The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luke Schenn | #2 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Somehow, this guy continues to get better. Schenn is now on pace to absolutely destroy his previous career best of 22 points. He's done it twice and in 2011-12, he did it while missing three games in just 79 games. His pace them was for 22.8 points. He is currently on pace for 27.9 points. Not only that, but he's +22 over the last two seasons.

Great for Luke. His season should bring back a better/higher draft pick. 

• There it is 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Somehow, this guy continues to get better. Schenn is now on pace to absolutely destroy his previous career best of 22 points. He's done it twice and in 2011-12, he did it while missing three games in just 79 games. His pace them was for 22.8 points. He is currently on pace for 27.9 points. Not only that, but he's +22 over the last two seasons.

It’s understandable, considering he gets 5 on 5 shifts with Hughes.  

• 3 weeks later...

From what I hear about his love for Vancouver, I think he'd take a discount on his market value.

He obviously deserves a raise, and the way he's revitalized himself in Vancouver makes me comfortable with a 3 year term if the salary was low enough. 

Let's say, 1.75mx3. And if he wishes to accept the encouragement to take a shot at the cup this year, trade him to Boston and re-sign in the offseason.

That's doubling his salary and letting him remain where he likes and has performed. If he wants to follow the money, he would no doubt fetch more elsewhere and roll the dice as to whether he would replicate these 2 years, or the few years prior.

9 hours ago, kloubek said:

From what I hear about his love for Vancouver, I think he'd take a discount on his market value.

He obviously deserves a raise, and the way he's revitalized himself in Vancouver makes me comfortable with a 3 year term if the salary was low enough. 

Let's say, 1.75mx3. And if he wishes to accept the encouragement to take a shot at the cup this year, trade him to Boston and re-sign in the offseason.

That's doubling his salary and letting him remain where he likes and has performed. If he wants to follow the money, he would no doubt fetch more elsewhere and roll the dice as to whether he would replicate these 2 years, or the few years prior.

Schenn is certainly not a $3 mil player as someone else suggested. Your number of $1.75 might be OK if 1 year. I do not see Schenn on a multi year deal. Much of our speculation is not knowing what potential returns might come back to the d-core by the TDL. Since I doubt Meyers or OEL are moved I don't even know whether resigning Schenn is worth it. Yes the intangibles are valuable but how many vets do you want? Obviously the negative on Schenn is that he is taking RD TOI. Could that be spent developing a younger player? I suspect so. 

• Cheers 1

If Schenn is actually looking for 3M on his next deal then I'm sorry but see you later. Likewise if he wants 3 years I'm not doing that for more than 1.5M AAV. 

Schenn has been a great leader, mentor, and steady presence on the blueline. However, he will be turning 34 just after next season starts and has never been the fastest skater. Plus, although I love his physicality, at some point his body is going to start showing signs of wear. If he loses a step he quickly goes from being a steady presence to being a pylon. It's certainly possible he can keep up his current level of play for another 3 years, but that's not a bet I personally want to make.

If he’s willing to do 1.5M x 3years or less by all means please bring him back. But if Schenn wants more than that please ship him off to the highest bidder.

I honestly don't think $3M is crazy for what Schenn provides. Scoring at a 29-point pace, providing decent defense and amazing leadership. Don't give him a long deal at that price, but two years wouldn't be bad. At 33 years old though, it's probably his last decent paying contract. 

I would consider letting him go due to his age and our window, but I feel like Schenn is exactly the kind of guy you need mentoring young new players.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I honestly don't think $3M is crazy for what Schenn provides. Scoring at a 29-point pace, providing decent defense and amazing leadership. Don't give him a long deal at that price, but two years wouldn't be bad. At 33 years old though, it's probably his last decent paying contract. 

I would consider letting him go due to his age and our window, but I feel like Schenn is exactly the kind of guy you need mentoring young new players.

It's a tough trade-off. Do we overpay him for his leadership qualities like we did Beagle or do we risk not having him as a mentor?

7 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

It's a tough trade-off. Do we overpay him for his leadership qualities like we did Beagle or do we risk not having him as a mentor?

I think term was also a rough one in Beagle's case. Beagle had four years at $3M back in 2018, with a slightly lower cap. He also had a modified NTC. If Schenn were signed for two years at $3M, it would be quite a bit less than Beagle's contract.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

And setting the tone for how a defense should defend in their end, when it comes to taking the body. 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Schenn is certainly not a $3 mil player as someone else suggested. Your number of $1.75 might be OK if 1 year. I do not see Schenn on a multi year deal. Much of our speculation is not knowing what potential returns might come back to the d-core by the TDL. Since I doubt Meyers or OEL are moved I don't even know whether resigning Schenn is worth it. Yes the intangibles are valuable but how many vets do you want? Obviously the negative on Schenn is that he is taking RD TOI. Could that be spent developing a younger player? I suspect so. 

I understand what you are saying, though I feel if the figure is reasonable, there is nothing wrong with having NHL-ready (and effective) players available for depth. It's kind of like when we had Alberts back in the day - though Schenn is even more effective.

Without him, we don't have many players who can lay out the hits. This team needs to get faster, sure, but it needs to get bigger too. Moving Schenn just because he isn't a standout talented guy is short-sighted. He's a great leader (especially important since Bo left) and makes a difference out there. He's also reasonably defensively responsible, and oddly manages to generate more points than Myers.

Speaking of Myers, I would be happy if we could move him for future considerations, to be honest. To me, he eats up a lot of cap for very questionable play, and doesn't hit like he should for a guy of his size. In any event, he is done after 1 more year, and it isn't like we're going to be instantly competitive next season anyway.

9 hours ago, kloubek said:

I understand what you are saying, though I feel if the figure is reasonable, there is nothing wrong with having NHL-ready (and effective) players available for depth. It's kind of like when we had Alberts back in the day - though Schenn is even more effective.

Without him, we don't have many players who can lay out the hits. This team needs to get faster, sure, but it needs to get bigger too. Moving Schenn just because he isn't a standout talented guy is short-sighted. He's a great leader (especially important since Bo left) and makes a difference out there. He's also reasonably defensively responsible, and oddly manages to generate more points than Myers.

Speaking of Myers, I would be happy if we could move him for future considerations, to be honest. To me, he eats up a lot of cap for very questionable play, and doesn't hit like he should for a guy of his size. In any event, he is done after 1 more year, and it isn't like we're going to be instantly competitive next season anyway.

Luke Schenn is a bottom pairing d-man. His contract is expiring at 33 years old. Some on here want him resigned for 3 years. Absolutely not. He has to be traded if the offer is a 2nd rdr, more reflection on a 3rd rdr. Schenn does not meet the Canuck development timeline. I am not against resigning him in the off season based on possible returns and signings to the d-core. If management acquires a young d-man or decides to bring a player up from Abby then there might not be any room for Schenn. This is not a put down what he has contributed. IMHO having 3 vets, Schenn, OAL and Meyers on a team that is rebuilding is to many. As you suggest if Meyers is moved then more room becomes available to resign Schenn. 

No one can defend the Vancouver d-side game. It is brutal. Since Toccett it has become apparent that not all this is on the defensemen. That said the current group is simply not good enough and Schenn is part of that group.    

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Luke Schenn is a bottom pairing d-man. His contract is expiring at 33 years old. Some on here want him resigned for 3 years. Absolutely not. He has to be traded if the offer is a 2nd rdr, more reflection on a 3rd rdr. Schenn does not meet the Canuck development timeline. I am not against resigning him in the off season based on possible returns and signings to the d-core. If management acquires a young d-man or decides to bring a player up from Abby then there might not be any room for Schenn. This is not a put down what he has contributed. IMHO having 3 vets, Schenn, OAL and Meyers on a team that is rebuilding is to many. As you suggest if Meyers is moved then more room becomes available to resign Schenn. 

No one can defend the Vancouver d-side game. It is brutal. Since Toccett it has become apparent that not all this is on the defensemen. That said the current group is simply not good enough and Schenn is part of that group.    

Bottom pairing d-men don't fetch 2nd or 3rd rounders unless they're a bottom pairing on a top team.

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Bottom pairing d-men don't fetch 2nd or 3rd rounders unless they're a bottom pairing on a top team.

How high the return is for Schenn depends more on the acquiring teams need and possible desperation. I can easily see a 2nd rdr coming back. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

How high the return is for Schenn depends more on the acquiring teams need and possible desperation. I can easily see a 2nd rdr coming back. 

Have to trade Schenn 33 - RD going to get slower..Need more Schenn's on a team..Plays the game the right way..

Very aggressive , always there for teammates and always plays hard...Real team guy!

Must trade him for pick or prospect at his age..Will help top 10 contender..

• Like 1