The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] If we are buyers

FaninMex

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m pretty sure he’s a lefty.  I’m good at remembering which way a guy shoots.  It’s a game we played on the bus with hockey cards.  

if this is the philly D named Ghost.............. then yes he is 100% a left shot player, no idea if he can or does play the right side tho

It just makes common sense that we should always be actively looking for deals as teams are always looking to free up cap space, strengthen their team for the playoffs, replace injured players et. etc. 

These trade deadlines are no different then any other in that "if we can make our team stronger" and be on the advantageous side of the deal, then we should look at all options.

I think its a GM's job to know this about his fellow peers and  take advantage when the opportunity exists. I think JB will pounce on something that makes sense. 

Like I have said before, we have a few things on our side; we have no pressure to win now, we have excessive cap space and there is no urgency to "give away" any of our players.

This puts us in a great position to just sit and wait until we can add a piece to "Our" puzzle on "Our" terms.

If a deal comes along and it improves the team long term Jim and co have gotta look at it. Jim's always making calls and checking in around the league, that's what a gm does. But we're not in a position to risk our future to chase the playoffs. If we make it it'll be on the backs of the guys we've got with maybe a minor deal thrown in to improve em. We're not there yet and we should still be stockpiling draft picks and prospects. We're finally starting to look like we're trending up, let's be patient.

Guys I could see JB target. If we are indeed in a playoff hunt that wouldn't cost us the whole farm.

• Miles wood.  forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/10396
  • Maybe CHI sells low on Saad. 
  • Curious about Connor Murphy not sure what he would cost? forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/9011
  • Scott Laughton. forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/9415
  • Valeri Nichushkin
  • Ferland
  • Nick Ritchie

I think 2 of these guys could be picked up without devastating our future success. I am also quite ok with JB spending a lil but not over spending this year if we are in a playoff spot as the D or LW w mean streak we need to draft will be available at our likely draft position. Personally I like Foote and Seider who might even be there with an early 2nd something that could be acquired in a move to make room for the players above. 

15 hours ago, FaninMex said:

I believe owners and management want us to make a push for the playoffs. I think it would be great for the growth of our young guys to make the playoffs as well. So who could we add to bolster with out selling the farm?

Leivo EP BB

______ Horvat Virt

______ Sutter Eriksson

______ Beagle Roussel

Edler Tanev

Hutton Guddy

_____ ______

These are the areas that I think we could improve and who I think management won't move. I do not follow any other team besides the cursory glance now and then.

Are there any players that would be upgrades to the above positions?

I think there is a full time force to constantly ice a better team, better players etc but it has no regard to the TDL in which playoff teams  try to add a certain piece to make them a better contender. I don't believe the Nucks in any way are thinking along those lines. Yes they want to make the playoffs but not at the risk of losing young talent for a proven player.

If we can buy Stone, with an extension, without trading Petey, Bo, Boeser, Hughes, or Demko I’d say I’m down to buy. 

But realistically just stay the course, move some dead weight like MDZ, Pouliot and/or Gagner if possible. Get picks or do what Toronto did get a tough bottom 6 guy to help shelter kids in the playoffs.

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Sutter for Gostisbehere, would prefer Phillip Myers

I would do this in a heartbeat. Ghost would be a great addition to our blue line. 25 years old, RD but left handed, can QB one of our PP’s while Hughes runs the other PP.

Might need to add to get him tho.

Edler Ghost

Hughes Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:39 AM, FaninMex said:

I think it would be great for the growth of our young guys to make the playoffs as well. So who could we add to bolster with out selling the farm?

How many points to make the playoffs? 95 or so? 57 more points in 43 games, the team would have play almost as good as Tampa is now.

Put this idea of playoffs to bed all getting close will do is extend the rebuild another season or two.

A solid plan for the playoffs and playoff success would be to trade for as many picks as possible, 2020 picks GM's will be more agreeable to trade picks for that year because all the attention will be on the CBA and if there is a season lost those picks will be likely forgotten about because of the 2021 expansion and junior drafts.

If buyers, buyers of bad contracts for draft picks.  

4 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Sutter for Gostisbehere, would prefer Phillip Myers

A 25 year old coming off a 65pt season vs an undrafted Myers who has yet to play in the NHL and hasn't even produced at that rate in the AHL.    

Can't imagine Gostisbehere being available for Sutter.  

On 12/22/2018 at 3:45 PM, hammertime said:

Guys I could see JB target. If we are indeed in a playoff hunt that wouldn't cost us the whole farm.

• Miles wood.  forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/10396
  • Maybe CHI sells low on Saad. 
  • Curious about Connor Murphy not sure what he would cost? forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/9011
  • Scott Laughton. forecaster.thehockeynews.com/player/9415
  • Valeri Nichushkin
  • Ferland
  • Nick Ritchie

I think 2 of these guys could be picked up without devastating our future success. I am also quite ok with JB spending a lil but not over spending this year if we are in a playoff spot as the D or LW w mean streak we need to draft will be available at our likely draft position. Personally I like Foote and Seider who might even be there with an early 2nd something that could be acquired in a move to make room for the players above. 

Anaheim's having trouble scoring so I'd probably be down to trade one of Baertschi or Goldie straight up for Nick Ritchie.  Of course Leivo has been a match since day one but in case we need a tougher guy for the post-season then sign me up.  

I'd take Murphy if Tanev does get dealt.  Ideally we'd have a more offensively capable right-side guy but shouldn't be too bad.

Merry Christmas CDC!

Archived