep doing nasty things. 

Oh I agree on the bolded.

Just teasing you about stating that the universe is indifferent.

We simply don't know. We don't even know what the universe really is. 

You know I love this stuff. I was just thinking earlier about what you once posted in a status update regarding a question of if everything could be predestined. Although I doubt it and love the idea of free will, there is even a theory for that.

Could the particles from the big bang be mathematically predicted if we had all the data? I think I used my rough thought of a rack of pool balls being broken when I commented in your status post. The break of the pool balls at the beginning of the game looks random but obviously if you had all the angles, force, environmental influence etc.. you would know exactly how every ball will react and would know where they will end up. 

That said, what we are learning about quantum mechanics shows that particles act in ways we don't understand...which adds more doubt to the thought of predestination. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh I agree on the bolded.

Just teasing you about stating that the universe is indifferent.

We simply don't know. We don't even know what the universe really is. 

You know I love this stuff. I was just thinking earlier about what you once posted in a status update regarding a question of if everything could be predestined. Although I doubt it and love the idea of free will, there is even a theory for that.

Could the particles from the big bang be mathematically predicted if we had all the data? I think I used my rough thought of a rack of pool balls being broken when I commented in your status post. The break of the pool balls at the beginning of the game looks random but obviously if you had all the angles, force, environmental influence etc.. you would know exactly how every ball will react and would know where they will end up. 

That said, what we are learning about quantum mechanics shows that particles act in ways we don't understand...which adds more doubt to the thought of predestination. 

it really is a fascinating idea, that there's no choice in anything. I mean think about that in terms of crime, or wars, or even the tiniest part of your day.

We need a philosophy thread :lol: