The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The World Events Thread

RUPERTKBD

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Things must be tense in the Smith household. Yikes. No jokey-joke allowed. I thought Will Smith was supposed to be funny, once. 

Considering there were millions of people watching (and a lot of them children), Smith's reaction was pretty disgusting. He was trying to be valiant in front of his wife, but he could've handled it a lot better, like shouting back "We're going to talk about this after Chris".  Maybe Rock would've shut up. Keep it private. 

Yet Rock gets to walk by spewing that comment on one of the biggest stages of the season in front of millions of people with no push back?

Okay...gotcha. :picard:

Edited by Cerridwen

38 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Perhaps.  But then you get into the issue of what is 'offensive'.   And maybe people who take exception to a 'joke' should restrict themselves to booing.

yeah the violence part was an over reaction. Bad taste joke, worse reaction imo. 

• Cheers 3

47 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The flipside to this is: if a comedian needs to rely on saying hurtful things about someone (or some people) in order to get a cheap laugh at the person (or people's) emotional/physical/psychological expense, then maybe they should reconsider whether or not their "routine" is truly fit for the stage.

but that family puts every detail of their lives on display, is it really that surprising, or unwarranted, that someone might make a joke about it? its not like they're trying to be private people. 

People may not like free speech laws when lame jokes happen, but thats the price of people having that freedom. I don't see where violence is the answer here. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Except I'm not talking about offensive.  CR took a jab at a person's medical condition - one that she had no desire or control in getting, and yet has bravely shared with the public - as if it was some sort of joke material.  It'd be like if a comedian were to make fun of someone else's loved one's cancer or genetics-based disease on the grandest stage.  That's hurtful, and that is not acceptable as "comedy".  And if any society should somehow deem it as acceptable, I don't want to be a part of this society.

I get what you are saying but you don't physically assault someone.

Comedy is an art. What Chris said was mild compared to some comedians out there.

There is also a bully element to this. Would Will do that if Dwayne Johnson was telling the joke?

Or on the flip would it be ok to slap the comedian telling the joke if she was a female etc..?

If I was Jada I would be embarrassed for what Will did. Shes a big girl, she could have responded to the joke a later time if she was offended.

Also, Will seemed to laugh at first until he saw Jada's reaction. Maybe he should smack himself too.

Anyway, physically attacking someone is wrong for a bad joke. Simply wrong. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Cerridwen said:

Just because you're a 'comedian' does not absolve you from the consequences of your words. Perhaps it's time that 'comedians' take a look at some of the stuff they're spewing in the name of 'jokes' and comedy.

But how do we decide (and who decides) what is acceptable humour and what isn't?

Suppose a Republican took sincere offense at some comedian's joke about Donald Trump and went onstage and punched the comedian in the face.  Given that he was sincerely offended, does that make it okay?

Will Smith may have opened a can of worms.   We live in a copycat culture.  I think this is the point that Kathy Griffin was trying to make.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

But how do we decide (and who decides) what is acceptable humour and what isn't?

Suppose a Republican took sincere offense at some comedian's joke about Donald Trump and went onstage and punched the comedian in the face.  Given that he was sincerely offended, does that make it okay?

Will Smith may have opened a can of worms.   We live in a copycat culture.  I think this is the point that Kathy Griffin was trying to make.

Perhaps I am still clinging to my heartfelt hopes that people's better natures and empathy and kindness will prevail rather than greed and likes and bookings on the Academy Awards show. Making jokes at the expense of another person's medical condition or disability is below the belt and should be unacceptable to most people.

And really, I'm not surprised that Kathy Griffin would be someone weighing in on this. Her humour has been oftentimes maliciously at someone else's expense, has it not?

It's not that difficult to be funny and not at another person's expense,,,, 'comedians' making shock-style 'jokes' do it because people will support it. We have slipped dreadfully in human kindness and empathy in this world.... Here endeth my rose-coloured glasses homily of the day! ::DB)

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Perhaps I am still clinging to my heartfelt hopes that people's better natures and empathy and kindness will prevail rather than greed and likes and bookings on the Academy Awards show. Making jokes at the expense of another person's medical condition or disability is below the belt and should be unacceptable to most people.

One last(?) thing:   was the joke really in such bad taste? 

To be honest, I didn't even 'get' the joke when I watched a video of the incident ("GI Jane2?   What's he talking about?").  I read an explanation of it later.  And I didn't find it particularly funny.

Thing is, though, I can see some women in Pinkett Smith's condition getting a laugh out of Rock's joke.  Although, clearly, Mrs. Smith didn't.   

6 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

One last(?) thing:   was the joke really in such bad taste? 

To be honest, I didn't even 'get' the joke when I watched a video of the incident ("GI Jane2?   What's he talking about?").  I read an explanation of it later.  And I didn't find it particularly funny.

Thing is, though, I can see some women in Pinkett Smith's condition getting a laugh out of Rock's joke.  Although, clearly, Mrs. Smith didn't.   

It's ridiculous.

If it was a female comedian and Will did that. People would want him in jail. 

And that is where the idea 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' by some should be re-thought.

The stupid 'prize' should have been Will Smith getting an assault charge for his stupid criminal 'game'. He's lucky.

Jorge Masvidal is in a world of trouble for punching an actual top-tier fighter in a restaurant because charges have been laid.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here is where I draw the line. Will Smith and his family are all public figures working in the entertainment industry.

That by itself open one up to be the subject of jokes by comedians. If the Smiths can't take a joke, they are in the wrong industry and should consider a career change. If Jada is a private person that rarely appears in public nor have a notable online presence then Chris Rock was completely out of line but Jada is a media personality and thus is opend up to being the bud of a joke. 

Either way Smith was completely out of line in this instance no matter how you slice it. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's ridiculous.

And that is where the idea 'play stupid games, win stupid prizes' by some should be re-thought.

The stupid 'prize' should have been Will Smith getting an assault charge for his stupid criminal 'game'. He's lucky.

Jorge Masvidal is in a world of trouble for punching an actual top-tier fighter in a restaurant because charges have been laid.

Because Will Smith would not be slapping a female comedian because men don't hit women. But Chris Rock is NOT a woman...and that is who is the subject of being slapped onstage at the Oscars over an unacceptable comment he made about someone's wife

We are NEVER going to agree on this. Are you the kind of man who would stand by and let your wife be made the butt of a joke and insulted on a stage where it's being broadcast to millions of viewers??? And let's have your wife and/or SO come here and read your answer.

To say I'm stunned by some of the responses from male registrants here is an understatement.... like holy $&!#.... so because someone is in the public eye they are fair game to be made fun of for a medical condition???? Who ARE you people? I find myself incredibly disappointed by some of the things I've seen in this thread written by people I've long held respect for.

I'm out.

Edited by Cerridwen

11 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Because Will Smith would not be slapping a female comedian because men don't hit women. But Chris Rock is NOT a woman...and that is who is the subject of being slapped onstage at the Oscars over an unacceptable comment he made about someone's wife

We are NEVER going to agree on this. Are you the kind of man who would stand by and let your wife be made the butt of a joke and insulted on a stage where it's being broadcast to millions of viewers??? And let's have your wife and/or SO come here and read your answer.

Men shouldn't hit women but they do.

But more importantly nobody should be hitting anyone over a bad joke.

My wife would have not been impressed if I Stockton slapped a small dude on stage for a bad joke. I am the kind of man that understands his wife is a grown up. I was raised with the old 'sticks and stones' thing. Now, if it wasn't a pro comedian on stage but a drunk in the bar, maybe he gets a slap...but not a wussy sucker one, a slap where I act like a man and call him out first. Giving him chance to apologise, because I'm a man and not a triggered animal. 

Could Chris have made fun of the Smith's relationship? maybe something like...' everyone is Jada's husband' ? 

She's 'open' about that too.

I mean, this is mild as far as comedy goes and assault is... well, not just wrong but against the law.

The guy i mentioned, Jorge Masvidal faces a maximum of 15years because charges are being laid. And he actually hit a professional MMA fighter, not a small comedian. 

Will is lucky Chris didn't press charges.

Edit: Just saw that you have left the convo.

It's a shame you have lost respect for me. I still have a lot for you. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 1

Academy launches formal review after Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on the Oscars stage

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/03/28/oscars-chris-rock-will-smith-police/7189129001/

Chris Rock declined to file a police report Sunday after Will Smith slapped him onstage at the Academy Awards, Los Angeles police appeared to confirm.   

But now the Academy says it will investigate on its own, releasing a statement Monday afternoon: "The Academy condemns the actions of Mr. Smith at last night's show. We have officially started a formal review around the incident and will explore further action and consequences in accordance with our Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California law."

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

....and even though Forrest Gump was pretty good, it's criminal that Shawshank didn't win....<_<

Watched it for the umpteenth time a few nights ago.

It is so good on so many levels. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

It's ridiculous.

In regards to that, Rock was approached by the cops after the incident, but he told them he didn't want to press charges.....but hey, I guess he won the "stupid prize"....

• Upvote 1