The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

2 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

I did not see thiose games. He has some flashes but mostly on the pp when he has more time and space. He definitely improvef, but obviously in his mind he belongs in the NHL. 

He will go game after game a complete non factor at even strength. Even on the middle of the pack comets he was an average  player. 

Guess he was hot those games..reminded me of Bure actually, similar build and some great stickhandling..

If Dahlen wasn't Pettersson's once teammate and friend, would anyone really care about this? People in Utica said he sucked for the most part 5v5 and sounds like he had off ice issues.

Plus, I don't think a future line of Dahlen-EP-Boeser would have worked. That's three perimeter players, which isn't a knock on them, but the Canucks need to find that Burrows/Guentzel/Simmonds type player that is an excellent forechecker and can win battles along the boards, freeing up the puck for both EP and Boeser.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Seinfeld said:

If Dahlen wasn't Pettersson's once teammate and friend, would anyone really care about this? People in Utica said he sucked for the most part 5v5 and sounds like he had off ice issues.

Plus, I don't think a future line of Dahlen-EP-Boeser would have worked. That's three perimeter players, which isn't a knock on them, but the Canucks need to find that Burrows/Guentzel/Simmonds type player that is an excellent forechecker and can win battles along the boards, freeing up the puck for both EP and Boeser.

Pearson hopefully

47 minutes ago, Darius said:

I don’t know anything about the player we r getting here.

the only red flag for me is.. when was the last time the sharks gave up on a prospect that ended up becoming an impact player?  They seem pretty good at finding talent post first round. some of their late pick roster players can attest to this. 

Does anyone know of a trade where sharks gave up a prospect that turned out to be gold? Like in the past 7-8 years.  Genuinely curious. 

Not gold, but Charlie Coyle ended up being a pretty solid player that the Sharks gave up.

We don't have to have Karlsson be a superstar for this deal to work out for us, just need him to be a player. 

The Sharks haven't had a whole lot of time to evaluate his game at 19, so they're taking a risk on this one too. We'll know alot more about his game next season I think.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I really Like Linus.

I picked him in two fantasy pools last year.

I have to admit I am surprised we traded Dahlen for him.

I also Shlat myself earlier today. The first post I saw said Melkar Karlsson?  I came here to rant.  Thought we had traded a prospect for vet help, which would get us nowhere.

I'll have to trust they were either unhappy with Dahlen? Or really enthused about this prospect!

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Horrible, random, horrible trade. Trade away Dahlen who we've been developing nicely for some unknown kid who looks like he wont even make the AHL team. 

Dahlen and his agent asked for a trade. There were rumors he was heading home if not moved. Either way he wasn't staying here. 

Just now, Connor comet said:

Dahlen and his agent asked for a trade. There were rumors he was heading home if not moved. Either way he wasn't staying here. 

So as a GM you create maximum value from him in a trade. And dont trade him until you do. Duchene wanted out for years, Av's GM waited for the right trade and got a boat load for that team. So basically, Benning bowed to the player? 

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Well THAT'S an interesting trade.

Can anyone with more info on the Euro leagues chime in on whether or not that production is comparable to Dahlens?

Also.  Omg Benning did a thing let's hate it!!

He played SH games in the year leading up to his draft. Which, Rasmus Dahlin aside, is almost unheard of.

Pettersson, for example, was one tier lower in the Allsvenskan.

Karllsson has an NHL body, and great hands. Fared ok for a just turned 18 year old in the SHL. But tore up the Super Elit junior circuit.  Like Dahlen, might need a dose of jets added to his lower body explosiveness to be effective in the NHL. 

A Swedish broadcaster and former nhler interviewed on 1040 also said the Canucks soured on Dahlen for going back to Sweden last year and also playing in the playoffs in Sweden instead of coming over to NA. Doesnt make sense bit that's what he said. 

He said Dahlen was getting cold shoulder from Utica coaching staff....