The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN Ranks Starting Goalies...

Provost

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Quite honestly if our combo is that bad, then is it not negligent for JB not to be doing something about it? I mean where does putting Gagner on waivers compare to playing 2 goalies who don't have what it takes to keep the team in the game and in fact who were often responsible for tilting the ice with their early f---ups.

Surely there must be a goalie somewhere who can be relied on to at least be steady. It was a dark day when we lost Miller but there was not much we could do about that I suppose.

I question your opinion on whether JB was negligent or not...….

Let's get away from the argument of whether our goalies are 30/31 Oa or not...certainly no top 15...probably not top 20, but look where Schneider is ranked...do you believe that?

But I wonder whether Benning didn't identify early that a rebuild was necessary, but for public relations and ticket sales, just could not come out and say it.

In saying that, he is saddled with Nilsson and Markstrom, because he can not go out and spend assets to go get better goaltending, as he needs those assets to collect picks for the rebuild, which everyone knew was going to happen, whether or not it was actually called a rebuild or not

My point also figures in the fact that if our goalies steal 3 or 4 more games, our picks are just that much worse, and that much more weaker.....over the long haul

I mean when one came available in Miller, who wanted to be on the west coast, he signed him......I believe out of fan pressure, and FA

But he seen that Miller was influencing his rebuild, and passed on resigning him...….I think it may have been a factor at any rate......

That and the 6 Million contract...…..

Over all I don't have too much a problem with the rankings, only that there are other issues affecting all the ranked goalies...aka strong and weak teams, defensive team vs offensive team, etc.....I think it influences goalie numbers somewhat...….does it excuse Markstrom and Nilsson completely...…….no, but it is a factor

And as a last point...……..PEOPLE HAVE TO REMEMBER!

The Canucks are a REBUILDING TEAM!

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Troll bird

No trolling here.

Pretty simple

After 5 years of Benning running this team...we are ranked DEAD last in almost every conceivable category.

A true Canuck fan would be sick of his act....and be demanding that someone with a clue is brought in to run the team.

The sooner ...the better.

He may be "OK " at drafting...

I suggest you go look up the 30-35 selections he's made so far before branding him a genius.

He sux at evaulating talent

He really sux at negotiating contracts

His UFA signing record is atrociuos.

He's made a joke of this franchise.....and it isn't going to change.

And now they've brought is Weisbrod ???

No one is going to want to play for this team soon.

Great city

Great fans

and we have to pay almost twice their value to get a UFA to sign here...

Umm ya know

2 hours ago, CeeBee51 said:

in case you have not figured it out Markstrom was here before Benning arrived. 

Benning inherited Markstrom.

Benning decided to sign Markstrom to a ridiculous salary even though he'd NEVER been an NHL starter.

Benning is not a good evaluator of talent.

Our goaltending situation is because of Benning.

There are numerous better goalies that could of been acquired.

Benning decided to go with Markstrom and Nillson and grossly over paid for BOTH of them

48 minutes ago, martybyrd said:

Benning decided to sign Markstrom to a ridiculous salary even though he'd NEVER been an NHL starter.

Benning decided to go with Markstrom and Nillson and grossly over paid for BOTH of them

$3.6m x3 years isn't close to being bad.

You also severely underestimate the importance of team defence. Give us any top goalie and watch their numbers regress. 

We are in a rebuild, there isn't a need to spend $8m+ on a top goalie. Let Markstrom play, develop and learn. If it's that evident he's not an NHL starter and we can't win with him in the future, we move on. Didn't cost us anything cause we're going to be $&!# to begin with.

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Lemme think?

Luongo

Lundqvist

Quick

Price

Maybe not Quick? The rest just above have had one or 3 years not at the top of their game. But, essentially, have been stellar their whole careers! 

What other ''top'' goalie has not had extended tough periods?

Next closest Bobro & Rinne. Even Schneider has had some shlat years...

Schneider, Price, Murray, F.Anderson, Gibson, Howard, Holtby, Rask, Rinne, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, seem to have done pretty well.

The point surely is we have TWO goalies who can't be relied on. Most other teams have a decent back up for when the no1 is "off" Miller had Markstrom and to my mind that was Markstrom's level. Nilsson isn't even a reliable backup imo.

The Canucks brass have a ton of faith in Demko and are patiently waiting for him to become a starter. If they didn't think this highly of him they would have been actively trying to acquire a good goalie or try and hang onto Miller a little longer. Throw in Dipietro and things don't look so bad.

We all knew this rebuild was going to suck and take time so why are so many fans upset with the way things are going? Mostly every hockey media personality out there has praised the Canucks for the direction they are heading with the influx of young talent and acknowledge that the Canucks will be a good if not great team once again in the near future. I personally don't think Jimbo will be at the helm once everything falls into place but I can assure you he will get a ton of credit for drafting the next core of Canuck players. 

On 2018-10-03 at 2:27 AM, Rick Blight said:

So Markstrom is ranked 31st by McLennan and that makes it official? Markstrom had a better save % than 12 other goalies on his list (Howard, Elliott, Lehner, Talbot, Holtby, Murray, Schneider, Ward, Price, Anderson, Allen, Darling), had a better GAA than 13 other goalies (Ward, Allen, Andersen, Howard, Murray, Schneider, Lundqvist, Holtby, Lehner, Talbot, Price, Anderson, Darling) and had the same or more wins than 10 other goalies (Ward, Anderson, Howard, Raanta, Luongo, Hutton, Schneider, Price, Lehner, Darling). So, other than being a Vancouver Canucks goalie, where is McLennan's evidence to suggest that Markstron is the worst starting goalie in the NHL? He certainly was not last year based on statistics so I have to assume McLennan is looking into his cracked crystal ball to forecast this year's performance?. 

In terms of value. he is the 26th highest paid goalie in the league.......

He is ranked nearly where he should be. 

What Markstom did last year was let in soft goals off first shots more than any goalie I can remember, he could not win an OT.  

Goalie is a a team position IMO. How the team played in front of him also matters. With our tire fire defence in pre season, I could see why he is ranked where he was. 

Great news, not hard to improve of last.  

16 hours ago, martybyrd said:

No trolling here.

Pretty simple

After 5 years of Benning running this team...we are ranked DEAD last in almost every conceivable category.

A true Canuck fan would be sick of his act....and be demanding that someone with a clue is brought in to run the team.

The sooner ...the better.

He may be "OK " at drafting...

I suggest you go look up the 30-35 selections he's made so far before branding him a genius.

He sux at evaulating talent

He really sux at negotiating contracts

His UFA signing record is atrociuos.

He's made a joke of this franchise.....and it isn't going to change.

And now they've brought is Weisbrod ???

No one is going to want to play for this team soon.

Great city

Great fans

and we have to pay almost twice their value to get a UFA to sign here...

Umm ya know

Troll bird is trying too hard... obvious troll is obvious. 

I prefer subtle trolls, that lure you in with some surface logic, then go full troll after you have engaged in a back and forth. 

You might as well as put up a neon sign that says ‘Troll’ with your posting. 

19 hours ago, martybyrd said:

3.6m x 3yrs might have been a ridiculous salary in 2004. It's 2018. Our tandem combined (5.6m) isn't as much as most NHL starters on their own.

Can already see Markstrom has made some changes to his play with Ian Clark being the coach.  After Game 1 he did look a little susceptible to the back door play much like Luongo did but that's also up to the defensive coverage to close that off.  Hopefully Nilsson makes some changes for the better as well.  Probably not 31st in the league but agree bottom third for sure.  Also I'd probably have our tandem over St Louis' current tandem and its basically the same $$ and they are a contender in the west.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2018 at 7:21 PM, Provost said:

Guess where Markstrom lands on the list?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/post-2-post-ranking-the-nhl-s-top-starting-goalies-1.1184876%3ftsn-amp

31st of course.  Personally, I think they are being generous :)

Those were the most vague, lazy, and inept ranking explanations i have ever seen . Did this guy write this on the toilet or what? 

On 2018-10-03 at 12:35 PM, janisahockeynut said:

I question your opinion on whether JB was negligent or not...….

Let's get away from the argument of whether our goalies are 30/31 Oa or not...certainly no top 15...probably not top 20, but look where Schneider is ranked...do you believe that?

But I wonder whether Benning didn't identify early that a rebuild was necessary, but for public relations and ticket sales, just could not come out and say it.

In saying that, he is saddled with Nilsson and Markstrom, because he can not go out and spend assets to go get better goaltending, as he needs those assets to collect picks for the rebuild, which everyone knew was going to happen, whether or not it was actually called a rebuild or not

My point also figures in the fact that if our goalies steal 3 or 4 more games, our picks are just that much worse, and that much more weaker.....over the long haul

I mean when one came available in Miller, who wanted to be on the west coast, he signed him......I believe out of fan pressure, and FA

But he seen that Miller was influencing his rebuild, and passed on resigning him...….I think it may have been a factor at any rate......

That and the 6 Million contract...…..

Over all I don't have too much a problem with the rankings, only that there are other issues affecting all the ranked goalies...aka strong and weak teams, defensive team vs offensive team, etc.....I think it influences goalie numbers somewhat...….does it excuse Markstrom and Nilsson completely...…….no, but it is a factor

And as a last point...……..PEOPLE HAVE TO REMEMBER!

The Canucks are a REBUILDING TEAM!

Good post, it’s supposition but does make sense.

Another supposition  is he picked up Nilsson who just had a Darling/Talbot like season with a very bad team in Buffalo (.921 sp I believe facing higher quality shots than a defensive team like LA or NSH) hoping he would actually help the team, and Markstroms work load, to help sell this idea that they couldn’t give up and say rebuild while the Sedins were here (that’s what they kept saying).

I like Benning, but one thing I don’t like is the lack of communication with the fan base on a clear direction this team is taking, like the building would vacate if the word rebuild was muttered.  Of course they said the polite things about not quitting on the Sedins and hung on to the idea of  a re-tool (which of course failed miserably), it’s only just last season that Linden under duress finally mentioned the word rebuild and did it in a strange way.  Since then of course they retired, Linden left (with no clear idea of what for other than they had different ideas), again like our heads would explode if we knew the truth.

I do get that he’s been quietly rebuilding all along, with moves like Bear and Granlund, Burr and Hansen and of course the prospect pool, I just wish they were clearer about the direction of the club and wouldn’t hold off on saying rebuild like it’s a dirty word.  He doesn’t have to go out and write a letter like NYR did last year (although that would have been nice), and now that the Sedins have retired there is no excuse not to say that we’ve been rebuilding all along, we were actually trying to make the playoffs and rebuild the prospects etc.

Every year there is a couple of great back-ups that get moved around, Grueber, Darling, Talbot are the last three years (and Lehner, Nilsson too), Nilsson is playing great right now and maybe he’s finally figured it all out, or maybe not and both him and Markstrom play about as well as they did last year until the end of the season.  If so and he doesn’t seek another solution than what your saying has merit, same thing if Nilsson plays lights out, wins the number one job and then gets traded.  Personally I don’t think the rebuild is over and we still need one or two high draft picks...but would also be over the moon if we made the playoffs, because that means we did it without OJ, Hughes and the rest that are coming soon.

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Those were the most vague, lazy, and inept ranking explanations i have ever seen . Did this guy write this on the toilet or what? 

No he’s copying other rankings, which also keep our goalies out.  THN  doesn’t either.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:39 AM, Phat Fingers said:

Troll bird is trying too hard... obvious troll is obvious. 

I prefer subtle trolls, that lure you in with some surface logic, then go full troll after you have engaged in a back and forth. 

You might as well as put up a neon sign that says ‘Troll’ with your posting. 

This is what a pos who cant handle criticism would say

Archived