The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Captaincy question

Rate this topic

Slegr

282C6B95-669E-4934-AA31-51037688C695.jpeg.fa0e0bb5daaeadf030ea04d9afe9e736.jpeg

I saw this and laughed.

This team’s next captain must be a warrior who can carry the flag in any situation. 

When is a pulled-goalie ever captain material, as was the case with Lu some nights. 

The franchise has been a circus and earned the disrespect it’s become a magnet for. 

Break the trend. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I saw this and laughed.

This team’s next captain must be a warrior who can carry the flag in any situation. 

When is a pulled-goalie ever captain material, as was the case with Lu some nights. 

The franchise has been a circus and earned the disrespect it’s become a magnet for. 

Break the trend. 

Yes if we can break that trend with anybody that resembles a Lemieux ,Sakic or an Yzerman I will be happy.

I agree with the post above.

I won't see a captain on this team until we draft or trade for someone like Iginla. So let me be plain, Bo is not captain material imo.

For a while I actually saw Tryamkin as captain material - but then he went all "self entitled martyr" on us.

Just for once I want to hear a Canucks captain say. "The liberty they took with xxxx was not going to go unanswered, so as captain I felt it was my job to send their guy to the A&E. The days of turning the other cheek will not be acceptable on this team now"

Edited by alfstonker
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, StarGirl said:

Well, I was one of the biggest Horvat 'Future Captain' fans before. But now after realizing how important EP is to our team, I can't help but start to question as well...

EP is not fluent in English. Captain has lots of media responsibilities.

Bo fits the bill the best. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I think a captain should also have a lot of community involvement as well. I would like to see Bo embrace the city a bit more with more community events, but I do think he's currently best suited for the role. 

It wouldn't shock me if Gudbranson is considered as an option as it looks like he's good with media and has been involved with the city, but unfortunately his play isn't quite up to the standards set with previous captains, but maybe that is something different that we haven't had. He is a guy that will stand up for his teammates though and likely respected amongst his peers. We have seen lesser captains, but I can certainly tell already that the fanbase will not accept this idea. We have seen teams that have young cores go with guys like Justin Williams, Nick Foligno, Derek Mackenzie and Andy Greene. Although this might make it more plausible that someone like Edler could get it for a couple of seasons until a young guy steps up.

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I don't give a cr@p what his "media responsibilities" are, his main responsibility should be to take this team to WINNING A STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2019 at 11:42 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

I saw this and laughed.

Break the trend. 

One of the stupidest set of labels I have seen in a long time and really disrespectful of 3 great Canucks players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Captain Lays man.  Lays Chips.  Show some respect.

Bet you can't eat just one.

12 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Captain__________ ! 

Tank

Don’t give a ####

Doritos

8441177B-42AC-4682-9C3F-F004E112E64C.jpeg

Thinking about eating some lays, while I skate my super fast and super lazy circle from one blue line to the other...maybe if my troups get the puck in our zone where its been the entire shift,  they can pass and I can show them what a break away Messier Style looks like.  

PS I LIKE the Orca, Orca Entertainment got me the endorsement for Lays - suck it Vancouver!

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

One of the stupidest set of labels I have seen in a long time and really disrespectful of 3 great Canucks players.

After watching pretty much every game those players played, I would say its pretty accurate. Sad but true. The only guy that truly bled for this team was Captain Canuck.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Some of the logic here is laughable. You want Pettersson because he 'fights' for the puck but want Bo to literally drop the gloves and 'fight'. When Bo was the only one on the team that can take a faceoff and kill penalties, some of you think he should stand up for team mates and sit for 5 minutes or more. When he has taken the most draws in the NHL when Beagle and Sutter were out, which also extends his hard minutes since he can't just take a draw and then go off some times, some of you expect him to take runs and hit all that's in sight. Then you go further and question his drive and passion for the team and winning.  Give me a frigging break.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I have to admit, I have questioned this lately. I still think it's Bo, at this point, but after seeing how competitive Petey is, I am definitely questioning it. It's really interesting seeing that competitive streak out of a Swede. He wants to win. He's not satisfied. Petterson's interviews are genuine and don't sound rehearsed at all (unlike his really bad commercial with Capilano Audi:bigblush:.) It feels like night and day compared to the Sedins. I know they wanted to win, but if they lost it was kind of like "Oh well. We have things we got to work on and we'll do better next time." Petey is visibly mad when he doesn't win. Not for a lack of skill or try. He holds himself and his team mates to a higher standard and he wants that because he wants to win and he wants them to win. If that's not captain material, I don't know what is. 

I'd probably let it go one more year, TBH.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, blackpluto96 said:

Some of the logic here is laughable. You want Pettersson because he 'fights' for the puck but want Bo to literally drop the gloves and 'fight'. When Bo was the only one on the team that can take a faceoff and kill penalties, some of you think he should stand up for team mates and sit for 5 minutes or more. When he has taken the most draws in the NHL when Beagle and Sutter were out, which also extends his hard minutes since he can't just take a draw and then go off some times, some of you expect him to take runs and hit all that's in sight. Then you go further and question his drive and passion for the team and winning.  Give me a frigging break.

Bo is our Captain.  I agree 100%. 

(Do you really live in China?   If so, that’s really nifty.  Didn’t expect Chinese people to follow our Canucks.) 

• Upvote 1

Bo is the next captain. You've heard it from the fans, the media and the players. He has shown grit and determination leading the team when the chips have been down. 2nd in points playing a more defensive role.  Taking on whatever role his team needs him to play. Staying in Vancouver when he could have taken bigger dollars elsewhere.  He has been the engine and workhorse of this team for the past few seasons.

Got to stop bringing up Kotkaniemi. Regardless of your view on the play, if there was action to be done after... who in their right mind would want Pettersson and Horvat both off the ice for any indefinite amount of time. (There's an entire thread on that play.)

Edited by pgcanuck
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, pgcanuck said:

Bo is the next captain. You've heard it from the fans, the media and the players. He has shown grit and determination leading the team when the chips have been down. 2nd in points playing a more defensive role.  Taking on whatever role his team needs him to play. Staying in Vancouver when he could have taken bigger dollars elsewhere.  He has been the engine and workhorse of this team for the past few seasons.

Got to stop bringing up Kotkaniemi. Regardless of your view on the play, if there was action to be done after... who in their right kind would want Pettersson and Horvat both off the ice for any indefinite amount of time. (There's an entire thread on that play.)

Some fans are saying there is this new kid called "Petey" who has been wowing Hockey fans from coast to coast. Is there really anything this kid CANNOT do? I doubt it . No one is saying that Bo is not Captain material we are just saying players and fans alike are following "Petey" and kind of like what he has been able to do for this team in such a short period of time. I have not seen this strong desire to win in a player since Bure and Linden used to jump over the boards.