The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Schenn has been a Canuck savior this season. His going after Lowry last night tells all you need to know about Luke Schenn. Canucks haven't had his equal for years. Gubranson tried but he wasn't there. 

Gubby and Schenner are almost identical

top 5 picks 

7th team

failed to score at the rate their draft slot would suggest, however both were 1/2 ppg players in their draft year

late bloomers

belong on the 3rd pairing but expected to play higher because of draft spot

over 220

tough as nails

struggled to live up to their hype

Gubby is also having a career year

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, lmm said:

top 5 picks 

7th team

failed to score at the rate their draft slot would suggest, however both were 1/2 ppg players in their draft year

late bloomers

belong on the 3rd pairing but expected to play higher because of draft spot

over 220

tough as nails

struggled to live up to their hype

Gubby is also having a career year

Sutter seems to have a good handle on Gubrannson abilities. He has stabilized his play in a major way. Many nights he is up to 20 minutes. 

• Huggy Bear 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Sutter seems to have a good handle on Gubrannson abilities. He has stabilized his play in a major way. Many nights he is up to 20 minutes. 

Kind of makes sense 

Sutter likes that kind of player

Willie and Green don't

all you really need to know about WIllie D was how he treated Tom Sestito

If there was a time for Stan Smyl to speak up, it was then, as things only got worse after that

With Green , Schenn couldn't get in the line up until every other option was injured

The Sedins never got along with tough players, which is why I question their value as voices in management

I think during the latter Sedin era much to much emphasis was placed on the Grouse Grind and not the NHL grind

I was not a fan of the OEL trade, but I did think it would look better early in his tenure, and it has

the main thing I see OEL bring that most of Old Jim's D-men didn't is the ability to make his partner better

Myers has looked good this year because OEL brings stability to the pairing

Gudbanson played with Benny The Hutt and was expected to carry that pairing

Gudbranson came from Florida, where he was paired with Willie Mitchell and Brian Campbell

Now I am not watching Calgary this season, until we play them, So I don't know who Gubber plays with

but at 32 Luke Schenn is carrying the 3rd pairing, but not asked to carry Hughes when they play together

edit

Oh Hey we play Calgary tonight

I guess I'll get to see Ol Gubby play

Edited by lmm
  • Vintage 2

On 1/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, lmm said:

Minus the fact that Guddy makes double (and prior to this year, used to make 4.5 times the amount), never hit as much as Schenn does, and while he's having a better season than usual, consistently kills anything that looks like a team cycle.

But yeah - other than that, pretty identical.

Edited by kloubek
  • Haha 1

Both gudbranson and schenn are prime examples of players who came along at the wrong time. Put either player in the league during the 90’s or early 2000’s when physicality was still a huge part of the game and they would have been top 4 d for their whole careers. I definitely have a soft spot for the throwback old school style defencemen who stick up for their teammates, love seeing the schenndozer playing so well as of late.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

On 12/1/2021 at 11:50 PM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

This is where someone would usually make a comment about small sample size...but not me though....I'm not like that!:lol:

But seriously, it looks to me like Schenn may have actually benefitted from being sent down to Tampa to work on his skills for those couple of years!!

Schenn has benefited from having a good NHL head coach.  I question he’d look nearly as good under Green (though you could say the same about a lot of players on the team).

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Schenn is the unsung hero of the season.

Yup. Honestly i would not trade Schenn for anything else than a 1st or 2nd round pick. Its over payment yes, but a team would have to blow us away to get Schenn out of our hands, not that 5th- 6th round crap. Schenn for what he's getting paid has pretty much exceeded his pay grade, AND he's under contract for another season. You don't trade Schenn for flexibility, if anything, hes the part of the season for cap flexibility

Edited by filthycanuck
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, kloubek said:

Minus the fact that Guddy makes double (and prior to this year, used to make 4.5 times the amount), never hit as much as Schenn does, and while he's having a better season than usual, consistently kills anything that looks like a team cycle.

But yeah - other than that, pretty identical.

Theres an arguement to be made that if you put factor in salary, statistics, availabiltiy, theres a strong case that Gudbranson is probably the worst player to wear a Canuck uniform in the last 20 years

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Theres an arguement to be made that if you put factor in salary, statistics, availabiltiy, theres a strong case that Gudbranson is probably the worst player to wear a Canuck uniform in the last 20 years

Oh, he was absolutely awful. The way he played for us, he was a 7th d kinda guy. At his salary was beyond unacceptable.

I'm WAY happier with Schenn. On a good team, he too is probably a 7th dman but on ours, he's been one of our most consistent defensemen and nobody can complain about that salary. I know he might have some value moving to a contender, but I'd rather the team play out his 2nd year instead. 

On 2/1/2022 at 3:31 PM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Schenn has benefited from having a good NHL head coach.  I question he’d look nearly as good under Green (though you could say the same about a lot of players on the team).

Brad Shaw has taken over coaching the Dmen, so its made a difference. He's basically undoing the mess Baumer made.

Another reason Schenn is doing good might be just simply chemistry. There is something about the way Schenn plays that just meshes with Hughes. A top end D-man doesn't necessarily need another top end guy to be successful. Brian Leetch's best years were paired with amongst all the other guys, Jeff Beukaboom who is basically a Dana Murzyn, Gerald Diduck in Canuck terms. Im not sure why our dolt of a GM let go of Schenn in the first place considering how well he played here his first go around.

• Cheers 1

Unsung hero for me this season. He's played physical, he's thrown hits but more importantly he hasn't been caught slow-footed, has made some good passes up the ice and of course done all the good things you'd expect from a physical defenceman defensively. Crazy to think we have him on such a cheap contract and he's basically playing in our top-4 alongside our best defenceman in Hughes.

The fact that Schenn is arguably our 3rd best defenceman and Tampa's 7th guy speaks volumes of our lack of depth, but then you have to commend Schenn's play this year because he's been brilliant and much better than he was his last stint here. He is essentially playing Hamonic's role and doing a great job of it when no one expected him to.

I expect he'll continue the same next season, he's basically a poor-man's Tanev, but we're going to need to replace him soon with some quality and we have no one in the pipelines to do so.

• Cheers 1

Luke is playing the most he has (TOI per game) since his one-season stop in Arizona in 2016-2017. And he's earning it too: Highest hits/60 since that same 2016-2017 season and the most offensive production since his last year in Toronto (2011-2012). He is also boasting an on-ice save % of .935! Which can be read as he's very lucky, or you could say he's making life easy for his goaltender. It's a little of both, but more of the latter imo

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1