The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 2/24/2022 at 8:47 AM, Boudrias said:

What value Schenn? He has played a lot of minutes this year as a top four D-man. He has to be moved for the right price.

I can't imagine we'd get much more than a 3rd for him though, if that. And for that return, we're likely better off keeping him as solid, cheap RD depth for next year and potentially getting a similar return at next TDL.

I mean if someone offers up their first or he's the difference in getting Schneider over Lundkvist out of the Rangers or something, sure. But otherwise he likely has more value to us, than in trade.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, aGENT said:

I can't imagine we'd get much more than a 3rd for him though, if that. And for that return, we're likely better off keeping him as solid, cheap RD depth for next year and potentially getting a similar return at next TDL.

I mean if someone offers up their first or he's the difference in getting Schneider over Lundkvist out of the Rangers or something, sure. But otherwise he likely has more value to us, than in trade.

Luke Schenn has been one of the biggest surprises for me this season. Consistent, a physical force, moved up to top 4 pairing for much of the season, and a positive vet for the younger players. So I agree that moving him for a 3rd doesn't make sense with his contract cost so low. That said I can see him as a part of a possible multi player deal. Adding him might tip the scales to complete a deal.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Luke Schenn has been one of the biggest surprises for me this season. Consistent, a physical force, moved up to top 4 pairing for much of the season, and a positive vet for the younger players. So I agree that moving him for a 3rd doesn't make sense with his contract cost so low. That said I can see him as a part of a possible multi player deal. Adding him might tip the scales to complete a deal.

Schenn has way more value to the team than he would in a trade. With one year remaining on a cheap contract and for what he brings to our lineup it would be dumb to let him go without a great return. 

I think we keep him this deadline then trade him at the next deadline if we are out of a playoff spot. If we got a 2nd + 3rd round pick or a really good prospect it would be hard to turn down a deal like that but I don't think he is worth moving for a 3rd or even a 2nd alone. 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Schenn has way more value to the team than he would in a trade. With one year remaining on a cheap contract and for what he brings to our lineup it would be dumb to let him go without a great return. 

I think we keep him this deadline then trade him at the next deadline if we are out of a playoff spot. If we got a 2nd + 3rd round pick or a really good prospect it would be hard to turn down a deal like that but I don't think he is worth moving for a 3rd or even a 2nd alone. 

Absolutely!  Schenn is playing like he was in his 20's again.  He fills a specific role on this team and is

well respected by his teammates.  I think he loves playing in Vancouver.

No to a trade, unless it's a necessary addition to a bigger deal.

16 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Absolutely!  Schenn is playing like he was in his 20's again.  He fills a specific role on this team and is

well respected by his teammates.  I think he loves playing in Vancouver.

No to a trade, unless it's a necessary addition to a bigger deal.

Agreed - like if he is included in a Miller deal to replace a younger dman coming back to balance out salaries. For example, Brandon Carlo coming back from Boston if we went more of the "hockey trade" route. 

The only way I trade Schenn straight up is for a first, which no one is going to do, I think his value to the team is higher then a 2nd and for sure more then a 3rd.  Like others have said the only way I see LS getting traded is in part of a multy player deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thrago said:

The only way I trade Schenn straight up is for a first, which no one is going to do, I think his value to the team is higher then a 2nd and for sure more then a 3rd.  Like others have said the only way I see LS getting traded is in part of a multy player deal.

I agree. His value to this team is more than we'd get for him in a trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

And we have him signed for next year too,  don't we?  The guy is really good with Hughes, so we are getting great hockey (5 on 5) from a pair that costs less than 8 on the cap.  Hughes is playing over 25/game and dominating.  Schenn is out there with Huges for all those 5 on 5 minutes.  That's a very important player. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Whether Schenn is moved or not depends on the offer and who will be on the d-core next fall. I can see him being moved, hopefully for a 2nd rdr. He has done a fantastic job for Van this year putting significant top 4 TOI in. But do you keep Schenn when you have a Juulson re-establishing his career ? I don’t think so.

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Whether Schenn is moved or not depends on the offer and who will be on the d-core next fall. I can see him being moved, hopefully for a 2nd rdr. He has done a fantastic job for Van this year putting significant top 4 TOI in. But do you keep Schenn when you have a Juulson re-establishing his career ? I don’t think so.

Here's the thing. I don't think a team would give up a 2nd for Schenn, not do I think Juulsen will ever impact the game the way Schenn does for us right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Schenn is tough as hell to play against.  Is Juulson?

• Cheers 1

Just now, 73 Percent said:

Here's the thing. I don't think a team would give up a 2nd for Schenn, not do I think Juulsen will ever impact the game the way Schenn does for us right now.

You are probably right. I’m certainly not arguing against what he has done for Van on multiple levels. He brings a solid vet presence that the team desperately needed. My point is that he has to be a 3rd pairing guy and that Juulson is showing much promise. There is no hurry on moving Schenn other than his max value would be the TDL. That’s why I suggested a 2nd rdr which would be my bottom line. I am high on Juulson and my hopes lie with a long Calder run with him running the backend. If he does well I think he makes Van in the fall.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Schenn is tough as hell to play against.  Is Juulson?

He made some nice hits in his Van games Alf. He is not a complete player yet but shows real promise. His timeline compliments the Canucks more so than Schenn. That is not a put down of Schenn in anyway.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

He made some nice hits in his Van games Alf. He is not a complete player yet but shows real promise. His timeline compliments the Canucks more so than Schenn. That is not a put down of Schenn in anyway.

Its crazy to me how difficult it is for other players to fill this role, forcing us to value Schenn the way we do.

Be defensively sound

Clear the crease

Hit someone once in a while

Stand up for your teammates

There's no reason a player like Woo or Juulsen can't do this. But they just don't and I don't understand why.

• Cheers 1