The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A future goalie controversy

iceman64

The makings of "what could be" and yes it's hardly for sure but if things go well and Demko and Dipietro end up #1 quality and have to let one go and we end up with another Horvat quality i'd be pretty stoked! 

Ok it might be a stretch since neither have had any nhl experience and success to speak but hopefully.. you know..

Anyway hence the "future" reference, probably a few years away from that scenario but it's cool to see it's a "possibility.

Bets on who turns out the better goalie? 

We'll cross that bridge when we get there.  Both are fantastic prospects who I am more than willing to support.

I was particularly impressed with how cool a customer Mikey was around an imploding Team Canada in Vancouver.  Handled the aftermath with nothing but class as well.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We'll cross that bridge when we get there.  Both are fantastic prospects who I am more than willing to support.

I was particularly impressed with how cool a customer Mikey was around an imploding Team Canada in Vancouver.  Handled the aftermath with nothing but class as well.

Yeah they both have that quality... that's what makes it a bit better in "hoping" both turn out and we get something in return for picking and developing 2.. 

Meh it's hard to pick who's going to be better, my gut says Dip but who knows

6 hours ago, coastal.view said:

guess who is playing well ?

nilsson

Two of his four games he s*** the bed. He had great moments with us as well. I am rooting for the guy, but lets not pretend he was anywhere close to Marky's level for us. I hope he keeps playing this way for them. I'd hate to see Colorado get Hughes.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Two of his four games he s*** the bed. He had great moments with us as well. I am rooting for the guy, but lets not pretend he was anywhere close to Marky's level for us. I hope he keeps playing this way for them. I'd hate to see Colorado get Hughes.

Bingo.  I hope Ottawa does the impossible and gets into the playoffs just to screw Colorado. 

History finds a way to repeat itself.

Thatcher Demko:

- American born goalie, graduating out of Boston College

Michael DiPietro:

- Canadian born goalie, coming from a family of Italian Heritage

Both goalies are eyeing the #1 job in net for Vancouver. Eventually we will have to make a decision on who is the one we go forward with. That decision won't be made until atleast 4-5 years down the road but it will be interesting to see what will happen this time around.

6 hours ago, MJDDawg said:

Botch???  Is that you??

I doubt it.  B-otch is a nancy and an elite wanker.

The OP is saying something positive - and asking who we think will be the better goaltender.   If premature, far too thoughtful for Botch nevertheless.

I hope it’s sooner than expected, and Markstrom bounces back, and that Demko is lights out from the hop. 

Just for some perspective around signings and some of the goalies that are out there but never get a chance, DeSmith who could have become a free agent this summer, opted to sign a 1.25 million contract for three years with the Pens.  Sure they are a way better team, but his SP is .924 on a defense that’s not much better than our own, and already has three shutouts in 40 games (how many does Markstrom have and in how many games, and how many did he play again before he finally managed to steal one/get his Zero?).  

Murray came back and is feeling the heat given how good he’s played after struggling at times before his injury.  

The point is there are only a very limited amount of roster spots for these guys and those with the high pedigree tend to get way more slack than those that might come in, play lights out and then sent back to the minors despite only letting a few in.   Goaltending for us has been and issue since Miller, maybe even Luongo given Millers injuries and the fact he wasn’t Vezina Miller anymore.  

Markstrom has played himself into a placeholder despite all the slack he’s been given, this year he’s shown more promise than others especially recently, I just can’t wait until we’ve got someone again that can play at a different level.   We won’t know if we have that in the system already for a while but it does look encouraging.   Wonder if Demko will be given as much rope...something tells me he will, for better or worse.

As for the OP my hope Demko will steal the crease, we can trade Markstrom for whatever and in a few years it happens agains, even though Demko plays pretty good.

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:05 AM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Just don't have them sign bad contracts :lol:

1a8391bbe640040b30836f8d742e39813b8a8226

Please people...we need to stop calling Bobby Lu's contract BAD...it was not a bad contract...in fact it was so GOOD (and hence deemed an unfair competitive advantage) that the league had to step in and stop those types of contracts as they were unfair to other owners who didn't have the financial means to front load a contract the way they did Lu's (10+mil in year 1 at an AAV of 5.33mil). So the league stepped in, created a bunch of payout penalties which in fact turned what was a brilliantly crafted contract (to our advantage) into a water-logged contract (again, I have no idea why the Canucks never challenged those penalties in court but I guess if you want to be part of the "old boys club" then you need to just shut up and take your lumps).

At first I used to think that the (media induced) "goalie controversy" in Vancouver was created when the Canucks signed that long-term contract. Again, nothing screams future goalie controversy quite like drafting a future superstar stud like Schneids, ask him to continue to pay his dues in the minors (where he pretty much dominated) and then instead of signing HIM to a long term contract with a crossover with Bobby Lu as starter, they go and sign the older guy to 12 year contract effectively saying to Cory "thanks, but it looks like we'll be sticking with Lu". As I look at it now the intention all along may well have been to keep both going long-term (because the contract was front-loaded Lu would eventually fade to backup duty where Aquaman is only paying him a mil or 2 in real salary). Cory would have been the guy front and centre on a similar front loaded contract...but alas...that plan (if it was the plan) went away due to the new contract penalties.

Regardless...it netted us our future captain and stop-gap goalie (Markstrom) until the next 2 are ready to go...and has actually pushed us into rebuild mode (which isn't necessarily a bad thing every once in a while) which has netted us Pettersson, Boeser, Virtanen, Juolevi and Hughes...so...there's that...

Oh...and one more note about goalies...they're flaky and streaky. I remember how odd they were especially when coaching junior aged goalies (17-19 year olds)...weird pack of dudes (the 3 of them hung out together, and apart from the rest of the team...just odd young men).

So, it becomes difficult to commit your team to any one goalie for too long and for too much. The Canucks over the past 2 seasons committed to the 2 goalie system, but one of them flaked out. Even before the current (recent) tandem we had the Luongo / Lack controversy...Lack looked like the guy, well, where is he now? And how about that situation in Pittsburgh, or Philly, or Price in MTL (up and down the past couple of seasons) or even Boston (Rask is just getting back to his old self).

NHL goaltender is the toughest spot in pro-sports (possibly rivaled only by a starting pitcher in MLB but even then a manager can see quite early on if something ain't right and can go to his large by comparison bullpen...in hockey there's only one other guy in the bullpen and usually coaches wait until a game is gone before making the change). As such, the tenders are a different breed, cool as cucumbers, steady nerves even to the point of appearing aloof at times. So here's the thing...where a position like that calls for so much mental preparedness and steadiness to be successful why would any GM sign any goalie to a contract longer than a 2-4 years...ever? Too much can change in a young adult's life (marriage, children, investments, agencies, trades etc etc etc) that would parlay into the type of environment that would allow a mid-20's goaltender to be stable enough to perform the same now as he would 5 years from now...or worse (like Price etc) 8 years in the future!

Many debates are sparked about what it takes to win the Cup...and most of them make some mention of what is going on in the pipes. Few teams have hoisted the Grail without having some stability in net, but that stability will come in whatever form or timing is just right at the moment (imagine we sneak into the playoffs and Marky has a run like he just had in December...we'd be in the WCF!). Look at some past winners and look at where their goaltending was in the BIG picture...Crawford has been up and down (but he was UP at the right time to win it all), Rask (same), Quick (has been fairly steady, possibly the steadiest of the bunch) but even he has had stretches of meltdowns, does Pittsburgh win if not for Murray stepping up when Fleury went down? What if Murray sucked since he was just a backup? And how about now...would you dump Murray and go with DeSmith? Too early to say, DeSmith could flake out too. How about the contracts signed by Condon and Hammond...remember when the Hamburglar was the greatest goalie to come along in the playoffs? Anyways...many examples. Just too flaky a position to commit too long term (need I mention the "other" DePietro? Please tell me they're not related...we don't need THAT disaster following us around for the next million years).

Archived