The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

On 1/28/2022 at 5:35 PM, lmm said:

Gubby and Schenner are almost identical

top 5 picks 

7th team

failed to score at the rate their draft slot would suggest, however both were 1/2 ppg players in their draft year

late bloomers

belong on the 3rd pairing but expected to play higher because of draft spot

over 220

tough as nails

struggled to live up to their hype

Gubby is also having a career year

Notice how opposing players look up from the scrum then go away quickly when they see Schenn? 

We need one more like that. 

A big rhd

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Notice how opposing players look up from the scrum then go away quickly when they see Schenn? 

A big rhd

Yeah I notice that all the time, Schenn arrives in the scrum and every one has a re think :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

A big rhd

You can’t weigh the worth of that…but it pure gold to me. Where would we be without him this year…he is our only guy out there that can add some push back in that department. I hope he plays his contract out here and if he’s still useful sign him to 1 year deals going forward till he’s done. He calls BC his off-season home, so I bet he’s willing to do it as long as his game holds up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah I notice that all the time, Schenn arrives in the scrum and every one has a re think :lol:

People talk  about push back, which Schenn can and will do.

the great thing about him is he will do it every shift, there is no question, 'will Schenn be in the mood to push back today?' 

he will every day.

but what I like about him is that he hits without provocation

Its not, ' you hit my guy, so lets go', it might be but not only that

its, 'there's a hit, I'll take it, there's another, I'll take that one too' until some games he is up to 12

Greenway did it last night in Edmonton and Nashville does it

its not push back, its push

its not retaliation, is it taliation?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

People talk  about push back, which Schenn can and will do.

the great thing about him is he will do it every shift, there is no question, 'will Schenn be in the mood to push back today?' 

he will every day.

but what I like about him is that he hits without provocation

Its not, ' you hit my guy, so lets go', it might be but not only that

its, 'there's a hit, I'll take it, there's another, I'll take that one too' until some games he is up to 12

Greenway did it last night in Edmonton and Nashville does it

its not push back, its push

its not retaliation, is it taliation?

Tally-smashing

Hitting for the sake of it. 

Not thinking, not premeditated, just part of his game. 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Schenn is doing great. I wonder if he could get faster with skating coaching? 

Think that train has left, with his age... but even a his pace, there is room for him on this team.

We don't have anything close him... If he was fast, he make a heck of a lot more cash...

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I hope they find a way to just keep him for the rest of his career.

This guys a keeper

My respect for Luke Schenn went up during his first tenure with the Canucks and has grown more on the 2nd go around. Every game he steps up with his physical game but also his vet smarts that allows him to play a solid-side game. That said Van still has to move him if the offer is good enough. Where is Hamonic’s head? Schenn is a solid 3RD behind Meyers and Hamonic. But the development curve demands that this position is filled by a younger player who will develop with the team towards Cup contention in 2 years. 

Surprisingly, Schenn leads the Canucks with a +12 which is a career high for him too. Quite mad considering our team is a -8 on the year (sure that includes PPG and the player's +/- doesn't, but it's still quite noticeable).

We really should find a way to lock him up long-term because as he gets older he can bolster that bottom pairing and play either side. I'd like to see him emulate what he's doing with Hughes now with Rathbone in a year or two's time - hopefully by then we have a stud top righty to play with Quinn. In a year or two's time this would be an idea defence:

Hughes - top RHD (trade, UFA?)

OEL - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Schenn + Miller for Marner + ?

where is this Marner stuff coming from? Freidman?

I just can't see it. They've already paid Mitchie ~40 million of his contract money so they'd be walking away from all that upfront investment. I just can't see them retaining money on him after doing that, and he's not worth the cap hit. 

Yes he's a ppg player but he's softer than butter on a warm afternoon. He's a twig. 

I could see them wanting Schenn tho. 2023 2nd maybe? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

where is this Marner stuff coming from? Freidman?

I just can't see it. They've already paid Mitchie ~40 million of his contract money so they'd be walking away from all that upfront investment. I just can't see them retaining money on him after doing that, and he's not worth the cap hit. 

Yes he's a ppg player but he's softer than butter on a warm afternoon. He's a twig. 

I could see them wanting Schenn tho. 2023 2nd maybe? 

If the Loser Leafs cough up a second for Schenn Allvin has to take it, no?  (Do the Leafs have a 2022 second still?). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If the Loser Leafs cough up a second for Schenn Allvin has to take it, no?  (Do the Leafs have a 2022 second still?). 

they do, but I was thinking 2023 is supposed to be a deeper draft year. I wouldn't give up Schenn for any less, he's a great bargain. 

Edited by JM_
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Schenn + Miller for Marner + ?

I doubt it, but given Schenn provides far more value than he's paid to I wouldn't be surprised to see a team pay a good price for him

I like what he brings, but there are few players I wouldn't move for the right price 

Contenders are the teams most likely to throw around assets to push them over the edge, and there's no time they're more willing to pay a high price than closer to the deadline 

If he was a piece that helped facilitate a larger deal happen I wouldn't hesitate

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

What value Schenn? He has played a lot of minutes this year as a top four D-man. He has to be moved for the right price.

Agreed. I like what he brings but he's a luxury on a team that isn't likely to make the playoffs this season and he's got an additional year at a cheap cost. But he's likely not a long term option because of his age, whereas contenders aren't thinking long term as much as we should be right now. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1