Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread


RUPERTKBD
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

No...a number of canadian governments in the past 70 years have continued to weaken this country. 

 

You should read some books and you would know that.

 

We had one of the world's largest Navies at the end of WW2. Now we buy used old rusted subs from other countries that literally have killed our own soldiers.

 

It is a sad state.

 

An even sadder state that elder turdeau and now his communist idiot son & drama teacher turdeau have been elected as our "leader" with only 30% of the vote of those that actually show up. This has lead to an incredibly weak country and society. 

 

image.jpeg.c71a97d94c23ca36150c103df97019f1.jpeg

 

This is actually the leader and Prime Minister of what is supposed to be one of the most advanced countries on the planet. Let that sink in. He is an embarrassment.

 

This planet is in trouble when mankind lets this type lead.

 

I can understand why real intelligent people with ethics don't get involved in politics as it has become a cesspool of corruption. Anyone that thinks otherwise has no experience and understanding of how it works.

 

I hope real Canadians wake up but I don't hold up much hope. Things have been going downhill for some time. Look at the usa, we are witnessing the failure of both capitalism and democracy.  

 

 

Apparantly we're all racists for trying to explain this, but:

 

He was elected because the other options were even worse; if you think Trudeau is a communist, you'd love the NDP.  I agree we should be investing more in developing military technology here, but it was the Cons who decided to scrap projects such as the Avro Arrow.

 

 

 

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Those two regions are de facto Russian, war with Ukraine would involve the entire country, not just those two regions.

Why not?

This whole changing of the borders would open up Pandora’s box across the globe.

Russian history in the Ukraine has cost millions of lives. No mystery that there were many Ukrainians in the Russian units that served under the German Army in WW2. As the Red Army advanced towards Germany in 1945 Ukrainians tried to cross into Allied occupied Austria. Cannot remember the name of the bridge but Ukrainians we’re throwing their kids over the side and jumping to their deaths rather than surrender to the Red Army. Those that did were marched away and shot. Some of this was religious based as Greek Orthodox had survived many years of Communism. People don’t forget such things. Many Ukrainians still hate the Russians.

 

Unfortunately we will likely see how much Ukrainians love their freedom. They certainly cannot count on ‘freedom loving Westerners,’ to come to their aid. Can anyone really doubt that Putin wouldn’t back down if NATO massed troops along their eastern boundaries? People like Biden and Trudeau have been light weights their entire lives and Putin knows that. The excuse of native Russians living in Ukraine means what? Another excuse to inaction. The Russians moved those people there just as the6 did the Baltic states. Let Latvia’s go, why not? Lots of Russians there. Check opinions of people who used to live under the Russians; Poles, Slovaks, East Germans, Czechs, Lithuanians, Hungarians, Romanians etc. Nope, no big push to rejoin the Russians. Amazing how quickly westerners are willing to rationalize any abandonment of freedom loving people. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I know you are a history buff like myself, found this last year when researching changing borders within Europe.

Takes a bit of time to watch the video but well worth it. 

Note how the Romans were almost unstoppable until they faced us Picts 

 

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/2400-years-of-european-history/

 

Certainly not advocating Russian interventionism in the Ukraine however that state as an entity has only existed since the break up of the Soviet Bloc. 

 

What I do know is that " agreements" made by third parties, ie: the Sykes - Picot agreement set borders that do not take into account actual tribal and ethnic configurations.

Speaking of Picts, my wife is mainly of Irish, Scottish and English background.

Years ago we were watching a movie about disappearance of the 9th Spanish legion north of Hadrian’s wall.

It featured Picts, I gleefully pointed out that she should be happy that her family decided to immigrate to Canada.

If they stayed in Scotland and Ireland, you would be still living like this, I think she threw something at me.

  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Russian history in the Ukraine has cost millions of lives. No mystery that there were many Ukrainians in the Russian units that served under the German Army in WW2. As the Red Army advanced towards Germany in 1945 Ukrainians tried to cross into Allied occupied Austria. Cannot remember the name of the bridge but Ukrainians we’re throwing their kids over the side and jumping to their deaths rather than surrender to the Red Army. Those that did were marched away and shot. Some of this was religious based as Greek Orthodox had survived many years of Communism. People don’t forget such things. Many Ukrainians still hate the Russians.

 

Unfortunately we will likely see how much Ukrainians love their freedom. They certainly cannot count on ‘freedom loving Westerners,’ to come to their aid. Can anyone really doubt that Putin wouldn’t back down if NATO massed troops along their eastern boundaries? People like Biden and Trudeau have been light weights their entire lives and Putin knows that. The excuse of native Russians living in Ukraine means what? Another excuse to inaction. The Russians moved those people there just as the6 did the Baltic states. Let Latvia’s go, why not? Lots of Russians there. Check opinions of people who used to live under the Russians; Poles, Slovaks, East Germans, Czechs, Lithuanians, Hungarians, Romanians etc. Nope, no big push to rejoin the Russians. Amazing how quickly westerners are willing to rationalize any abandonment of freedom loving people. 

I mentioned a story when Red Army arrived in Serbia back in 1945.

A portion of 800k Yugoslav partisan army had to be mobilized to stop them from raping and pillaging.

This is how they treated their allies, you can imagine what they did to the enemies.

 

Russians have given huge contribution to the defeat of Germany indeed.

Granted lot of those that died could have been saved, if Stalin didn’t used people as canon fodder.

One detail of the history has always bothered me.

 

Russians have accused Ukrainians of being fascist collaborators under Bandera.

They have also accused Slovaks, Poles, Bulgarians, Lithuanians, Estonians, Romanians, Hungarians etc. of being on Hitlers side. While some of this is historically accurate, let’s not forget that Stalin jumped at the chance to make a deal with Hitler.

 

 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A now deceased chess playing buddy flew an ME 109e at the end of WW2. He was shot down over Russia, when he was 14 yrs old.

People would ask if the Russians taught him how to play chess. He'd go silent for a couple of seconds and then reply " The Russians taught me how to survive, but they were not trying to".

14 years old, spent 3 years in Russian "prison/camps"

  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2022 at 6:40 PM, gurn said:

A now deceased chess playing buddy flew an ME 109e at the end of WW2. He was shot down over Russia, when he was 14 yrs old.

People would ask if the Russians taught him how to play chess. He'd go silent for a couple of seconds and then reply " The Russians taught me how to survive, but they were not trying to".

14 years old, spent 3 years in Russian "prison/camps"

Buddy of mine back in high school. His father was in the Polish army in 1940 when they were over ran by the Russians who had done a deal with the Germans. The Russians shipped him to Siberia where he was in a work camp until the war ended. The  bizarre aspect of this story was that he walked out of the Russian work camp and then walked all the way across Russia back to Poland. Stan’s Dad was about 5 feet tall but built like a fire hydrant. He hardly ever talked but his eyes never stopped moving. He always insisted that every crumb of food was eaten. He hated Russians. Being Canadian meant everything to him.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the current conflict between Russia and the Ukraine reminds me about a meeting with a handful russian men in a typical  bavarian restaurant in Munich. Must be 10 years or even more years ago. I went there to watch the final of the hockey world championship Canada vs. Russia. This day the russians had no  business in winning. One of the russians who appear to be businessmen on a business-trip celebrated his birthday and was so kind to invite me for several beer. Nice gesture. Don't  know  how but in the end we spoke about the Ukraine and I was very surprised when one of them told me that the Ukraine is their country, even if  the Ukraine  had been independent from Russia  for  several years. That really was an eye opener for me how the Russians think of the Ukraine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 4:56 AM, drummer4now said:

This all misinformation… 

 

They only want the Russian speaking Eastern half of Ukraine like Donbas and Donetsk..

 

They would never be able to reach Kiev. 
 

I personally support the right of Russia to take those regions as they are ethically Russian speaking and in a overwhelming majority of joining Russia. 
 

They have already declared independence from Ukraine and wish to cede with Russia. 

 

I do not agree with this statement because the latest news is that russia has positioned thousands of soldiers in Belarus close to the Ukraine border. This is nothing more than a strategic move from Putin to capture Kiew.

What about relocating all the native Russians from the Donbas and Donetsk region to russia? Would be the best thing for all involved parties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

the current conflict between Russia and the Ukraine reminds me about a meeting with a handful russian men in a typical  bavarian restaurant in Munich. Must be 10 years or even more years ago. I went there to watch the final of the hockey world championship Canada vs. Russia. This day the russians had no  business in winning. One of the russians who appear to be businessmen on a business-trip celebrated his birthday and was so kind to invite me for several beer. Nice gesture. Don't  know  how but in the end we spoke about the Ukraine and I was very surprised when one of them told me that the Ukraine is their country, even if  the Ukraine  had been independent from Russia  for  several years. That really was an eye opener for me how the Russians think of the Ukraine.

I was in Moscow in '74 for the WHA-Russia series. Ended up in a bar one night drinking beers with a few Canadians and 3 Russian cossacks. They were in Moscow at a tech college learning how to butcher and handle meat. One spoke broken English and he interpreted to the other 2. Curious about hockey and curious about Canada. Nice guys. What stuck with me was how much they loved their country. That was a big thing to me because plain clothes police were every where and made no bones about grabbing Russians who got to close to us.  

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 4:56 AM, drummer4now said:

This all misinformation… 

 

They only want the Russian speaking Eastern half of Ukraine like Donbas and Donetsk..

 

They would never be able to reach Kiev. 
 

I personally support the right of Russia to take those regions as they are ethically Russian speaking and in a overwhelming majority of joining Russia. 
 

They have already declared independence from Ukraine and wish to cede with Russia. 

 

Take a look at the newly arrived russian units in Belarus, distance between the Belarus/Ukraine border and Kiev isn't that far, could be reached by russian troops easily.

 

grafik.thumb.png.8837ab5a89006abdd8ebcfcb5236b9ad.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Take a look at the newly arrived russian units in Belarus, distance between the Belarus/Ukraine border and Kiev isn't that far, could be reached by russian troops easily.

 

grafik.thumb.png.8837ab5a89006abdd8ebcfcb5236b9ad.png

Very hard country to defend. Frozen ground easy to run equipment across. Ukraine has +/- 2500 tanks. 44 million versus 140 million. How combat ready are the two armies? Do the Ukranians blow up the 2 Russian pipelines running thru their country if fighting starts. If the gas goes out in Europe they might be more concerned. Does any Russian allies join them to invade? Will there be gorilla warfare if Kyiv is over ran? Must have been planned for.  

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Very hard country to defend. Frozen ground easy to run equipment across. Ukraine has +/- 2500 tanks. 44 million versus 140 million. How combat ready are the two armies? Do the Ukranians blow up the 2 Russian pipelines running thru their country if fighting starts. If the gas goes out in Europe they might be more concerned. Does any Russian allies join them to invade? Will there be gorilla warfare if Kyiv is over ran? Must have been planned for.  

Russias build up has taken months.  People keep forgetting that Russia is essentially relegated to moving everything along one major rail route.  Ukraine has plenty of AA support on the ground and enough smart missiles to take out that rail line in numerous areas.  Weather the first wave and you knock out much of Russias ability to move arms in short order

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I do not agree with this statement because the latest news is that russia has positioned thousands of soldiers in Belarus close to the Ukraine border. This is nothing more than a strategic move from Putin to capture Kiew.

What about relocating all the native Russians from the Donbas and Donetsk region to russia? Would be the best thing for all involved parties.

Your last statement is ludicrous… we all know from history how well forcibly moving people from their traditional lands/territory works there is nothing but bloodshed and violence…

 

Also these two regions have already defacto declared independence from Ukraine so it is only a matter of time till they are absorbed by Russia or become proxy states. 

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Take a look at the newly arrived russian units in Belarus, distance between the Belarus/Ukraine border and Kiev isn't that far, could be reached by russian troops easily.

 

grafik.thumb.png.8837ab5a89006abdd8ebcfcb5236b9ad.png

Russia and Belarus are union countries they have military agreements to protect each other… 

 

This mostly an attempt to scare Ukraine into giving up so Russia can absorb the two Russian speaking Far East territories…

 

 

Russia invading Kiev is nothing but fear mongering and suicidal.

Edited by drummer4now
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2022 at 10:20 PM, Ilunga said:

I know you are a history buff like myself, found this last year when researching changing borders within Europe.

Takes a bit of time to watch the video but well worth it. 

Note how the Romans were almost unstoppable until they faced us Picts 

 

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/2400-years-of-european-history/

 

Certainly not advocating Russian interventionism in the Ukraine however that state as an entity has only existed since the break up of the Soviet Bloc. 

 

What I do know is that " agreements" made by third parties, ie: the Sykes - Picot agreement set borders that do not take into account actual tribal and ethnic configurations.

 

On 1/22/2022 at 11:55 AM, CBH1926 said:

Speaking of Picts, my wife is mainly of Irish, Scottish and English background.

Years ago we were watching a movie about disappearance of the 9th Spanish legion north of Hadrian’s wall.

It featured Picts, I gleefully pointed out that she should be happy that her family decided to immigrate to Canada.

If they stayed in Scotland and Ireland, you would be still living like this, I think she threw something at me.

 

 

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

 Don't  know  how but in the end we spoke about the Ukraine and I was very surprised when one of them told me that the Ukraine is their country, even if  the Ukraine  had been independent from Russia  for  several years. That really was an eye opener for me how the Russians think of the Ukraine.

Now, if they would only ask the Ukrainians how they think of Ukraine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

 

 

I have a few friends in Kiev who say the Russian military build up is made up by USA and its media to try to stop the Nord stream 2 from being completed. When I asked directly all I got back was it is nothing but politics nothing will happen.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...