The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Looks like he improved a lot over last year, but I'm hesitant to say I like this deal. I'm just gonna have to trust Jimbo with this one since he's proven me wrong countless times before.

Dahlen was looking pretty decent in Utica and has obvious chemistry with Petey. A bit worried how EP will take this news.

Karlsson looks like a decent player in the SHL (actually not, see EDIT2 below) this year, 17 points in 48 games in his draft+1 year.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more this could be a good deal for us. Dahlen played in Sweden's 2nd league for two years after being drafted whereas Karlsson is already in the SHL immediately after being drafted, which shows a faster progression. I've already changed my mind, I like this deal now.

EDIT2: It looks like he's not in the SHL. I might have misinterpreted it. Then I'm kind of back to meh. What a roller coaster.

Why would you be worried about what a professional NHL player in his first season would think about a junior player being traded? It's a business, if it soured him on Van or changed his motivation in ANY way he doesnt belong in the NHL.

Professional hockey players arent nearly as mentally fragile as the fans.

• Cheers 2

Well, I'm home from work and I've had time to actually read up on stuff. Turns out he asked for a trade, I've got no issue with the move now. When a guy wants out it's generally best to move him before he becomes a headache for management and a problem in the locker room. It's disappointing as I was hoping he'd play for us down the line but so be it. Coaching and management didn't deem him ready for a call up or we'd have seen him by now and it sounds like he didn't wanna put in his time in the AHL. Gaudette and others have put in time and look better for it.

Wishing our new guy the best going forward, I'll be keeping tabs on how he does.

I don't get why people are so mad. The kid wanted to be in the NHL and didn't want to do his time in the AHL. He didn't tear up the AHL so he clearly needed time in the AHL. This is not the type of player you want in your organization. It sucks yea but the player made this choice.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

At the end of the day, I don’t want anyone near this team who doesn’t want to be here. I would have rather Benning actually got a pick back for once since he “LOVES” drafting, but so be it.

He got a player that he said their scouts were pushing towards taking in the 3rd round in last years draft.

That's essentially acquiring a 3rd round pick that has developed an extra year.

I have no problem with that.

• Upvote 4

It’s too bad because Dahlen was picking it up of late in the AHL. Nothing you can do but trade the prospect when he asks for a trade. He just thought he was further ahead in his development than he was. Probably got upset with all the call ups and never hearing his name. Sucks because I was a fan of Dahlen’s but it’s nice to hear our scouting staff was high on this Karlsson kid back in the draft. We’re getting somebody we wanted!

I heard Dahlen has a heart of a lion...and drove the bus for his team in Sweden...lol

Don't know about how he was used in Utica....but just looking at his stats, he was just okay....it seems the Canucks have given up on him a little early...would of liked to see him play with EP40 and see if they could continue the chemistry...oh well, we will never know. Hopefully, this Karlsson kid turns out to be better...time will tell.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

A Swedish broadcaster and former nhler interviewed on 1040 also said the Canucks soured on Dahlen for going back to Sweden last year and also playing in the playoffs in Sweden instead of coming over to NA. Doesnt make sense bit that's what he said. 

He said Dahlen was getting cold shoulder from Utica coaching staff....

utica staff are garbage look what they did with that finnish kid  garbage coach 

• Wat 2

Forgive me for not browsing 20 pages, but I heard that Dahlen requested a trade....is that true?

If that is true, I thought only Russian players felt entitled, for a Swedish player in his 1st year of pro hockey in NA that seems quite odd he would request a trade so quickly, especially when he knows EP is on the NHL club, someone he is familiar playing with.

Oh well, lets hope this former 3rd round pick Linus is better than 2nd round pick Dahlen

41 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I have a theory that Utica NY is a shi!ty place to live with low quality food options and a depressing culture..

This might be unbearable for some prospects. 

Between hellholes in junior hockey and moving away from home to the same in the AHL... yes it certainly separates players that put everything into the game and let nothing else get to them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, kenhodgejr said:

I have a theory that Utica NY is a shi!ty place to live with low quality food options and a depressing culture..

This might be unbearable for some prospects. 

Players likely don’t care, but their wives and girlfriends sure the hell would.  Maybe Dahlen’s girl was talking into her man’s ear?  

• Cheers 1