The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning, Goldobin, and a logjam of forwards?

Mike Vanderhoek

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

He made room for Boeser and for Stecher but you're right, this year is different.  The crap will hit the fan.  And every year, it's going to get harder to make the team.  Goldy is a great example, last year he was on the bubble and played 38 games.  Unless he makes a big step forward, he's back in Utica.  This change of tack of signing free agents to shore up the bottom 6 and add grit has put Gaunce on the hot seat.  It's going to take a miracle for him to make the team at all I'm sorry to say.  Chaput, who played 68 games 2 years ago is nowhere to be seen. 

What is more, the following year will be even bigger.  Hughes and Juolevi for sure will be strong candidates.  And there's a whole laundry list of Benning's draftees who will have a year of pro under their belts.  Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Dahlen, and more perhaps (I know Dahlen wasn't drafted by JB)

I really hope that ownership has the cojones to let the snowball gather steam.

Don't forget, he also made room for Hutton.

Will be exciting over the next couple seasons. Can't wait for camp.

Well with the signings of Archibald and Boucher...Training Camp is going to be a battle alright....Goldy will really need to SHINE to make the squad now....plus I hope the Nucks do something to make room for Hughes

We need to play goldy all year he has shown his talent! &^@# Sam gagner garbage ass waive him, no way in hell does he need to be in the lineup . Anyways goldy frequently talks to tryamkin and is asking him to come back. If goldy goes so does any shot of tryamkin.

3 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Before anyone says we're in a full-on 'youth movement' and happily moving youngsters up to the NHL, it would be good to remember how Boeser and Stecher started their first (full) seasons. 

Hint:  not playing with the Canucks...

Boeser was on the roster.. but was scratched for some odd reason that still makes no sense 

12 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Boeser was on the roster.. but was scratched for some odd reason that still makes no sense 

The coaching staff said he was tired. I'd say his conditioning isn't the greatest and hopefully he has worked on that and that will only make him better. You can tell that aside from playing injured, he also looked gassed for a few weeks prior to his back injury.

Baertschi – Horvat – Boeser
*Leipsec* - *Pettersson* - Eriksson

Roussel – Sutter - Virtanen
Schaller – Beagle –

Granlund, Gaunce, Goldobin, Gaudette, Gagner

Edler – Tanev

Pouliot – Gudbranson

MDZ – Stecher

Biega, Hutton, Juolevi*, Hughes*

Markstrom

Nilsson

Demko*

I think it's the Gs upfront that will decide things. The asterisks indicate guys I've penciled in. The 2nd line is completely up for grabs, while D will be decided by who plays well and if the kids are ready. 

No matter how you shake it, it's tough to see this team being good. Camp will be competitive, but scoring and goaltending will remain gigantic question marks

30 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Baertschi – Horvat – Boeser
*Leipsec* - *Pettersson* - Eriksson

Roussel – Sutter - Virtanen
Schaller – Beagle –

Granlund, Gaunce, Goldobin, Gaudette, Gagner

Edler – Tanev

Pouliot – Gudbranson

MDZ – Stecher

Biega, Hutton, Juolevi*, Hughes*

Markstrom

Nilsson

Demko*

I think it's the Gs upfront that will decide things. The asterisks indicate guys I've penciled in. The 2nd line is completely up for grabs, while D will be decided by who plays well and if the kids are ready. 

No matter how you shake it, it's tough to see this team being good. Camp will be competitive, but scoring and goaltending will remain gigantic question marks

Our d looks pathetic 

Typical drivel...

For several years the press just like certain posters were unhappy about us not drafting enough talent. More draft picks, more draft picks, more....

Now that the club is drafting lots of players, we have too many players...we don't get value, that may leave for next to nothing bla bla bla...

WTF do you expect/want. 

Haters gonna hate.... 

If the players drafted all flops yes then you can complain, but so far that just doesn't seem to be the case, so instead lets moan about us having too many players.

Pathetic nonsense,,,

1 hour ago, Noseforthenet said:

I think Benning deserves a chance to see this rebuild thru at least. With all the drafting and hard work he has done. I believe that's what ownership thought too when they re-signed him. 

Of course he does.

Whats the whole point of bringing him onboard otherwise?

To come and draft players, because the alternatives to him aren't good enough at that, and then out the door?

Vancouver press.... lets $&!# some more on our team...

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

He made room for Boeser and for Stecher but you're right, this year is different.  The crap will hit the fan.  And every year, it's going to get harder to make the team.  Goldy is a great example, last year he was on the bubble and played 38 games.  Unless he makes a big step forward, he's back in Utica.  This change of tack of signing free agents to shore up the bottom 6 and add grit has put Gaunce on the hot seat.  It's going to take a miracle for him to make the team at all I'm sorry to say.  Chaput, who played 68 games 2 years ago is nowhere to be seen. 

What is more, the following year will be even bigger.  Hughes and Juolevi for sure will be strong candidates.  And there's a whole laundry list of Benning's draftees who will have a year of pro under their belts.  Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Dahlen, and more perhaps (I know Dahlen wasn't drafted by JB)

I really hope that ownership has the cojones to let the snowball gather steam.

And perhaps add Trym, Brisebois, Woo, Rathbone into the mix next year or the year after

12 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Goldobin is a total wild card.  I appreciate the good attitude he’s kept since joining the organization... and he was on pace for 17 goals last year in spot duty.  He could surprise or he could never play another regular season game in a Canucks jersey.  Exciting times. 

As for Benning, this is his team now and yeah, I guess if it flops over the next 2 seasons he’s probably done.  But boy has he created a lot of outs.  

-tons of offensive upside players.  He’s be in big trouble if he was banking on just one or two... but Baer, Goldy, Leipsic, Virtanen, Gaudette, Pettersson and then Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich in the near future.  Some of those dudes are going to join Bo and Brock putting up points.

-JB has (rightfully) chased a PPQB d man since he arrived... and guess what just dropped into his lap.  Adding Hughes/Juolevi over the next 2 seasons should add trickle down offence to the whole team.

The scoring will come.  JB has also added quite the security blanket when it comes to high effort, two-way veteran forwards.  He’s paid for them, but Sutter, Loui, Roussel, Beagle and Schaller should keep the team working hard and playing “the right way.”  People like to use those guys as a negative but I think they’ll prove their worth as the kids take off.

The limiting factor for the team will be the D and Goalies.  Just depends on how (and how quickly) Hughes, Juolevi, Woo and Demko pan out.  Plus, a healthy Tanev and Guddy will go a long way. 

Stop stop stop.... you make too much sense. +1

19 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Gaunce and Gagner go on waivers, Archibald probably as well. Nilsson waived/claimed or traded. Think our lineups end up looking like this:

Loui Eriksson - Bo Horvat - Brock Boeser

Sven Baertschi - Elias Pettersson - Nikolay Goldobin

Brendan Leipsic - Brandon Sutter - Jake Virtanen

Granlund - Beagle - Antoine Roussel

Tim Schaller

Quinn Hughes/Derrick Pouliot - Chris Tanev

Alex Edler - Troy Stecher

Derrick Pouliot/Erik Gudbranson - Michael Del Zotto

Erik Gudbranson, Ben Hutton

Markstrom

Demko

And AHL:

Reid Boucher - Brendan Gaunce - Lukas Jasek

Jonathan Dahlén - Tanner Kero - Adam Gaudette

Carter Bancks - Wacey Hamilton - Tyler Motte

Tanner MacMaster - Joe Labate - Zack MacEwen

Michael Carcone, Alexis D'Aoust

Ashton Sautner - Guillaume Brisebois

Jalen Chatfield - Olli Juolevi

Alex Biega - Evan McEneny

Dylan Blujus

Richard Bachman

Ivan Kulbakov

I would think if Gaudette  is sent to Utica he will be the #1 centre.

Kole Lind is not on the list and he will be a top prospect in Utica.

Is there a log jam?

I see a full compliment of players with some kids pushing to make the club. If a prospect earns a spot then they make room. Someone gets trade or waived. You also have to remember that injuries have decimated this club over the last two years. 

The idea of a log jam is pushed by the media.

11 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I would think if Gaudette  is sent to Utica he will be the #1 centre.

Kole Lind is not on the list and he will be a top prospect in Utica.

That's thinking highly of Gaudette. I could see 2C, but Gaunce and Kero are both great AHLers.

As far as Lind goes, he could find a spot. My projection was based on Gaunce passing through waivers, while Gagner and Archibald both get claimed. If Gaunce is claimed off waivers (I don't know who would), then I could see Kero moving up to 1C, Gaudette to 2C, Motte to 2R, and Lind slotting in at 3R.

Bertuzzi was on 650 yesterday, and I really enjoy listening to him, because he tells it like it is. He was saying if Goldobin is not going to try and learn to score from the gritty areas, he won't be in Vancouver much longer. He points out that most goals are not on the perimeter, they are right near the paint. 

I never knew how much Todd was a student of the game.

Archived