The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Silver Linings If You Want to See Them

Warhippy

Let me preface this by saying first and foremost up until as recently as December I was and still kind of am on team do bad this year.  I've been loud and long winded about my belief that this should be the last year we draft highly before truly starting to make consistent pushes for the playoffs.  That being said

The play of Pettersson and Markstrom have essentially propelled this team in to playoff contention.  Not cup threats but they look like a playoff team more often than not.  I don't think anyone expected Markstrom to play like he has this consistently.  He's shown flashes but not for this long.  It's bloody impressive and he's kept us in some serious games we've not had the right to be in with some stellar netminding.

Petterson, little known fact but last I checked Petterson was directly the cause of or involved with 13 game winning goals.  Assists, playmaking or the ultimate game winning goal scorer. Without him this team is essentially 13 to 26 points back from where we are now in some sense.  Obviously someone else may have or could have stepped in and some of those games have been won by 2 goals or more.  But he's the direct cause or reason why we've won 13 games.

Now, the bad

Edler, that brutal impact makes me feel like if he has no broken bones right now the guy is still out for 2 weeks or more with concussion issues.  That was cringe worthy really, like watching Kelly hit the ice on Long Island way back when.  We are without our leading defenceman who was having a renaissance year.  Be it two weeks or 2 months his loss won't be made up easily if at all.

Baertschi.  A top 6 scorer.  We're without him as well for who knows how long.  We obviously managed to do ok without him but...scoring outside of Pettersson/Boeser hasn't really been exactly plentiful.

Demko, well...not sure exactly what the story is but he was out, DiPietro got called up.  As of writing this I am unsure if he is a long term callup or if Demko will be ready soon.

This team is as close to 14th in the west as it is to 7th.  3 points either way.  With a -12 goal differential it could go either way

Here is the silver lining part

This team with it's current injuries essentially ties Benning's hands for trades.  Adding is pretty much unlikely as it would cost to much of the depth he's worked to collect, the draft is in our barn so we won't be giving up picks that mean much and aside from a 1-1 hockey trade (sutter) I'd imagine he's willing to let it ride (check back in 3 weeks) with what this team has on the roster.

I fully anticipate with this current stretch of games missing our backup, missing our #1 D, missing a top 6 scoring threat that we will slide in the standings.  Which is a shame as this team was really heating up.  But another top 10 pick will not be the worst possible thing will it?  There's some gems in that top 10 this year to garner.

The best thing about this though is the call ups.  Whether they get to play or not.  DiPietro coming up with Brisebois is a blessing in disguise.  It forces the team to check what and who they have in the wings and gives the kids a real shot at getting a taste of the NHL, practicing with the big club and learning how tough the game at the pro level really is.  Sautner, McEneny, McEwan all still call up possibilities too

All in all as bad as things seem, this is the first time in a long time there is no pressure on the team to succeed.  There is no downside to losing either.  This team is currently in the best possible position it could be in for both development and overall season success.  They've already wildly overachieved and could still slip in to the post season.

So all in all, it really isn't that bad is it?

TLDR;  Wining or losing is no big issue, no pressure on the team to do either.  Losing Edler/Demko/Baertschi means no kne jerk trades, call ups get a chance to play or practice with big club, likelihood of top 10 pick is far greater.  Team is in best position in essentially forever (or 2009/2010)

Thanks for posting Warhippy. I had to smile seeing DiPietro on the Canucks bench last night, wide-eyed and smiling, taking it all in. What an experience for him.

It will be nice to maybe see some of the prospects play, if they play. Baertschi's hardly played this year, so team success has little to do with him. They will miss Edler though. I hope they give Brisebois, Sautner, McEneny and Chatfield an opportunity instead of continuously going to Biega. I like Beiga, but he's not in the future plans. Get the kids in, see what they've got.

I'm utterly content to see the team stay the course and let the chips fall where they may when it comes to the playoffs. It's good to have the Canucks playing for something this late in the season for the first time in 4 years.

Also, no matter what happens, at least we ain't Edmonton!

I would agree with the original poster.

And I am leaning slightly towards "...its better to miss the playoffs." too.

Team is not built defensively to go anywhere in the playoffs... and the offense is too inexperienced.

Baertschi is a big loss...  Typical Canuck-luck... he would have been a 20 goal scorer for the team this year and 40-50 pts except for the dirty hit on him.

Edler missing is also a huge hole... more Canuck luck... where else have you seen someone's stick get caught in another guys skate and the guy with the skate is not the one to go down?  Combination of Edler being off balance and him not expecting it.  I too think he will be out 2-3 weeks.... critical for the team's play.

My perspective is:  "Its all good".  Team is getting experience, they are playing hard, they are in the games.

Hopefully next year we will see an improvement from all the rookies and the addition of some more pieces on D.  (really believe Benning needs to bring back Tryamkin to complement Hughes)

There has been a lot of positive developments this year, so I am not complaining.

And the fact that Boeser is not having an outstanding year means he will be less expensive to sign.

I agree with a lot that OP states.

lots of hone games towards season’s end will play to our advantage.

if we pull Q Hughes in next month, our power play becomes more deadly.

My guess with Edler is he’ll be back sooner than later. I call next week. He’s a tough cookie, and not prone to concussions so I think he’ll come back relatively quick. 

Sven Baertschi seems like he could use the rest of the season off to get his mind and body back on track. Reminds me of when Malkin concussed Willie Mitchell and it took rest of the year to get him straightened out.

I’m optimistic and still calling playoffs. The biggest threat is St Louis Blues.

This team desperately needs top six wingers.  Hopefully that will sort itself out sooner rather than later via development of existing players (Lind/Dahlen/Jasek et al), draft picks to come or trades/UFA. I think this team is 2 - 3 years away from making any serious noise but I am liking the progress to this point overall.

This would have been the perfect time to give Juolevi a look with Edler down. Very unfortunate that he's out for the season. That would have been the best silver lining for me.

But still no matter how the season ends I think Canucks fans definitely have a bunch of positives to look at. The future may not be as far off as we once thought.

I'd rather see this team fade down the stretch,  than ride the bubble, be tempted to buy at the deadline, and either squeek in or just miss.  Its is not what we need.  The chase has up until now been good for the young guys, and we can be thankful for what the team has shown us so far.

We are what, 55 games out from the Sedin era?  That's 55 games into the real rebuild.

We need another year, at least, of high picks, highly focussed on scoring wingers and depth D.

Good post and perspective @Warhippy.

Yes, where did Markstrom come from? Well, at one time he was a top G prospect, and this was his destiny. Nice to see he, and the Canucks, stuck with it. Awesome!  

After years debating against the tank. I settled into, gulp, realising it was an important part of the cycle last season. Is it odd that I came into this year wanting to trade Edler?

And good also on Alex. He has been playing lights out as well. Good last year. But the best in 5 or 6 years so far this year. No he was not propped up by the Twins. He is an awesome defenseman! I'm now geared to wanting him to be a career Canuck.  I hope you heal well Eddie!

I never gave myself the negativity of saying we would not be this good this year. I wrote a piece pre-season, when articles questioned what would be the source of scoring without the Twins? That said our team speed would be much faster. And that our puck pressure would be much better. we would be more competitive. Which has served true. Plus added Pettersson. But I also admit, readily, I only expected to be in the play off race if everything went well, we remained healthy.

We have not been perfectly healthy. And we're still better than advertised.

I love it!

And still agree with your sentiment. I am also glad perhaps a hiccup, Edlers injury is not silver, might keep management from over reacting. Going into buying mode would do a lot of damage. 

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

I'd rather see this team fade down the stretch, and not be tempted to buy at the deadline.

We are what, 55 games out from the Sedin era?  That's 55 games into the real rebuild.

We need another year, at least, of high picks, highly focussed on scoring wingers and depth D.

Centers and number 1 D-men are the hardest to draft.

I would say we're looking pretty good with Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette, and Madden down the middle. Add Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, and Tryamkin and we've got the foundation.

For me draft position has become much less important, it's more about developing the guys we have into winners. Scoring wingers and depth D-men can be found in all rounds of the draft. 

If these young players we have can lead this team into the playoffs, it would be an amazing learning experience for them.

I think the silver lining for me is for the Canucks NOT to bottom out.  The players deserve to go out on a high note and fight for a playoff spot right to the end.  Go into the off season with a bit of a carrot to train for.   The deficiencies of this team need to be handled in the off season.  Im not too worried about where the canucks pick this year as itll likely be a long term pick anyways. 

Quinn Hughes stepping in and being an impact player right away actually might be a damn nice silver lining tho

Many people have said and I have agreed with that if the canucks just miss the playoffs their draft pick is only going to be marginally worse than if they do make the playoffs so they might as well make it add some excitement and experience.

but another silver lining is 

second last place in the west is 3 points back of us.  Therefor if we do start falling back we actually can still get a very good draft pick.  Bowen Byram would be sweet or get lucky and grab a top 2 spot. 

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I think the silver lining for me is for the Canucks NOT to bottom out.  The players deserve to go out on a high note and fight for a playoff spot right to the end.  Go into the off season with a bit of a carrot to train for.   The deficiencies of this team need to be handled in the off season.  Im not too worried about where the canucks pick this year as itll likely be a long term pick anyways. 

Quinn Hughes stepping in and being an impact player right away actually might be a damn nice silver lining tho

Hey Silly Goose

Not to be Chicken Little here......but I have a few questions, because of your remarks...……..

First of.....Pettersson was the best player in the SHL last year, and came over here and basically dazzled everyone here. He caught everyone of guard, and had a great first half. but now that the league knows who he is, and the second half of the season is tightening up before the playoffs, do you not feel he needs another top winger, who is a driver as well? I am not sure you will find that in the 15/16 ish OA spot. What are your thoughts on that? How do you get that guy?

Secondly, and I sure hope your right, but what if Hughes comes in and isn't what you think he will be? What if it takes a year or 2?

I think there is a lot more work to do before we are a contender, and I am having a hard time seeing exactly what you see...……….you seem to be thinking best case scenario??

Archived