The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Alex Edler Peaking at 32?

dank.sinatra

Hear me out here,

I know Eddy has garnered his fair share of hate from fans and CDC posters over the past years (whether that hate has been deserved or not remains up for debate) but this year he has undoubtedly been the Canucks most valuable defenseman. Is Alex Edler finally becoming the "Lidstrom-lite" many touted him as 10 years ago? Maybe not quite, but there is a fair argument to be made that he is actually having his "breakout" (or at least come-back) season.

Have a look at Eddy's stats over the years

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=78705

He broke out for 37 points in his second full season in the NHL in 08/09 playing on a decent Canucks team. Eddy was 22 for the majority of that season. For the next four seasons, until the mini-lockout of  2012/2013, Eddy was essentially a rock solid, 40-50 point, defenseman. Regardless of the scrutiny in defensive play that is inherent to being a top pairing d-man in Vancouver, Edler was putting up solid numbers as a first-pair D-man in the NHL. The team was also regarded as one of the best in the league for a few seasons during this time, that's not an easy spot for defensemen to reach.

Enter the 2013/2014 season - now; in a nutshell Edler was plagued by injury and played on trash teams. Edler endured much scrutiny while playing under John Tortorella and Willie Desjardins, on some of the most pitiful teams the franchise has ever iced. The combination of injuries, bad chemistry with coaches, and just downright bad teams led Edler into becoming a Vancouver whipping boy. He certainly did look uninspired during this period, but can you blame him? Your team is trash, you're constantly trying to comeback from an injury, and to top it off you hate the system your coach is imposing. Edler certainly didn't look his best, but he was still our top pairing d-man, despite the terrible circumstances.

Jump to now, Edler looks rejuvenated playing with young stars under Travis Green. Offensively, he's producing at the best rate of his career, and to me he looks as good as ever on the defensive side. The years where he was expected to hit his peak potential were stifled by the factors mentioned in the paragraph above. Personally, I haven't been this excited by the play of a Vancouver defenseman since maybe Christian Ehroff and uhh Alex Edler in 2010/2011. He not only looks like a true top-pair d-man again, but one many teams around the league should be envious of. He's been jumping up at all the right moments and for the most part been rock steady in his own zone. Hey, he's even been passing to Brock on the powerplay. All jokes aside about Edler and his penchant to skip the obvious pass for a shot into shin-pads, I think he's looked very good on the PP1 since returning from injury. He's certainly been way better on the PP than any other defenseman in the lineup.

Basically, Edler was denied his glory days due to horrible teams, injuries, and unfortunate coaches. Right now it looks like he may be showing us his true potential at 32. Personally, I hope he can keep it up until the end of his career and become a key part of this team as they move towards being competitive. 

I know a lot of people have been very vocal about trading Edler for prospects and picks, would you guys still be of that opinion if a 37 year old Eddy could be contributing to a Stanley Cup contending Canucks team in five years?

17 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

No...hes just showing up because its his contract year.

I'd say he "showed-up" last year while playing under Travis Green too. The team was just worse last year than this year, so Edler looked worse as well. It's hard to look good as a top 2 D on an otherwise trash roster. Last year Green, Horvat and Boeser all made Edler look a little better than the previous atrocities and he reached 34 points in 70 games (not a contract year). This year, the team is better and Edler is even more familiar (and clearly thriving) with Green. Edler has expressed his strong desire to stay in Vancouver, I see him as the kind of guy who wants to win here at all costs and has endured some dark times, not the kind of guy who shows up only in a contract year. But hey, those are just my points to support my opinion, so tell me, what are yours?

5 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

He should buy into the system every year not just when he wants.

Again, look at the points in my OP and come up with some valid reasons for your opinion that Edler just shows up "when he wants". You're just spreading BS until you can do otherwise.

5 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

I'd say he "showed-up" last year while playing under Travis Green too. The team was just worse last year than this year, so Edler looked worse as well. It's hard to look good as a top 2 D on an otherwise trash roster. Last year Green, Horvat and Boeser all made Edler look a little better than the previous atrocities and he reached 34 points in 70 games (not a contract year). This year, the team is better and Edler is even more familiar (and clearly thriving) with Green. Edler has expressed his strong desire to stay in Vancouver, I see him as the kind of guy who wants to win here at all costs and has endured some dark times, not the kind of guy who shows up only in a contract year. But hey, those are just my points to support my opinion, so tell me, what are yours?

Yeah he had a good year last year.  Better this.  He is re-peaking at 32.

9 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

He has his moments, like stiff leg falls downs when he knows he is beat.  And the blue line fumbles. But he has been pretty good this year, and most of last too.  So he gets whatever Green is teaching the guys.   I say sign him for 1 year at a time.  Hometown discount.  He is at a baraining disadvantage with his staunchly public statements about wanting to stay in Vancouver.  Win the team.  Best case scenario is the Canucks trade him this spring, and re-sign him for cheaper than other teams offer, in July, for short term. Max 2 years.  7.75mil.

18 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

I'd say injuries and an abysmal roster played a big part in his dip. He's been solid his whole csreer, just a bit fragile in recent years. He seems to of found his groove.

Edler doesn't have to carry so much of the defensive load this season. Guys like Beagle, Sutter and Horvat really help take the load off him and the team in general and young guys like Granny, Motte and Virtanen that have all become very defensively reliable has helped the team overall as well. I'd say Edler's "resurgence" is more due to the team overall being better and having better structure than he himself. Not to take anything away from Edler, he's been solid overall this season.

9 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Edler doesn't have to carry so much of the defensive load this season. Guys like Beagle, Sutter and Horvat really help take the load off him and the team in general and young guys like Granny, Motte and Virtanen that have all become very defensively reliable has helped the team overall as well. I'd say Edler's "resurgence" is more due to the team overall being better and having better structure than he himself. Not to take anything away from Edler, he's been solid overall this season.

Agree with this. Having fleet fwds puts the top D-men in compromised positions far fewer times. The team's moving through all zones as a more cohesive unit.

Edler has been good. Fact is, he is still our best alround D-man. 

Sign him to a 2-3 year contract (preferably 2) at 7mill. Over the next two year money/cap is not a problem. he’s definitely earning a new contract now. 

Forget anout the pipe dream of Edler leaving for draft pick and then signing here again in the Summer. Won’t happen. If the Canucks really wants him to re-sign here, they won’t rock the boat. 

They also know, that if he continues to play at this level, there will be lots of suitors for his signature in the summer. 

I don't think so. I think fans are just beginning to appreciate what a rock he has been to this team down the years. It is easy to play your best in a top performing team but it take character to carry a team, as Edler has done, when they were languishing in the basement.

2-3 Years ago when many Canucks fans were on his case relentlessly I read that Chicago were interested. I was fizzing at the thought of him in a Hawks jersey while our fans had driven down his stock and eventually the player himself out of Vancouver. 

Thankfully our GM had more sense.

I always saw Edler up there with the Sedins, and it is only fitting he should get to retire a Canuck.

4 hours ago, dank.sinatra said:

You got it wrong, it's not up to the team to make the player look good, it's up to the player to make the team look good. 

9 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

You got it wrong, it's not up to the team to make the player look good, it's up to the player to make the team look good. 

In all fairness, he could not make it by himself. Edler has been good overall for years, and was always the most reliable defenseman despite the team not being good. He's been a force throughout Tortorella's and Desjardins' time with the team, logging big minutes and sometimes being the only stable offensive drive this team had. He deserves it. I would put his resurgence on his hard work and commitment to the team.

3 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

There is no i in team.

Pettersson, eveb him, needs the improved speed and tenacity of our better depth forwards this year; Beagle Motte, Jake, Roussel. Even Pettersson, a budding superstar, on his own can only have lifted this team so far. They tackle the key match ups, do the PK, create pressure which leaves many teams physically gassed, vulnerable. To have the team competing for the playoff's. 

Add to it improved play by Edler, but also Hutton & Guddy on D. Yanev for remaining steady. The league is full, but only to a point, of guys like Edler. Who are capable of raising their play when they get to skate with top players. But might not be good enough to lift the team single handily. There are obviously more guys who are not capable of lifting their game at all. More Matt Bartkowski anyone?

So lets just credit Edler where credit is due, for taking advantage right now. He is helping guys like Pettersson and Boeser.  And he's putting up points WITH them. 

Edler has been fine all these years. He's been depended to be the number 1 dman for the majority of his career when he never really was one (and the team hasn't found a replacement for years). It's no surprise that when the team was trash that his numbers don't look good when you are depended on taking the big minutes with not much support.

Edler could've been even better in his younger years but a back injury really set him back. I think he's redefined his game slightly the last couple of years and the addition of the youth has been a breath of fresh air to him (and all of us as well).

Two players reasons:  Chris Tanev and Elias Pettersson.  Tanev makes any d-man better, even Edler.  This allows Edler to jump the rush more contributing to more points which is where EP40 factors in as well.  EP40 gives the team hope in joining the rush and also give the Canucks more possession time in the offensive zone.   The resurgence of Edler has been great, just hope this isn't a contract thing and he continues it if he resigns here. 

Archived