The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Front Offices Rated....

Default The Athletic: NHL front office confidence rankings

https://theathletic.com/454869/2018/...team-is-doing/

Annual survey by The Athletic.  Fans  confidence in their clubs front office.

Why are CDN teams for poorly run.... ? 

Tampa #1.

Teams Based in Canada 

Leafs  - 2
Jets  - 4
Flames  - 21
Canucks   - 28
Oilers   - 29
Habs   - 30
Sens  -  31

Not surprised of the list.  Why are they so poorly run?  Good question.  I would say every team is different.  In Vancouver and Ottawa, I would blame the owners.  In Edmonton I would blame the GM and the old boys club in the past.  In Montreal I would blame the culture of must being French to work there leading to a small sample size to recruit competent staff members and the Flames because the expectations got too high on a crappy team and they’ve come down to reality.

I also believe because of our tax system and most Canadian teams rebuilding from powerhouse teams in recent past, they can’t recruit good players to these markets without overpaying and wasting cap when owners of these teams expect profits as the league depends on the Canadian markets to pay for the rest of the league that loses substantial money year after year.

I certainly don't think Vancouver is actually that poorly run. I do think that Linden was out of his depth as President, and I believe with more freedom and an aligned path to rebuild with ownership, Benning will do just fine.

I don't think the dispute was about whether to rebuild or not, I think the dispute between Linden and Ownership was HOW the rebuild should be performed. Personally I'm glad they chose Benning's direction over Lindens supposed direction.

If the talk is true, I think it was bad form for Linden to be going around to rival teams asking them "how did you handle your rebuild". As if rival execs would give help to the Canucks. I think that irked ownership more than anything since it showed Linden didn't after 4 years have everything he needed to be confident in the direction that the team needed to be put on.

Benning has over a quarter of a century of experience in hockey ops at all levels, I'll trust his intuition and direction over Linden's any day.

53 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Default The Athletic: NHL front office confidence rankings

https://theathletic.com/454869/2018/...team-is-doing/

Annual survey by The Athletic.  Fans  confidence in their clubs front office.

Why are CDN teams for poorly run.... ? 

Tampa #1.

Teams Based in Canada 

Leafs  - 2
Jets  - 4
Flames  - 21
Canucks   - 28
Oilers   - 29
Habs   - 30
Sens  -  31

Wow, you were able to find a survey that has the Leafs at/near the top?    Wow!....that must have taken a lot of effort.

36 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, you were able to find a survey that has the Leafs at/near the top?    Wow!....that must have taken a lot of effort.

Unlike ESPN/TSN, The Athletic actually has some pretty good writers.  The on-ice performance the past few years coupled with an actual firing of the top FO guy is what got the Canucks ranked so low.

If JB can survive long enough as the GM to see his picks play in the NHL, then the Canucks ranking will go up fast.

It's a survey of the fans in each market.

Canadians are just being critical because we're actually honest hockey fans, except those losers from Toronto who are obviously &^@#ing morons.

Winnipeg makes sense, they're headed in the right direction.

The rest of us (Canadians) have reasons to be critical. I'm not a huge fan of a few of JB's signings (love his drafting though, love it) and I don't like the Aqua, however we are headed in the right direction.

There's just been too much misdirection and failure over the last four years to really earn peoples respect for "the front office". The blow-out with Linden is a prime example.

I think it’s pretty accurate. The leafs rated that high is a laughable. Nucks are right we’re they belong. 

Ill be suprised if bennings the gm after this coming season. To bad the real problem will still be here looking for some new strings to pull on. 

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Two years ago when the Leafs tanked their way to last place in the league, they were similarly voted to be "the best organization in the NHL".

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Canadians are just being critical because we're actually honest hockey fans, except those losers from Toronto who are obviously &^@#ing morons.

The rest of us (Canadians) have reasons to be critical. I'm not a huge fan of a few of JB's signings (love his drafting though, love it) and I don't like the Aqua, however we are headed in the right direction.

There's just been too much misdirection and failure over the last four years to really earn peoples respect for "the front office". The blow-out with Linden is a prime example.

This^^^^^.

To me, this survey indicates that the Canucks fans are a disgruntled lot because of one of the following:

1) Tired of watching a losing team for the past three seasons

2) Tired that the team didn't do a full-on tank

3) Tired of being told by someone (anyone) from the management they are zigging while they are zagging

And given the low ratings given by the local fans (ratings so low that they rank 28th overall), it tells me that fans are placing the failure of the past few sesaons squarely on the font office.  Nothing new that you wouldn't already know if you're a regular on CDC.  Though I understand the tankers battle cry (short term pain for long term gain), I'm convinced that even the tankers hate losing and would admit that losing is for losers.  Am I wrong, Tank-Nation?

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Unlike ESPN/TSN, The Athletic actually has some pretty good writers.  The on-ice performance the past few years coupled with an actual firing of the top FO guy is what got the Canucks ranked so low.

If JB can survive long enough as the GM to see his picks play in the NHL, then the Canucks ranking will go up fast.

?  I like the Atlantic.   Wasn't even thinking about Canuck's ranking and frankly don't care -  was commenting on the smoke up Leaf's butt.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Is that the best you have.... ?  really ?

Best for what?   Really for what?   I just find if you were looking for something this summer to find the Leafs ranked highly at pretty much anything, towel folding, gatorade chilling, skate edge shine etc. you could find it.   That was the point - you didn't need Google skills to find such a ranking.

Not sure what you are on about.   Yes, there are lots of different polls that show the Leafs are great.   So what?

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

As what's happened with the prospect pool ratings, and in a relatively short period without any extra picks in the process either.

At least publicly ownership seems as positive as the fans generally about the prospects coming, which means Benning will be around until they make the lineup and prove whether they are players.  If they do, then we're on our way and can hit the next phase -- hockey trades to fill in the gaps.  They've also done a very good job in hockey ops with the likes of Brackett taking over scouting, Johnson with player development, and Malholtra and now White in coaching.  All those will likely be suddenly "recognized" once the Canucks return to respectability on the ice.

3 hours ago, VanGnome said:

I certainly don't think Vancouver is actually that poorly run. I do think that Linden was out of his depth as President, and I believe with more freedom and an aligned path to rebuild with ownership, Benning will do just fine.

I don't think the dispute was about whether to rebuild or not, I think the dispute between Linden and Ownership was HOW the rebuild should be performed. Personally I'm glad they chose Benning's direction over Lindens supposed direction.

If the talk is true, I think it was bad form for Linden to be going around to rival teams asking them "how did you handle your rebuild". As if rival execs would give help to the Canucks. I think that irked ownership more than anything since it showed Linden didn't after 4 years have everything he needed to be confident in the direction that the team needed to be put on.

Benning has over a quarter of a century of experience in hockey ops at all levels, I'll trust his intuition and direction over Linden's any day.

This. Benning is very capable IMO, excited to see him have a chance to spread his wings.... if aqua man doesn't interfere ;)

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

Very fair assessment and accurate one.  Its hard to truly as a fan judge how good management is because of the pats 4 years, its caused fans to become very jaded about their perspective on the front office. 

+1 for you

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

?  I like the Atlantic.   Wasn't even thinking about Canuck's ranking and frankly don't care -  was commenting on the smoke up Leaf's butt.

Ah ok.  Gotcha.  I misunderstood.  Most on CDC argue against publications and writers instead of the content of the writing every time something unflattering about the Canucks is said.  I assumed that's what you were doing.

A few years ago, Winnipeg would have been near the bottom of that list but kept their management intact and let them carry out their vision.

I can't argue with who is in the bottom four and I think we are in the right spot but I still think Edmonton should be the bottom.  The pieces they had/have are so much better than anyone else in the bottom four that there is no excuse.  I think Bergeron should fit in the bottom two because of his pathological need to dump youth and talent for lesser players or older players.

I just feel terrible for Ottawa fans.  

10 hours ago, luckylager said:

From what I've seen, being online for some "fans" is just a way to spew negativity. I'll get as worked up over this as a Botchford re-tweet. 

Archived