The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Imagine what Hughes would be doing if we kept Tanev for his partner?  It’s crazy we don’t have a good partner for Hughes.  If we get a proper partner for Hughes, could Schenn slot in beside OEL?

I wish the Tanman was still with the Canucks but that's history. I admired Tanev's guts but didn't like his injury history which came with his style of shot blocking. As a 2nd pairing in Calgary it did better. I suspect his position slides to a 3rd pairing fairly quickly. I certainly wouldn't want him as a top pairing dman. 

I hold out hope that Alviin and JR can get that younger RD to partner with Hughes as a pairing that takes us to CUP play. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Imagine what Hughes would be doing if we kept Tanev for his partner?  It’s crazy we don’t have a good partner for Hughes.  If we get a proper partner for Hughes, could Schenn slot in beside OEL?

This would have been the easy fix, ironic how we're now basically looking for a young Tanev when we had one right there and pissed him away. Hughes could have certainly scored more, maybe 75-80 points, and his +/- would have been much better. More importantly, the team would have been much stronger. I think Schenn would have been buried on the 3rd pairing though and OEL-Myers would have remained, but boy that would have been some good depth and we didn't have to pay much, just 4M for Tanev.

I understand letting Marky walk, he had to go with Demko coming in, but we had no replacement in the system (and didn't go out and get one) for Tanev and have suffered big time for it.

On 6/29/2022 at 6:31 AM, Alflives said:

One of the best things having Schenn partner with Hughes is, no one messes with him. That's worth a LOT.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I hope we find a new top 4 RHD for Quinn this season and move Schenn onto the 3rd pair and put him with Rathbone. 

He was great with Hughes and I think could be a great mentor/partner again for our next young offensively minded D. 

(OEL with Schenn is an interesting idea also, but still might be a bit much for him)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2022 at 10:14 AM, BarnBurner said:

One of the best things having Schenn partner with Hughes is, no one messes with him. That's worth a LOT.

Yes look what he diid when Jamis Benn hit Hughes? Team toughness, leadership Schenn is great..

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

While so many get up tight about other D'menno one givesa lot of love for Schenn. Who knows maybe Dakota Johnson will add some feisty attitude to the team

Oh yes Dakota Joshua 6'2, 205 he will be crashing D men on the forecheck with decent speed..Dakota will drop the gloves and he can handle himself.. Need toughness and grit like Dakota on the 4th line..

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

+4 on a pretty piss poor defensive team while playing 17 minutes a game as our #4. I know +/- isn't a perfect stat, but he does stick out in a good way.

How much will it cost to extend Schenn?  Be nice to keep him as the guy to play with Rathbone, if we can find a partner for Hughes.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How much will it cost to extend Schenn?  Be nice to keep him as the guy to play with Rathbone, if we can find a partner for Hughes.

Not sure. At his age, I would think he'll still be less than $2M, but I would expect a raise to at least $1M, maybe closer to $1.5M.

• Thanks 1