The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

13 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Gotta say this shocks me a bit.

If it was America I wouldn't be surprised at all, however Canada ?

I know no society is perfect, however as I have stated before, yours is one of the more enlightened on this planet 

Amongst all the tragedy in the world, this past episode may have escaped your attention:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_City_mosque_shooting

The Quebec City mosque shooting (French: Attentat de la grande mosquée de Québec) was a terrorist attack by 27-year-old Alexandre Bissonnette on the evening of January 29, 2017, at the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec City, a mosque in the Sainte-Foy neighbourhood of Quebec City, Canada. Six worshippers were killed and five others seriously injured after evening prayers when a man entered the prayer hall shortly before 8:00 pm and opened fire for about two minutes with a 9mm Glock pistol.[1] Approximately 40 people were reported present at the time of the shooting.

• Sad 1

Pusha T says he didn't get paid enough for writing iconic McDonald's jingle. So he made a diss track with Arby's.

Pusha T wrote McDonald's now-famous jingle in the early 2000s while trying to make it as an up-and-coming rapper, he claimed in a recent interview, but he says he didn't get paid enough for it. Two decades later, he just dropped a diss track revealing that - ba da ba ba ba - he's still not lovin' it.

On Monday, Pusha T teamed up with one of McDonald's competitors to release "Spicy Fish Diss Track." The 1:15-minute song, which had racked up more than 3.8 million views on his Twitter account as of Tuesday morning, hypes Arby's new Spicy Fish Sandwich while attacking the McDonald's classic Filet-O-Fish.

"I'm the reason the whole world love it, now I gotta crush it," Pusha T raps before comparing the McDonald's fish sandwich to feces. "You should be disgusted. How dare you sell a square fish asking us to trust it. A half slice of cheese, Mickey Ds on a budget?"

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pusha-t-says-didnt-paid-120044841.html

Diss track with Arby's. :lol:

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2022 at 8:31 PM, Ilunga said:

Gotta say this shocks me a bit.

If it was America I wouldn't be surprised at all, however Canada ?

I know no society is perfect, however as I have stated before, yours is one of the more enlightened on this planet 

Come on man!
Guy was carrying a pepper spray, clearly a Canadian!

If he was carrying machine gun on the other hand……..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Come on man!
Guy was carrying a pepper spray, clearly a Canadian!

If he was carrying machine gun on the other hand……..

If it wasn't Pepper Spray, it would have been one of those plastic knives you get at KFC....but he probably couldn't get it out of the plastic wrap.....

• Haha 1

Not sure if everyone has heard, but the two kids from Ft. St. John who were the subject of an Amber Alert this weekend, have been found in Kenora, Ontario.

Both kids and their mom are fine. The father has been arrested, but not charged as of yet:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/children-missing-from-fort-st-john-found-by-police-in-ontario/ar-AAVwzYs?li=AAggXBV

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, I don't know why any comedian takes that gig any more....you can't say an effing thing to that crowd without someone getting offended....and if the crowd doesn't do or say anything, you can guarantee Twitter will....

I haven't watched any awards show for a couple of decades now. I honestly DGAF what the Academy thinks...anyone who honestly believes that Shakespeare in Love is a better picture than Saving Private Ryan is an idiot anyway....

Or that Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction weren't the best movies in those years.

I honestly couldn't care less about rich self entitled &^@#s giving themselves awards like they mean a damn thing worth more than a white dried up dog turd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Or that Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction weren't the best movies in those years.

I honestly couldn't care less about rich self entitled &^@#s giving themselves awards like they mean a damn thing worth more than a white dried up dog turd. 

....and even though Forrest Gump was pretty good, it's criminal that Shawshank didn't win....<_<

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....and even though Forrest Gump was pretty good, it's criminal that Shawshank didn't win....<_<

Yes...I was trying to recall what Shawshank went against and whether it won..was fairly sure didn't.  

Shawshank is the best movie ever made imo. 

Big Lebwoski a close 2nd. 

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Fun fact - In the book "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" the character Andy Dufresne was short, a little pudgy with small hands. The exact opposite of Tim Robbins who played him in the movie.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Will is a clown.

Performing at an award show for clowns. 

I think Kathy Griffin pointed out the seriousness of what he did:

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-snyde-kathy-griffin-chris-rock-will-smith-20220328-4meqenupbzdq3ns2ojayrhnoma-story.html

“Let me tell you something,” Griffin tweeted, “it’s a very bad practice to walk up on stage and physically assault a Comedian. Now we all have to worry about who wants to be the next Will Smith in comedy clubs and theaters.”

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The flipside to this is: if a comedian needs to rely on saying hurtful things about someone (or some people) in order to get a cheap laugh at the person (or people's) emotional/physical/psychological expense, then maybe they should reconsider whether or not their "routine" is truly fit for the stage.

Perhaps.  But then you get into the issue of what is 'offensive'.   And maybe people who take exception to a 'joke' should restrict themselves to booing.

• Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The flipside to this is: if a comedian needs to rely on saying hurtful things about someone (or some people) in order to get a cheap laugh at the person (or people's) emotional/physical/psychological expense, then maybe they should reconsider whether or not their "routine" is truly fit for the stage.

And if you're going to make cracks about someone's medical condition in order to get cheap laughs then you're going to have to reap the consequences of your actions. Chris Rock has made several distasteful 'jokes' about the Smiths in the past and gotten away with it....sooner or later....and last night was later....you're going to have to take some responsibility for it..I'm on Team Smith for this. Make a distasteful joke at the expense of a loved one and there should be consequences.... Chris Rock was NOT funny, he was a pig and got what he deserved. The fact that he's not pressing charges makes it obvious that he KNOWS he crossed the line big time.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Except I'm not talking about offensive.  CR took a jab at a person's medical condition - one that she had no desire or control in getting, and yet has bravely shared with the public - as if it was some sort of joke material.  It'd be like if a comedian were to make fun of someone else's loved one's cancer or genetics-based disease on the grandest stage.  That's hurtful, and that is not acceptable as "comedy".  And if any society should somehow deem it as acceptable, I don't want to be a part of this society.

Seems to me you are talking about being offended.

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Except I'm not talking about offensive.  CR took a jab at a person's medical condition - one that she had no desire or control in getting, and yet has bravely shared with the public - as if it was some sort of joke material.  It'd be like if a comedian were to make fun of someone else's loved one's cancer or genetics-based disease on the grandest stage.  That's hurtful, and that is not acceptable as "comedy".  And if any society should somehow deem it as acceptable, I don't want to be a part of this society.

EXACTLY!! Thank you.

24 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I think Kathy Griffin pointed out the seriousness of what he did:

https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-snyde-kathy-griffin-chris-rock-will-smith-20220328-4meqenupbzdq3ns2ojayrhnoma-story.html

“Let me tell you something,” Griffin tweeted, “it’s a very bad practice to walk up on stage and physically assault a Comedian. Now we all have to worry about who wants to be the next Will Smith in comedy clubs and theaters.”

Just because you're a 'comedian' does not absolve you from the consequences of your words. Perhaps it's time that 'comedians' take a look at some of the stuff they're spewing in the name of 'jokes' and comedy.

• Vintage 1

Things must be tense in the Smith household. Yikes. No jokey-joke allowed. I thought Will Smith was supposed to be funny, once. 

Considering there were millions of people watching (and a lot of them children), Smith's reaction was pretty disgusting. He was trying to be valiant in front of his wife, but he could've handled it a lot better, like shouting back "We're going to talk about this after Chris".  Maybe Rock would've shut up. Keep it private.