The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Oh sorry since Linden was Captain so about 21 years.  Years we have had a Swede or a "skinny finesse Swede Captain" as 189lb enforcer? puts it.::D

Linden was a differently player (I'm refering to style more than anything) very early in his NHL career.  He hit everything in sight in his rookie year for example (even in practice!).  Not so much later on - though he still led by example in different ways.

Orland Kurtenback was the type of Captain Don Cherry would drool over.  Best player on the team and was a solid fighter (would fight and did).

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Linden was a differently player (I'm refering to style more than anything) very early in his NHL career.  He hit everything in sight in his rookie year for example (even in practice!).  Not so much later on - though he still led by example in different ways.

Orland Kurtenback was the type of Captain Don Cherry would drool over.  Best player on the team and was a solid fighter (would fight and did).

I will remember him in the 94 playoffs where  he did pretty much everything including keeping the team "pedal to the metal" for the entire post season. He could fight ,he could score and pretty much everything in between. "Warrior" is the term that comes to mind when I think of what he did that post season.

edit- thanks for the spelling lesson Nux. ::D

9 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I will remember him in the 94 playoffs where  he did pretty much everything including keeping the team "peddle to the metal" for the entire post season. He could fight ,he could score and pretty much everything in between. "Warrior" is the term that comes to mind when I think of what he did that post season.

Just not very good at it; but that shouldn't be any kind of measuring stick as to determine whether a player is good or not.  He's an example of how he put the team ahead of himself:

In one of his rare fights, he went after the guy that gave that puke #11 (I refuse to mention that Lay's potatoe chips 'bet you can't eat just one' sack of manure) a hit despite what that sack of feces did to Linden when that puke was a Ranger.

We need more of those guys on the team that react when EP (or anybody else) gets a cheapshot.

Definitely happy about the win. It looks like the Nucks could have had more penalties but the refs decided to give them some love instead of the crap they've dished out over the rest of the home stand. These guys have way too much control over the game. Need a better system.

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I fully agree but he is playing far tougher then I would have imagined and I am very interested to see how he plays once he grows into his man body and physique. Like I said, its going to be interesting to see how the two develop into leaders on this team.

I kind of see it like Sakic Forsberg situation. Foppa was probably the best player in the league for many seasons but he wore an A while Sakic wore a C. I would rathert have Bo shoulder the C which frees up Elias to rack up the points 

14 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I kind of see it like Sakic Forsberg situation. Foppa was probably the best player in the league for many seasons but he wore an A while Sakic wore a C. I would rathert have Bo shoulder the C which frees up Elias to rack up the points 

If they turn out to be anything like those two, I don't care which one wears the C and which one wears the A to be honest. That combination spells Stanley Cup either way.::D

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

Just be thankful there isn't a - button anymore or you definitely wouldn't have that rating! 

I think most of those pluses were actually people laughing at him and not realizing that this emoji :lol:counts as a plus. Of course being delusional is a common trait among the whiners on CDC.

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I will remember him in the 94 playoffs where  he did pretty much everything including keeping the team "peddle to the metal" for the entire post season. He could fight ,he could score and pretty much everything in between. "Warrior" is the term that comes to mind when I think of what he did that post season.

Linden was a full-measure of a warrior, but... he was a very bad fighter lol 

Like, can’t punch his way out of a wet paper bag, bad. 

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Linden was a full-measure of a warrior, but... he was a very bad fighter lol 

Like, can’t punch his way out of a wet paper bag, bad. 

True enough but he at least stood his ground and wasn't nothing like our last 2 Captains. They were great hockey players but "Warrior" does not come to mind when I think about their playoff performances.

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

This unfortunate misspell implies good ol' Trev was selling street drugs, back in '94.. Good thing he cleaned up his act!

Had they won it all, they'd have been showered with rose petals, parading down Robson St..& I'm not peddling fiction!

18 hours ago, EdgarM said:

True enough but he at least stood his ground and wasn't nothing like our last 2 Captains. They were great hockey players but "Warrior" does not come to mind when I think about their playoff performances.

It depends on what you're looking for.

If you're looking for "attack mode", no.

If you're looking for iron man, can take a whole lot of punishment and return to the game to help your team, yes.

It wasn't their game...theirs were based on skill.  So I do get tired of hearing this in a way that makes them seem "weak".  Give credit for guys who trained, hard, and managed to compete with players half their age at times due to their commitment and dedication to staying fit. 

Playoffs do see a level of increased intensity but it's not just who can pummel the other team the most/hardest.  It's about lasting through the duration of 4-7 game series and many don't.   The team realized some time ago that it was "us against the world" and we weren't going to get the calls and support that other teams do.  You start understanding that losing guys to suspension and injury mean the others have to fill in the gaps.  So you have to play with that in mind (too).   Don't forget, we were the "Bertuzzi incident", and that stuff sticks.  Gets very scary when lawsuits and other things start seeping in.  The team has been under a microscope and a scapegoat ever since (well, before that...but this just escalated things).  Takes time to let THAT reputation simmer down.

I don't know how it does us any good to keep going "there"....to "our captains haven't" done this or that.  Water under the bridge.   Those captains gave us some great hockey, even if they failed (in a team game) to deliver the ultimate prize.  Came close, isn't easy.

18 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Never Forget.

A239CEB8-8FF6-404B-8CFE-8041B213C89E.gif.958418af1cb8f0c419d9e10552c3ee21.gif

277A0F9D-08EF-418F-AA4E-39017715EE27.jpeg.9e1b8e59b46a5f209114cf249448bb2c.jpeg

011F420B-837C-4B5D-8449-DC216FF00EFB.gif.ada8d982029962503347eb90da0889e9.gif

Playoff hockey is not gentlemen hockey. Select a captain who can impact the game in more ways than one. 

Anyone recall when a young, rookie, Matt Greene grabbed Linden in a scrum and beat him up? Linden didn’t want to go and shouldn’t have had to.

What kind of puke does that to an honourable and respected vet like Linden? 

It was tough to watch. It’s always been tough to watch the past captains get rag-dolled and how it has affected the team psychologically and ultimately, it’s legacy. The C is a big deal. Especially here, this time, IMO. 

On 12/7/2018 at 4:57 PM, Alflives said:

I say Goldy needs to time to physically mature, and it would be a huge mistake to trade him now, before he develops.  His skills are unquestioned.  Patience is the key with Goldy.  Look at his face; he still looks like a little boy!  I say he’s better than .baer next season, and then really good, when he’s a matured man.  

AGREE all the way. This is a development year. A poll last year would ahve had Goldy moved out for a bag of pucks. This kid has great ice vision and at 200 pounds has size that Baer does not. I like Baer who IMO is a top 6 player but his longevity does not appear to be in the cards. Quite happy to watch Goldy play his season. Come spring I expect great things from him. 

Archived