The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Erik Gudbranson to Penguins for Tanner Pearson

HerrDrFunk

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

You do know not every play is shown on the jumbotron right? Especially suspendeable plays by the home team...

How do you stomach supporting such a lack of character and backbone by making excuses for the Canucks not standing up for Petey?

Anyway, I am done with back and forth as we disagree on this completely.

I am glad Guddy is gone as he ended up being an awful defenseman (some say the worst in the entire league) and he himself admitted as much in his goodbye speech. I think I would have preferred a 2nd round pick but maybe Pearson can get his numbers back up playing with Bo or Petey. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

How do you stomach supporting such a lack of character and backbone by making excuses for the Canucks not standing up for Petey?

I am glad Guddy is gone as he ended up being an awful defenseman (some say the worst in the entire league) and he himself admitted as much in his goodbye speech. I think I would have preferred a 2nd round pick but maybe Pearson can get his numbers back up playing with Bo or Petey. 

I've made it very clear. “IF THEY SAW IT IT’S INEXCUSEABLE” they responded the next game after they saw what happened. He was too chickens*** to answer. So what makes you think he'd do anything but turtle in the same game. Christ read my post @luckylager and @189lb enforcers? have both understood my take. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I agree in full, but I think that 73 was only meaning to state that some teams are surely savvy enough to know to not put certain video up on the jumbotron as to help the rival team whenever possible. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't necessarily disagree but the Kotkaniemi play was more of a fluke incident than a vicious one. I give him the benefit of the doubt compared to a full on bodyslam. 

I think he accidentally on purpose took EP out of the game.  He said otherwise, but what else is he going to say...he was more honest a week before where he publicly stated he hated Swedes...which is pretty normal in their culture, in the international stage the Swedes are like their big brother that never goes easy on them.   And they celebrate beating them like winning a gold medal no matter the stage and if it’s a nothing game (and when it if a real gold medal immortalize it on stamps and coins).   I just wish this team stood up for each other more right away, take the penalty and make it hard for them to beat on our skill guys.

That said they get full marks as they did stand up for EP when they played Florida again, and for what that’s worth it did send a message that they are willing to balance the books for guys that get away with one.  Wonder if they’re memories will be as long for Kout however you spell his name too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

1. I am disappointed that Benning did not obtain draft picks in making these deals. The one thing the Benning regime has done quite well is drafting. Their record on trades (including trading for Guddy and Dahlen) is mediocre at best. Therefore, why not play to your strength and acquire more picks. I see no value in (maybe) adding to the scoring this season by picking up Pearson. 

2. Pearson's career trajectory is alarmingly similar to Spooner's. He was pretty good in his early 20s but, at age 26, he has had a poor year in Pitt after a disastrous start in LA. Most forwards peak at about age 26 or 27, but some guys decline sharply. This year (at age 26) he has 15 pts in 61 games for a 0.25 PPG -- which is about a 4th line level -- and he is -15. And his cap hit is 3.75 million. At this stage I think he looks like a "project".

3. Still, Guddy has really struggled over his three years in Vancouver and, by a number of measures, such as 5-on-5 goals against per 60 minutes, is among the worst in the NHL. So trading him for Pearson probably does improve the team. To some extent, Pitt and Vancouver are trading liabilities with the hope those guys can address immediate concerns. Pitt is desperate for help on the back end with its recent injuries and Vancouver is desperate for a scoring winger. It is not particularly likely that either problem gets solved but at least each team has a chance to solve a major problem.

4. However, I think it is reasonable to ask how Benning has handled his assets overall. In this case, Benning had a #24 overall pick, which turned into McCann. Benning then traded McCann and a high 2nd round pick and high 4th round pick for Guddy and a 5th round pick. And now he has acquired a guy who is struggling for Guddy. That sequence consists entirely of Benning decisions. We might say that McCann was not that great, but Benning was the guy who picked him. So Benning has transformed a #24 overall pick and a high 2nd round pick into a guy who is, at this stage, a project. 

5. Similarly, Benning traded Burroughs to Ottawa for Dahlen, who has now transformed into Linus Karlsson, a 3rd round pick who has not done nearly as well in the Alssvenskan as Dahlen did at the same age. So Burroughs have become a former third round pick who, let's face it, is a long shot to ever play in the NHL.  The one thing like is that the amateur scouts (i.e. Judd Brackett) apparently liked him in the draft, and Brackett has a good track record.

Whenever Benning makes a move, a majority of people on CDC are positive. And, of course, we all want to hope for the best and home bias is a strong effect. But I think that today's moves are probably no better then neutral overall and reflect past decisions that were not that great. 

JamesB that is a great summation with a good insight.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Virtanen The Great said:

All the people saying they're stoked for this. He was our only tough heavyweight we had to stick up for our young stars. Roussel cant do it all bu himself. I would have kept gudbranson 100%

Buddy might fight once every 20 games, the rest of the timt he was required to play defence.  Unfortunately,he is not an NHL defenceman - not because of his skating, but because his thinking skills are not up to the pace of the game.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ray_Cathode said:

Buddy might fight once every 20 games, the rest of the timt he was required to play defence.  Unfortunately,he is not an NHL defenceman - not because of his skating, but because his thinking skills are not up to the pace of the game.

Yes on all parts. Except Guds quick turns and blade work are atrocious. 

23 minutes ago, JamesB said:

1. I am disappointed that Benning did not obtain draft picks in making these deals. The one thing the Benning regime has done quite well is drafting. Their record on trades (including trading for Guddy and Dahlen) is mediocre at best. Therefore, why not play to your strength and acquire more picks. I see no value in (maybe) adding to the scoring this season by picking up Pearson.  

2. Pearson's career trajectory is alarmingly similar to Spooner's. He was pretty good in his early 20s but, at age 26, he has had a poor year in Pitt after a disastrous start in LA. Most forwards peak at about age 26 or 27, but some guys decline sharply. This year (at age 26) he has 15 pts in 61 games for a 0.25 PPG -- which is about a 4th line level -- and he is -15. And his cap hit is 3.75 million. At this stage I think he looks like a "project". 

3. Still, Guddy has really struggled over his three years in Vancouver and, by a number of measures, such as 5-on-5 goals against per 60 minutes, is among the worst in the NHL. So trading him for Pearson probably does improve the team. To some extent, Pitt and Vancouver are trading liabilities with the hope those guys can address immediate concerns. Pitt is desperate for help on the back end with its recent injuries and Vancouver is desperate for a scoring winger. It is not particularly likely that either problem gets solved but at least each team has a chance to solve a major problem. 

4. However, I think it is reasonable to ask how Benning has handled his assets overall. In this case, Benning had a #24 overall pick, which turned into McCann. Benning then traded McCann and a high 2nd round pick and high 4th round pick for Guddy and a 5th round pick. And now he has acquired a guy who is struggling for Guddy. That sequence consists entirely of Benning decisions. We might say that McCann was not that great, but Benning was the guy who picked him. So Benning has transformed a #24 overall pick and a high 2nd round pick into a guy who is, at this stage, a project.  

5. Similarly, Benning traded Burroughs to Ottawa for Dahlen, who has now transformed into Linus Karlsson, a 3rd round pick who has not done nearly as well in the Alssvenskan as Dahlen did at the same age. So Burroughs have become a former third round pick who, let's face it, is a long shot to ever play in the NHL.  The one thing like is that the amateur scouts (i.e. Judd Brackett) apparently liked him in the draft, and Brackett has a good track record.

Whenever Benning makes a move, a majority of people on CDC are positive. And, of course, we all want to hope for the best and home bias is a strong effect. But I think that today's moves are probably no better then neutral overall and reflect past decisions that were not that great. 

One of the best critiques of JB I've seen. All GM's however, have some wins and some losses. I can't disagree with a word you've said here other than we need to now wait and see. Much like people screamed when we traded a 2nd for Baer, or complained about the Shinkaruk trade etc, the only thing we can do is wait and see. Again, I can't disagree with anything here, and actually think JB on the whole has shown the weakest aspect of his abilities is trading. As such, getting more picks is smarter, given drafting is a strength, but in a league where picks are getting harder to get, who's to say picks were available for either Dhalen or Guddy.

As for Karlsson, apparently he was someone we wanted in the draft, so we've scouted him - if our scouts (especially Gradin and he would have been the one given he's our Swedish and Lead European scout)  liked him, that says alot to me (Gradin has shown he knows how to find talent). Karlsson's numbers may not be as impressive as Dhalen's but  if you look at his advanced stats, they are off the charts, and Dhalen clearly wasn't happy being 'coached' to play the way Vancouver wanted (ie he requested a trade).

I think sometimes fans here expect every deal we make is going to be based on 'our' view of a player, and not the reality of the player and their true market value. Guddy was not getting us more than a 4th round pick the way he was playing. His play fell off a cliff, when that happens all you can do is try to correct/salvage it. Pearson has talent, he may fit in nicely, he may not. Let's see how he works out. His cap hit means nothing, we have more than enough cap room.

Edited by 40Dangles
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Just don't be complaining when nobody is able to step up when our young guys get hit.

I won’t. I remember when Guddy stepped up and dropped Matheson for WWEing Petey in that Florida game and when he helicopter spun Cockamany after he leg wrestled Petey to the ground for reverse checking him in the Habs game. The second coming of Jovo-cop fer sure :bigblush:

• Haha 1

It seems I liked Guddy more then most. HF boards are celebrating.

I really liked Guddys size and intimidation. But even I can admit he’s been sucking bad lately and this might be for the best. I think they (management) might have looked into this after the Arizona game. Guddy looked overwhelmed out there...

Pearson doesn’t sound to happy to be coming here, but I guess we will see what happens.