The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

8 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

John Weisbrod on the trade:

"Jonathan's representatives came to us a bit ago and asked for a move. Don was frustrated and a little impatient with the opportunity he was getting, and that happens quite a bit. We didn't accommodate that for the sake of accommodating that."

"But we did say if we found something we liked, we'd consider it. With San Jose, it was a chance to get a player we like that's two years younger, that might be on a better timeline for getting their chance when we're going to have the ability for them to get a chance."

"Jonathan's representatives came to us a bit ago and asked for a move. Don was frustrated and a little impatient with the opportunity he was getting, and that happens quite a bit. We didn't accommodate that for the sake of accommodating that."

"But we did say if we found something we liked, we'd consider it. With San Jose, it was a chance to get a player we like that's two years younger, that might be on a better timeline for getting their chance when we're going to have the ability for them to get a chance."

"Obviously it's a frustrating time for him. We always talk about at the draft, one of the considerations you make is you gotta draft players that if they don't make it right away, they're gonna have staying power and resilience and endurance."

"I'm sure you've seen it, there are a lot of good players who could have been good NHLers but they didn't make it through their AHL time. They didn't persevere. And it's a challenge, it's a hard league, it's a much harder league than people realize."

"And Jonathan got into a position where he was not feeling great about things and maybe wasn't in the best state of mind, and we made the assessment that that was going to inhibit his ability to develop and make it through that grind."

"Hopefully it's a really good thing for him getting a new start. I think it was emotionally hard on him with Petey up here since they had the history together and had played together and that might have contributed to the sense of urgency he had."

I'm liking his answers. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

The stats do not show Juolevi to be a defensive liability. He was playing big minutes for a weaker team in all situations. 

Utica's assistant coach Agnew actually said that his defensive game needs work.  Talk of how his +/- is not all on him but says 'when there's a trend there's a trend'.   He wasn't playing short-handed and had actually had a pretty sheltered deployment.  He will need more time in the AHL and that's okay.

The San Jose Sharks selected a Swedish centre with the 87th overall pick in the 2018 NHL entry draft. The Sharks traded the 114th and 145th overall pick in this years draft in order to draft their man.

Karlsson had a really good year playing in the SuperElit league (one of the top leagues in Sweden) and finished the regular season with 27 goals and 25 assists for a total of 52 points in 42 games.

He then carried his strong play into the post-season and tallied two goals and two assists for four points in six games. Karlsson would finish the year getting called up to the top league in Sweden, the Swedish Hockey League (SHL), where he would play 13 games for Karlskrona HK and would finish the season for them with one assist.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Obviously it's a frustrating time for him. We always talk about at the draft, one of the considerations you make is you gotta draft players that if they don't make it right away, they're gonna have staying power and resilience and endurance."

"I'm sure you've seen it, there are a lot of good players who could have been good NHLers but they didn't make it through their AHL time. They didn't persevere. And it's a challenge, it's a hard league, it's a much harder league than people realize."

"And Jonathan got into a position where he was not feeling great about things and maybe wasn't in the best state of mind, and we made the assessment that that was going to inhibit his ability to develop and make it through that grind."

"Hopefully it's a really good thing for him getting a new start. I think it was emotionally hard on him with Petey up here since they had the history together and had played together and that might have contributed to the sense of urgency he had."

Glad we can hear this from the Canucks perspective, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

i really don’t understand this from Dahlen’s perspective though.

The Canucks are struggling to find responsible scoring wingers trading for guys like spooner who was in the AHL and playing him with Boeser and Petey.  Yet he thinks he will have a better opportunity else where?   Not to mention Horvat and Petterson as his centers when he does come up.  He can’t do 1 year in the AHL?  If he thinks he is soo good prove it in the AHL and then he’ll be here.  

If he he thinks he is as good as Petey that is hilarious. 

Glad we traded him if this is his attitude.

Edited by brian42
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I have a theory that Utica NY is a shi!ty place to live with low quality food options and a depressing culture..

This might be unbearable for some prospects. 

I’ve heard upstate New York is actually quite lovely and is a popular getaway for many Northeastern based Americans.

Also look how many Jr teams are off in some dog patch in the prairies. Location is important, but it’s very fair down the list of priorities Kids don’t care as much it’s made out, they want an opportunity to play, and will go where they have one. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That's a pretty honest and open answer.

Did not exactly BAG Dahlen? But is placed strategically under the bus.

We want guys who persevere.

Edited by Canuck Surfer

11 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

For all those praising Sekeres for calling the Dahlen trade, he said management was losing interest in Dahlen when in actuality it was Dahlen losing interest in us. :bigblush:

I refuse to give that clown any props, will look for any technicality to take some wind out of his sails.

My guess is he eavesdropped in on a conversation discussing potential Dahlen trade while walking around Rogers arena. Then, he gave his own interpretation that Canucks lost interest in Dahlen, when in fact, Dahlen requested a trade.

Still 0-for-whatever for Sekeres. You gotta be completely right on everything for it to count as a hit.

:bigblush:

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It sounds like Canucks did Dahlen a favour.

I think Dahlen still has great potential and talent to make the NHL but if he carries a negative state of mind on things, it will make it hard for him to make it here. With Petey playing so well, Dahlen probably wanted to expedite his development and when that didn't happen, he probably became very impatient and negative on the outlook of his future (at least that's how I interpret the quote).

Too bad we lost him but hopefully the player coming back will become a good one. 

14 minutes ago, khay said:

It sounds like Canucks did Dahlen a favour.

I think Dahlen still has great potential and talent to make the NHL but if he carries a negative state of mind on things, it will make it hard for him to make it here. With Petey playing so well, Dahlen probably wanted to expedite his development and when that didn't happen, he probably became very impatient and negative on the outlook of his future (at least that's how I interpret the quote).

Too bad we lost him but hopefully the player coming back will become a good one. 

Yeah it must be tough to for Dahlen to come to this situation. If you think about it, he was playing in one of the highest leagues in Sweden, was the MVP, and I assume he got paid pretty good coin in that league to now doing the the grind in the minors. Its no excuse though, Dahlen had 2 cracks in Canucks camp to show what he can do. The first one I think he was injured then bolted to Sweden, and this past camp, he was pretty invisible. I could understand if he showed something but first reaction I thought was he's absolutely nowhere NEAR ready, at least 1 or 2 seasons in Utica was needed. If doesn't want to pay his dues then let him be.

As for Karlsson, Im indifferent, but you know what? Management got us a potential top 10 player in the league, or else we'd be watching Portland Winterhawks games, and got a steal in Gaudette. Right now, I think I'll give Jim and Co. the benefit of the doubt on this one. They clearly targeted Linus so they might know something we don't. Benning sounded very high on Linus Karlsson

Also would like to add too that theres also a surplus of wingers we have in the organization. We've added, Leivo and Pearson to go along with Boeser, Goldy, Virtanen and I hope a healthy Sven Baertchi and the kids like Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek and McEwen. I think whats lost too in the shuffle is that Will Lockwood, whos game is quite similar to Dahlen's, is just ending his jr. year in Michigan and has a decent chance of ending the season with the big club. I have no doubt management will find a bunch of wingers via draft or free agent reclamaitions

10 hours ago, Drakrami said:

So as a GM you create maximum value from him in a trade. And dont trade him until you do. Duchene wanted out for years, Av's GM waited for the right trade and got a boat load for that team. So basically, Benning bowed to the player? 

Benning is not known for astute business sense. Not any different than loaning gagner to their AHL teams rival or letting Dahlen go back home last season. 

I'll be surprised if he ever makes the NHL. He's a skill player that needs tome and space and his game did not work well in the AHL or with how the comets play. 

It's kinda like Goldobin.. looks like he's floating and not putting in much effort. The skill is there, but the work ethic is not. Goldobin adjusted better, but is probably still a soft player. 

The comets play a hard forechecking grinding game. Not exactly what you think when Dahlens name is mentioned. 

It is what it is. He wasn't happy here and Cull was frustrated with his lack of effort. 

Much like I hear about Goldobin in Vancouver.....

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Also would like to add too that theres also a surplus of wingers we have in the organization. We've added, Leivo and Pearson to go along with Boeser, Goldy, Virtanen and I hope a healthy Sven Baertchi and the kids like Lind, Gadjovich, Jasek and McEwen. I think whats lost too in the shuffle is that Will Lockwood, whos game is quite similar to Dahlen's, is just ending his jr. year in Michigan and has a decent chance of ending the season with the big club. I have no doubt management will find a bunch of wingers via draft or free agent reclamaitions

And the way the things are going lately, we will get to draft in the top 10. And if we get lucky, we might get to add Hughes or Kakko... I'm salivating at the thought of either of those two. J. Hughes is touted as next Patrick Kane and Kakko seems like he will be a complete player and in my opinion, could become a better player than Laine.

Either way, if we add a winger with our 1st in the next draft, losing Dahlen won't be much of an issue.

23 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

It might be his father that is pushing. Ulf played 4 seasons with the sharks... 

No way that someone trying to break into the nhl would rather be in a contender like the sharks than in vancouver or another mid-low tier team, id understand it if he went somewhere like LA or Detroit but i cant imagine they would ask to be teadwd to SJS, they probably asked for a trade and SJS offer was the best