The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 15, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Pete M said:

SMH...actualy (reality), Tkachuk is a team first guy...plays on the edge, however, he is a quality guy...just ask 'Q' (Quinn Hughes)....their buddies

Wrong Tkachuk.  Brady Tkachuk is Quinn Hughes' buddy and plays for Ottawa.

35 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Agree.

cdc hates on this kid so much.  Do I like how he conducts himself on occasion.  No way.  Total rat.  But he would be a huge help to our team and any team ftm.  Playoff player written all over him.

i dont hate the kid, i hate that bloody uniform and the team he plays for. LOL.  I also hated watching his dad play against the Canucks, he was a real pain in the arse.

OJ could very well turn out to be a big part of the future of this group.  I like to think that picking OJ had the same line of thinking as selecting Pettersson behind it.  Pettersson was not consensus #5, and if they went with all of the draft rankings etc, they would have picked someone like Mittelstadt or Glass.  Pettersson was probably more of a "against the draft rankings" pick than OJ was (some rankings had him at 15 and 17!). At the end of the day you win some and you lose some (so far it seems).  In Pettersson's case it looks like they won big time.

Personally, the biggest reason I wish JB could take that pick back is because we as fans will have to hear about Tkachuk till the day he retires.  Look at this thread, PGT about Philly/Vancouver and the f#$#rs  name pops in here again.  

Just now, Darius said:

i dont hate the kid, i hate that bloody uniform and the team he plays for. LOL.  I also hated watching his dad play against the Canucks, he was a real pain in the arse.

OJ could very well turn out to be a big part of the future of this group.  I like to think that picking OJ had the same line of thinking as selecting Pettersson behind it.  Pettersson was not consensus #5, and if they went with all of the draft rankings etc, they would have picked someone like Mittelstadt or Glass.  Pettersson was probably more of a "against the draft rankings" pick than OJ was (some rankings had him at 15 and 17!). At the end of the day you win some and you lose some (so far it seems).  In Pettersson's case it looks like they won big time.

Personally, the biggest reason I wish JB could take that pick back is because we as fans will have to hear about Tkachuk till the day he retires.  Look at this thread, PGT about Philly/Vancouver and the f#$#rs  name pops in here again.  

Tkachuk is what Kesler was to other teams. A skilled, impact player that dives and whines too much. 

You can't go back and say we should have drafted this guy or that one. Think about the changes that that may have put into place.  What if Tkachuck had of helped immediately and then we weren't able to draft Petey  and then missed out on Hughes. No one makes a perfect pick everytime but it is what happens over a few years. OJ also may become a real solid top 4 D man. It's not like we don't need one of those.

2 minutes ago, J-P said:

As long as we’re not discussing last night’s game or anything: I think the tune about Joulevi will change quite a lot once he starts setting up EP and Brock for one-timers and tip-ins. 

Or OJ and Hughes paired together.

A team is more than one player but it is the a proper balance of a variety of skills playing in unison.  A team with no weakness. 

10 hours ago, Fanaholic said:

If the building wasn't like minus 40 with cold air blowing out from above I might have enjoyed the game. . .    GEEZ, Vancouver.   Not joking, I was wearing two jackets, long sleeved sweater, a jersey and a toque.   It was so damn cold in there it actually ruined the experience.   Having said all that, Philly sure needs a goalie.  Marky played a great game and our D, in my opinion pinched too much.   There were a lot of odd man rushes and you don't want that happening tomorrow against Oilers.   I di think that Tanev's goal was the best goal of the night.  I hate complaining but honestly it was so cold in the building it really ruined our night.  And I already wrote a message to my sales manager about it  Hopefully it does not happen again but I plan to call the arena tomorrow to find out.  

It's a hockey game.......if cold air ruined it for you, not sure what to tell you

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's a hockey game.......if cold air ruined it for you, not sure what to tell you

when you're wearing 13 layers and still bitching about the temperature, but everyone else around you is totally fine, maybe the problem is you.

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

Kind of a strange game, but nice to see the Canucks get the win. And there were a lot of things to like about tonight's game.

1. The Canucks could have easily been down 2-0 after the first two minutes, but Marky game up with some big saves early--and some big saves late. WIth below average or even average goaltending, tonight's game would have been very different. Marky deserved being chosen as first star.

2. Nice to see Gaudette get on the scoreboard with an assist. He played a very good game and had some great opportunities to score. And his defensive play was good.

3. JV did not get on the board and did not generate a lot of comment, but I think he played an excellent game. He made a lot of very good defensive plays tonight, and was good in the offensive zone. 

4. Eriksson played well. Before he scored I was thinking that he deserved to get on the board as he was playing well at both ends of the ice.

5. Tanev was a rock on D, and scored a great goal on the Canucks' first shot of the game. 

Here are some other, less positive, comments.

6. EP40 had a quiet game. I would always be reluctant to claim any play he makes as a mistake because he is so creative with the puck. Not everything works every time, but his instincts are are impressive. However, he had a quiet game tonight despite getting an assist. He was fighting the puck on the PP and he seemed to be trying to do too much himself tonight at 5-on-5.

7. The Canuck PP overall really struggled tonight..

8. It seems like every game Pouliot looks to me like a weak link. He made two bad plays on the Flyers goal tonight. Shortly before the goal he has possession of the puck near the Canuck blueline. Instead of doing something good with the puck he passed it to no-one in particular across the ice near the Flyer blueline and the Flyers gained possession and skated back quickly. Pouliot made a pretty casual attempt at a poke check on Laughton, who got past him and scored. Pouliot should have either take the body on the play or focused more on making a play on the puck.

9. Finally, on a positive note, great to see Boeser playing better. And Goldy is playing better defence.

Glad you.mentioned Jake.......I thought he was outstanding again, maybe the best Canuck, overall, in the game.

21 minutes ago, Darius said:

When I was going over the 2017 draft, I discounted Pettersson because of his size.  It's old fashioned thinking I know but the logic was that it didn't matter how good he was, if he was too small, he would be beaten up physically and never be able to show the skill.  It has been proven that this is wrong headed but it helps to explain how EP fell to #5.  As it is turning out, many are saying that the Canucks got the best player in the draft in 2017.

The hand wringing over Juolevi is easy to do 3 years after the draft.  Woulda shoulda coulda......get over it.  Drafting players at 17 is extremely difficult because there is so much development both personal and hockey wise for these players to do.  Keep in mind that the GM's prepare their own draft rankings.  They don't go by Central Scouting or Bob MacKenzie's list.  So, MacKenzie had Tkachuk at #4 and OJ at #6.  Centre's and D tend to be more desireable.  At the draft, Dubois, who it was felt could play centre and was ranked #5 went 3OA.  Another factor that causes players to fall or rise is how long they are expected to take to play in the NHL.  And also intangibles.

Juolevi was the top ranked D on the board according to MacKenzie and the first D drafted.  Based on his performance at the World Juniors, this was no surprise at the time.  It is very plausible that Benning had OJ ranked 5 or higher as well.  I had heard that Tkachuk, like his father, was seen as a disruptive force both on and off the ice.  They are trying to draft a team after all.

You could argue that Benning was picking for need when he took OJ but it is just as likely that he was picking according to his own rankings.  3 years later, it's looking like OJ will become a 2nd pair D.  It's not what you would like from a 5OA pick but it is certainly a good piece to have and a piece that is very difficult to trade for.

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

When I was going over the 2017 draft, I discounted Pettersson because of his size.  It's old fashioned thinking I know but the logic was that it didn't matter how good he was, if he was too small, he would be beaten up physically and never be able to show the skill.  It has been proven that this is wrong headed but it helps to explain how EP fell to #5.  As it is turning out, many are saying that the Canucks got the best player in the draft in 2017.

The hand wringing over Juolevi is easy to do 3 years after the draft.  Woulda shoulda coulda......get over it.  Drafting players at 17 is extremely difficult because there is so much development both personal and hockey wise for these players to do.  Keep in mind that the GM's prepare their own draft rankings.  They don't go by Central Scouting or Bob MacKenzie's list.  So, MacKenzie had Tkachuk at #4 and OJ at #6.  Centre's and D tend to be more desireable.  At the draft, Dubois, who it was felt could play centre and was ranked #5 went 3OA.  Another factor that causes players to fall or rise is how long they are expected to take to play in the NHL.  And also intangibles.

Juolevi was the top ranked D on the board according to MacKenzie and the first D drafted.  Based on his performance at the World Juniors, this was no surprise at the time.  It is very plausible that Benning had OJ ranked 5 or higher as well.  I had heard that Tkachuk, like his father, was seen as a disruptive force both on and off the ice.  They are trying to draft a team after all.

You could argue that Benning was picking for need when he took OJ but it is just as likely that he was picking according to his own rankings.  3 years later, it's looking like OJ will become a 2nd pair D.  It's not what you would like from a 5OA pick but it is certainly a good piece to have and a piece that is very difficult to trade for.

I dont know if the bold was directed at me?  I am over it.  I could always see the reasoning behind the pick.  

The way I look at it is GMs are rarely going to nail every pick for the reasons you bring up.  In a lot of ways drafting is like gambling and its easy for fans to criticise picks years later.  I too remember reading McKenzie's article right before the draft where Bob stated that Juolevi was viewed as the top D in the draft.

If the kid turns out to be a solid top 4 d man he will improve this team.  He will be part of the upward trajectory this team will take.  

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

You can't go back and say we should have drafted this guy or that one. Think about the changes that that may have put into place.  What if Tkachuck had of helped immediately and then we weren't able to draft Petey  and then missed out on Hughes. No one makes a perfect pick everytime but it is what happens over a few years. OJ also may become a real solid top 4 D man. It's not like we don't need one of those.

OJ does well playing with high end talent (Marner, Tkachuk, Dvorak in junior and Laine, Poolparty in WJC), now that Canucks are getting some high end talent up front, he will probably continue the trend of playing well with high end talent...just a matter of time before he emerges.

3 hours ago, da_hool said:

Wrong Tkachuk.  Brady Tkachuk is Quinn Hughes' buddy and plays for Ottawa.

Yeah, but he (Q) knows the family very well...all the talk in cowtown is the kid is a high character guy with leadership abilities...they're even talking about the next captain of the team.

The kid is tough to play against...just the kind of player you need in the playoffs, with a high hockey IQ. People talking smack about him just oozes quality...lol

Archived