The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

Lots of folks trying to pin prospect development fully on Cull's shoulders.  He's the game day guy for sure, but there is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes with player development and if fans are unhappy blame the organization not the Comets coach.   Palmu was given every opportunity to succeed and he didn't progress, he wasn't good enough to be in the AHL.    Dahlen was given more opportunity than any other prospect here, and while he showed signs of being a top prospect with an NHL future, he had work to do.  If you haven't mastered the AHL why should you be promoted to the NHL?      Jasek, Lind and Gadjovich are progressing nicely.  You don't just walk into the AHL and succeed and the improvement each has shown demonstrates the patience and hard work that goes into player development.  Really irritating to read the Vancouver beat writer tweets tossing Cull under the bus.  If they are unhappy with prospect development go after the player development folks, or the scouts who recommend player X, Y Z be drafted (quite a few swings and misses),

• Upvote 1

Just now, ForzaTikare said:

No way that someone trying to break into the nhl would rather be in a contender like the sharks than in vancouver or another mid-low tier team, id understand it if he went somewhere like LA or Detroit but i cant imagine they would ask to be teadwd to SJS, they probably asked for a trade and SJS offer was the best

So you think it's a coincidence it's with a club his father played for and made contacts with? I think a lot of coaches/managers do favours all the time to agents/former players. 

Dahlen might not play for the Sharks but the chance is there. 

1 hour ago, Connor comet said:

I'll be surprised if he ever makes the NHL. He's a skill player that needs tome and space and his game did not work well in the AHL or with how the comets play. 

It's kinda like Goldobin.. looks like he's floating and not putting in much effort. The skill is there, but the work ethic is not. Goldobin adjusted better, but is probably still a soft player. 

The comets play a hard forechecking grinding game. Not exactly what you think when Dahlens name is mentioned. 

It is what it is. He wasn't happy here and Cull was frustrated with his lack of effort. 

Much like I hear about Goldobin in Vancouver.....

Funny how nobody was posting about the “fact” Dahlen is a scrub and will never play in the NHL until we trade him for someone who couldn’t hold his jock strap at the same age.   Nine points in the last nine AHL games isn’t brought up, or any of the praise that was been showered on him since last year.   If his agent or him were whining, then hold on to him longer and make a trade for a pick at the draft or at least find a player that approximates (and I Hope I’m wrong  here with Karlsson, but not holding my breath).  Do you live in Utica?  If you do perhaps you should answer what another poster said about guessing there is nowhere to eat and depressing culture (if you won’t I can take a stab at that at least having been there a couple times myself). 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So you think it's a coincidence it's with a club his father played for and made contacts with? I think a lot of coaches/managers do favours all the time to agents/former players. 

Dahlen might not play for the Sharks but the chance is there. 

99% sure its a coincidence.. As a player/father/agent you would never trade to a situation that puts you further away from your goal 

12 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Funny how nobody was posting about the “fact” Dahlen is a scrub and will never play in the NHL until we trade him for someone who couldn’t hold his jock strap at the same age.   Nine points in the last nine AHL games isn’t brought up, or any of the praise that was been showered on him since last year.   If his agent or him were whining, then hold on to him longer and make a trade for a pick at the draft or at least find a player that approximates (and I Hope I’m wrong  here with Karlsson, but not holding my breath).  Do you live in Utica?  If you do perhaps you should answer what another poster said about guessing there is nowhere to eat and depressing culture (if you won’t I can take a stab at that at least having been there a couple times myself). 

No Utica isn't Xanadu but it's an okay place that's relatively safe, affordable, and the people are very generous and supportive. And you'll find quality ethnic food of all kinds (avoid the chain restaurants).  Most true fans support all of the players that make this place their temporary home and the players know it and appreciate it.  A few melon heads expect every prospect to be the next Gretzky (and some do rival Keith) but most know better.   Nothing would be better than to see every prospect make it to the next level with the Canucks or another team, but in the end we will settle for a handful and appreciate the others for the effort they provide alongside the usual AHL vets and roster fillers.    

54 minutes ago, IBatch said:

True enough. Basically a way to cope or justify a controversial trade or signing. I thought he was a promising prospect, though I wouldn't put him on the same level as Pettersson this year, or Boeser last year. Yes, it would've been nice to see him play with Petey and try to rediscover past chemistry in order to jump start our offense. Maybe it would've been nice to see JB try to flip him for a pick in the off-season if/when his stock rises. With that said, this is very much reminding me of the Shinkaruk/Granlund trade. Time will tell whether this is a move that will bite JB in the butt, but I'll be maintaining some optimism.

22 minutes ago, therodigy said:

True enough. Basically a way to cope or justify a controversial trade or signing. I thought he was a promising prospect, though I wouldn't put him on the same level as Pettersson this year, or Boeser last year. Yes, it would've been nice to see him play with Petey and try to rediscover past chemistry in order to jump start our offense. Maybe it would've been nice to see JB try to flip him for a pick in the off-season if/when his stock rises. With that said, this is very much reminding me of the Shinkaruk/Granlund trade. Time will tell whether this is a move that will bite JB in the butt, but I'll be maintaining some optimism.

And Shinkaruk currently has 10 points in 42 AHL games this season and has been a healthy scratch multiple times.  When Shinky was traded close to the deadline it hurt the Comets that season because nobody was coming back to the AHL in return but I did understand completely why the Canucks dumped him when they did.  I never saw Shinkaruk as a NHL player.  And this trade hurts the Comets again because there is no AHL player coming back in return but I understand completely why they are trading him now instead of a year from now if the Canucks evaluation of him is that Dahlen will not progress into a top 6 NHL forward and he has no chance of becoming a bottom 6 player. 

13 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

And Shinkaruk currently has 10 points in 42 AHL games this season and has been a healthy scratch multiple times.  When Shinky was traded close to the deadline it hurt the Comets that season because nobody was coming back to the AHL in return but I did understand completely why the Canucks dumped him when they did.  I never saw Shinkaruk as a NHL player.  And this trade hurts the Comets again because there is no AHL player coming back in return but I understand completely why they are trading him now instead of a year from now if the Canucks evaluation of him is that Dahlen will not progress into a top 6 NHL forward and he has no chance of becoming a bottom 6 player. 

Indeed. It will be interesting to see who fills his TOI ! Many CDCers ( myself included ) want way more ice time for Lind and Gadjovich (...and Jasek ? ). This is a blow to Utica, but hopefully there is a silver lining !

• Upvote 2

My first reaction was that we took a downgrade in skill here.

But if 21 year-old Dahlen - who in his first year in the AHL, who is only 5th in scoring on his team, who has only SIX even-strength goals in FIFTY games, and has the worst +/- on any forward on the team - actually had the gall to demand a trade or call-up, then I'm glad to get his entitled monkey-a** out of here.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

See this is more what I like to hear. The ones with the work ethic tend to stick in the NHL even if they may not have the best skill while the ones like Goldobin who have all the skill in the world but no work ethic don't.

Take a look at Goldy for attitude. He has been a healthy scratch numerous times. He looks to me like he has just gone into the gym and worked his ass off. Each time he comes back he seems to get it a little more. Just like Jake he is shutting his mouth and trying to improve.  When you have a team that is lead by players like Bo who never thinks he is good enough but is always trying to improve you must play hard or ……..

The development of this attitude starts in Utica. They want players who are willing to develop into winners not WHINNERS.

Hearing Rick Dhaliwal on 650 this morning he thinks there is a bit of a negative and toxic environment down in Utica for rookies. He has heard on multiple occasions negative reports coming out of Utica from young players. He said he heard absolutely none of that when Green was down there. I think Trent Cull needs to go. Really worried about our development system it seems prospects are much better developing overseas or in college at the moment.   

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hearing Rick Dhaliwal on 650 this morning he thinks there is a bit of a negative and toxic environment down in Utica for rookies. He has heard on multiple occasions negative reports coming out of Utica from young players. He said he heard absolutely none of that when Green was down there. I think Trent Cull needs to go. Really worried about our development system it seems prospects are much better developing overseas or in college at the moment.   

And Rick Dhaliwal knows this because?   How about some sources because this is a contradiction to what players like Zac Mac and Brisebois have said and they have both developed under Cull and company.   Sounds like fake news.  

• Upvote 2