The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] If we are buyers

FaninMex

I believe owners and management want us to make a push for the playoffs. I think it would be great for the growth of our young guys to make the playoffs as well. So who could we add to bolster with out selling the farm?

Leivo EP BB

______ Horvat Virt

______ Sutter Eriksson

______ Beagle Roussel

Edler Tanev

Hutton Guddy

_____ ______

These are the areas that I think we could improve and who I think management won't move. I do not follow any other team besides the cursory glance now and then.

Are there any players that would be upgrades to the above positions?

Personally, I think it would be a big mistake to be buyers at the TDL this year. We're still quite far out of a playoff spot (when games in hand are taken into consideration) and our team isn't on the cusp of some great playoff run. Let's wait until we can at least make it past the first round before forfeiting the future for a good playoff run.

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Unless you consider trades like carcone for leivo buying

Agree.

I’ll be first to join the fire Benning brigade if we are buyers.  Good thing that won’t be happening.  Stay the course, whether we are in a winning streak or losing streak.

8 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I believe owners and management want us to make a push for the playoffs. I think it would be great for the growth of our young guys to make the playoffs as well. So who could we add to bolster with out selling the farm?

Leivo EP BB

______ Horvat Virt

______ Sutter Eriksson

______ Beagle Roussel

Edler Tanev

Hutton Guddy

_____ ______

These are the areas that I think we could improve and who I think management won't move. I do not follow any other team besides the cursory glance now and then.

Are there any players that would be upgrades to the above positions?

Sven?

What is your definition of “buyers”?

trading picks for short term help and maybe get into the playoffs?

or

Trading picks for short term help as well as a player that could help long term that fits our future plans? 

Two completely different philosophy’s 

Only buying we might be smart to do would be upgrading our defense if a contender comes along offering a blue chip defense prospect and or picks for a guy like tanev or edler.

We will need to make changes eventually as there is a logjam at forward and Hughes and or Joulevi pushing for ice on defense in the near future.

Like I said in another post... I'd be wary of selling the farm yet.... young legs down the stretch tend to fade.

I'd focus on upgrading our middling players.

2 minutes ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Only buying we might be smart to do would be upgrading our defense if a contender comes along offering a blue chip defense prospect and or picks for a guy like tanev or edler.

We will need to make changes eventually as there is a logjam at forward and Hughes and or Joulevi pushing for ice on defense in the near future.

Like I said in another post... I'd be wary of selling the farm yet.... young legs down the stretch tend to fade.

I'd focus on upgrading our middling players.

Heard yeasterday on 650 that the Flyers would be very interested in Sutter.  Guy said Sutter would get a lot of interest, if he came available.  He said the Flyers would be willing to part with a young D for Sutter; not Provorov.  He mentioned Ghost.  

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Heard yeasterday on 650 that the Flyers would be very interested in Sutter.  Guy said Sutter would get a lot of interest, if he came available.  He said the Flyers would be willing to part with a young D for Sutter; not Provorov.  He mentioned Ghost.  

That would be interesting, if true....it would fix the offensive side of the problem on RHD

It would be a mistake to be buyers this year. If they make the playoffs....then I guess that is great for the youngsters to get a glimpse of what playoff hockey is like and how the physical part of the game takes a big leap forward.

Even if we are in contention for the playoffs I still feel moving Edler or Tanev for quality pieces going forward is the right move for this team. I am okay with re signing Edler depending on his term and cap hit demands on July 1.

Sell off some players at the deadline and bring up big Mac for a stretch of games and or Dahlen. On D we could give a couple guys a sip of the NHL and maybe Hughes if his College team falters and bows out early this upcoming spring.

I will probably get negative feedback on this but us being buyers and giving up what little assets we may have would be a mistake.

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

No...I checked with Cap friendly and NHl Arm Chair and he is listed as a RHD

I don't know???:unsure:

I’m pretty sure he’s a lefty.  I’m good at remembering which way a guy shoots.  It’s a game we played on the bus with hockey cards.  

Archived