The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Sam Gagner to Oilers for Ryan Spooner

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

This post from the Canucks Army comments section gave me a laugh:

“what i dont get is the oilers WAIVED him before.If the canucks WANTED him they could have got him off WAIVERS instead of TRADING an asset for him. You can’t tell me they had to trade Gagner for him they literally could have had him a month ago off waivers”

I can’t believe there’s anyone who doesn’t think that this trade is a far better deal than a waiver claim. We moved Gagner’s contract. That’s value added. And we acquired Spooner with waiver exemption (from him clearing previously). Value added again.

A waiver claim would’ve meant that we’d be stuck with Spooner on the NHL roster, and would have to waive him to assign him to Utica. And we’d still be paying Gagner to play for the Marlies. :picard:

Oilers could have had Gagner too when he went on waivers.  Canucks Army is so worried about "value added" yet they don't see the value in someone that has cleared waivers?

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As others have stated, I'm thinking that there will be an announcement soon that Baertschi is done. Truly sad if true. 

Yeah, I had that feeling as soon as he went down again. That's a lot of concussions.... and he just started a family.... Life is to be considered at this point.

12 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Spooner was straight up terrible in Edmonton this year. I think I would have been happier with a pick for Gagner

...  how about, Edmonton was straight up terrible this year,   And Spooner is looking for a real “home”.. not an oil patch.

... maybe this becomes the next “ J Leivo story of sorts.

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

“what i dont get is the oilers WAIVED him before.If the canucks WANTED him they could have got him off WAIVERS instead of TRADING an asset for him. You can’t tell me they had to trade Gagner for him they literally could have had him a month ago off waivers”

I can’t believe there’s anyone who doesn’t think that this trade is a far better deal than a waiver claim. We moved Gagner’s contract. That’s value added. And we acquired Spooner with waiver exemption (from him clearing previously). Value added again.

A waiver claim would’ve meant that we’d be stuck with Spooner on the NHL roster, and would have to waive him to assign him to Utica. And we’d still be paying Gagner to play for the Marlies. :picard:

Waiver stuff doesn't matter he was guaranteed a roster spot as soon as he was traded for.

What is Benning thinking? Next year's roster is almost set for forwards under multimillion dollar contracts now.

Benning's past lack of deals because he didn't think the value of the return was better than nothing, (good rep, settle for nothing rather than something) with all these overpaid long term clause contract 30 yr olds who wants to trade for them when as is demonstrated here an undrafted AHL player is superior to most of those vets?

15 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Spooner was straight up terrible in Edmonton this year. I think I would have been happier with a pick for Gagner

I think I would have been happier if my wife allowed me to have a 3 way with her and Katy Perry but sadly that wasn't on the table either.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Mac is my guess.  Utica was in a groove and I think they don't want to disrupt them more than they have to.

Virtanen had a MRI on Thursday but there was no further information other than he had an upper body injury.

Just now, TheGuardian_ said:

Waiver stuff doesn't matter he was guaranteed a roster spot as soon as he was traded for.

What is Benning thinking? Next year's roster is almost set for forwards under multimillion dollar contracts now.

Benning's past lack of deals because he didn't think the value of the return was better than nothing, (good rep, settle for nothing rather than something) with all these overpaid long term clause contract 30 yr olds who wants to trade for them when as is demonstrated here an undrafted AHL player is superior to most of those vets?

How was he guaranteed a spot?

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Umm Spooner is 27 and only has one year left on his 4M / year contract after this season 

4 minutes ago, fecklund said:

Yeah, I had that feeling as soon as he went down again. That's a lot of concussions.... and he just started a family.... Life is to be considered at this point.

I hope not for his sake, but if it's true, being happy and healthy for his wife and son is the most important. 

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well - that is Canucksmarmy - they have a default whine mode and prioritize whinging about Benning over thinking reasonably.

Thinking we "gave up an asset" here is a pretty good example of how incapable they are of assessing literally anything he does.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

you mean just like gagner was guaranteed a roster spot in Vancouver?

Havent you learned that JB isnt afraid to move these guys.  Look at what happened to DelZotto and Gagner. 

13 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

But 40+ points the 3 seasons before. Likely the problem was playing on an AHL team. 

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The issue wasn't Spooner, but the other proper noun in your first sentence. 

11 minutes ago, fecklund said:

Edmonton is where good players go to die. This has been the case for almost 127 years.
It seems only Drizzlittle and McDumplin    are immune to this bewildering ailment.

Spooner was a solid 2nd line or high 3rd line player before he got dumped there. 
As I said earlier, Spooner is the AHL version of Reid Boucher. In the right situation, he is a capable 40 point player. 

4 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, but on the other hand, they got $3.1M off the books

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

...  how about, Edmonton was straight up terrible this year,   And Spooner is looking for a real “home”.. not an oil patch.

... maybe this becomes the next “ J Leivo story of sorts.

My point is, If Spooner couldn't crack the lineup in that dumpster fire I don't see him having a positive impact here and I'd rather see our young guys play. I'll be happy if he proves me wrong but this smells like Jokinen 2.0 

Jim Benning is knows Sam Gagner is washed up .  Sam will do more harm than good in Edmonton. By making this move Benning give false hope to a desperate team .  Actually creates more problems in Edmonton.  While JB  knows Spooner is garbage,  he won't stay in the line up long.   Imagine trading a garbage can with your neighbour.  Your neighbour will actually put the garabage can in the living room. While you know the garbage can belongs in the garage.  Very nicely done . JIM Benning.

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Typical Guardian overreaction. 

Archived