The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

23 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Here is the core players who have spent the number of games down in the AHL. And it’s quite interesting to see how little to no time the players we have with the big club has spent down in Utica. Will be paying a close eye to this as we get more prospects coming from junior and college coming in. I really hope we see more prospects graduate from the AHL level or there is definitely smoke with this situation. When it comes to prospect development for this organization in the last while it would be,
- Moose > Comets > Wolves

Elias - 0
Horvat - 5
Boeser - 0
Roussel - 146 (Dallas)
Goldobin - 33 (way more with Sharks)
Virtanen - 67 
Eriksson - 78 (Dallas)
Edler - 49 (Moose)
Stecher - 4
Granlund - 85 (Calgary)

Boeser and Stecher were already older when they were available cause they went the ncaa route. Horvat was NHL ready, EP was NHL ready.

What exactly are you trying to show here lol?

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

one was, clearly, an entitled kid who made the mistake of believing his own hype.......hype based on his play, as a kid, with the top rookie in the league.  The other was a 7th round pick who was clearly over his head and asked to go back to his home country to continue his development there, rather than in the AHL, where he wasnt good enough, yet, to play. 

on the flip side

Demko, Breezer, Gaudette, Mac, Virt, Sautner, Gaunce, Goldy, OJ

players adjusting and getting more ice time and responding well

jasek, chatfield, lind, gadj

Do we have any elite guys (especially on D) who developed on the farm?  

I really do not understand the crap coming out of Vancouver about the so called "toxic" environment.

If you work your butt off and play a hard skating hard forechecking game that the comets have played all 6 seasons they have been here then you will fit in.

PTO after PTO speak volumes of how welcoming the comets locker room and organization is. 

The AHL is a much tougher league than most realize.. half hearted efforts don't cut it.  Dahlen simply didn't have the work ethic to fit in here, it was obvious to some from the early season games.

Dahlen didn't like it here, it's a small City, in 20 minutes you can drive from one end to the other with no problem. There's not a lot to do. Food is excellent and affordable living.... It's obvious he didn't fit in in multiple ways.....

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

I really do not understand the crap coming out of Vancouver about the so called "toxic" environment.

If you work your butt off and play a hard skating hard forechecking game that the comets have played all 6 seasons they have been here then you will fit in.

PTO after PTO speak volumes of how welcoming the comets locker room and organization is. 

The AHL is a much tougher league than most realize.. half hearted efforts don't cut it.  Dahlen simply didn't have the work ethic to fit in here, it was obvious to some from the early season games.

Dahlen didn't like it here, it's a small City, in 20 minutes you can drive from one end to the other with no problem. There's not a lot to do. Food is excellent and affordable living.... It's obvious he didn't fit in in multiple ways.....

I think that Palmu and Dahlen were both guys who played with men in their own countries  last year and proved themselves and their egos didn't like being treated so much like prospects having to start from square one in Utica.  Especially when they saw injuries or demotions and thought they should be given a chance on the big team.  It is partially their egos and confidence that make them great prospects and players, but it also may be there downfall eventually as they may not put in the time to perfect their games and have the attitude it takes to prove it to the coaching staff.  I don't think Dahlen has a better chance to make it with San Jose over the next while but we will see.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Here is the core players who have spent the number of games down in the AHL. And it’s quite interesting to see how little to no time the players we have with the big club has spent down in Utica. Will be paying a close eye to this as we get more prospects coming from junior and college coming in. I really hope we see more prospects graduate from the AHL level or there is definitely smoke with this situation. When it comes to prospect development for this organization in the last while it would be,
- Moose > Comets > Wolves

Elias - 0
Horvat - 5
Boeser - 0
Roussel - 146 (Dallas)
Goldobin - 33 (way more with Sharks)
Virtanen - 67 
Eriksson - 78 (Dallas)
Edler - 49 (Moose)
Stecher - 4
Granlund - 85 (Calgary)

That is because of how little depth the Canucks have had in their organization. Any player even remotely close to NHL level has been rushed into their lineup.  Ollie is really the first high draft pick to be in Utica and he gets hurt....

Looks like Demko turned out ok. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

That it’s not just a one player being upset about their development, that we’ve had not one but two players leave the organization in a season because of lack of employment and direction. Something is dysfunctional down in Utica. I know not every prospect is going to make the show but the number of players not graduating out of Utica is a bit worrisome. I’ll be patient and see the Mcwens and Brie’s make their way up as I am happy to see that. And it is Linds and Gadgets first seasons in the A do I hope they can improve so they make it to the big club some day. I’m not in panic mode about this but it’s hard not to see that this isn’t the first time this year we have had a disgruntled prospect. That’s all I am saying about the smoke.

So 2 prospects leave for 2 different reasons and this connects to Utica having development problems how? I can see where you are coming from, but I also think you are trying to connect dots but in order to do that you seem to be making up these dots.

One of them clearly had entitlement issues. This doesn't exactly happen often in Vancouver if you think about it, but if you look at the entire league you see players like Vesey and Butcher jumping ship, even Turris a few years back, so it's actually fairly common in the league for a prospect now and then to want to move.

In fact, if you look at every AHL team, I think you'll find roughly the same things happening: players try and make the jump to the NHL but need work. It's easy to just look at us and worry, but we are talking about a graduation to the best league in the world. It's not easy. Even the AHL is not easy. So I guess I don't see the point in worrying when we have a number of players knocking on the doorstep.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think that Palmu and Dahlen were both guys who played with men in their own countries  last year and proved themselves and their egos didn't like being treated so much like prospects having to start from square one in Utica.  Especially when they saw injuries or demotions and thought they should be given a chance on the big team.  It is partially their egos and confidence that make them great prospects and players, but it also may be there downfall eventually as they may not put in the time to perfect their games and have the attitude it takes to prove it to the coaching staff.  I don't think Dahlen has a better chance to make it with San Jose over the next while but we will see.

Goes to show how good the AHL is and how hard it is to get there, stay there and succeed there.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I thought that the team sent palmu back to Finland cause they wanted him to play more. I wasnt aware that it was palmus decision to leave.

Anyway some of you are looking way too hard into Utica. We havent seen many graduates from their cause when JB took over our cupboards were empty. He had to rebuild this organization  in more ways than one.

been 5 years on the job now still 0 graduate from utica if any... none of the player on the roster played any significant time in utica with the exception of demko..

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

been 5 years on the job now still 0 graduate from utica if any... none of the player on the roster played any significant time in utica with the exception of demko..

Well the first couple of years the prospect cupboard was kind of full of cobwebs so I don't know if it's all that fair to treat all 5 years equally. We've also had a number of prospects just plain ready for the NHL and a spot ready for them here.

Development takes time and it's only now when we actually have players really knocking on the door. If you just want to look at the 5 years at face value without looking deeper you are going to have an ulcer, but that doesn't mean it's because of Utica.

• Upvote 1

That it’s not just a one player being upset about their development, that we’ve had not one but two players leave the organization in a season because of lack of employment and direction. Something is dysfunctional down in Utica. I know not every prospect is going to make the show but the number of players not graduating out of Utica is a bit worrisome. I’ll be patient and see the Mcwens and Brie’s make their way up as I am happy to see that. And it is Linds and Gadgets first seasons in the A do I hope they can improve so they make it to the big club some day. I’m not in panic mode about this but it’s hard not to see that this isn’t the first time this year we have had a disgruntled prospect. That’s all I am saying about the smoke.

Palmu was a 7th round OA player.  He has a very very slight chance of playing his way out of the AHL.  Europe makes a ton more sense for him than the ECHL.  

Dahlen felt he was due NHL time.  Management felt he needed to spend more time in the AHL.  How that all broke down is beyond my knowledge, but the club elected to trade him for another prospect they liked alot.  

I dont see this as smoke.  If the club decided that Dahlen didnt fit their plans, for what ever reason, they did the right thing and found him a team that he has connections too.  

The value of the deal seems fair and I don't see either prospect as being mis treated.  

Not everyone is going to be happy having to earn minutes, fight the grind of the AHL when they are heroes elsewhere.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

So.... the whole organization was bereft of talent and depth.  BTW, Markstrom and Green spent alot fo time in Utica.  

Jake spent alot of time in Utica.  Gaudette has some games down there.  Beige, Sautner and Brisbiois are Utica Alumni.  Gaunce was a Utica regular and is again.  MacEwan looks poised to become an NHL regular.  

OJ, Woo, Lind, Gads will have all honed their skill and gained experience in the AHL if they are to make the team.  

Are you saying Utica has no value or that JB drafts so well that most of his picks go straight to the NHL?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Are you saying Utica is Culling our prospect pool? har har

On a more serious note, I think Utica is actually doing a fine job of development. It's not easy to break it to kids who are used to being prolific scorers in JR that when if they break into the NHL they will likely start in the bottom 6 and they must learn to adapt to the responsibilities that accompany that role before they will ever get a sniff in the top 6. Dahlen is a prospect I really liked but the reality was he was never going to be Petes winger when he got a sniff in the NHL friendship aside they are just in a different class. 

I think they are doing the right things with Lind, Gadjovich, 2 high draft pedigree scoring forwards in JR that need to learn the way to the NHL will be in the trenches. 

Gaunce was a 1st round pick he's now a prolific shutdown player after his first WJC coached by Sutter he was told by Sutter that he saw him as a very good future 4th line guy. Not what you want to hear when you are a first round pick but Gaunce put his nose to the grindstone. look for him to be a playoff hero for us in the future. Bet you Manny Malhotra believes in him. 

Juolevi too great strides this year pre-injury.

The ones that don't want to learn that they aren't the next NHL superstar and that their road to the NHL will start as a role player. Will get tossed for someone who will. See Shinkaruk and now Dahlen.  It's a tough pill to swallow but for every Pete there are 10 other 5th overall picks who never crack the top line. Or top pairing. That we might have 2 in 2 drafts we should thank our lucky stars for our teams scouting dept. Not to mention the role players JB is drafting in the later rounds. Guys like Gaudette, Gunnarsson, Rathbone, Lockwood, Madden,  Last but not least maybe littlest Artem Manukian at 5'7" this kid is fast snipes like crazy and is a gamer for a 6th round pick I love it far more than some cheeze burger kids got fire.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I like how you say no one has graduated from  Utica yet you mention demko    that makes your statement so credible  lol    you should really do a lil research before you make statements like that       markstrom virt biega goldy  and other recent  call ups have been Utica  ,

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, the grinder said:

I like how you say no one has graduated from  Utica yet you mention demko    that makes your statement so credible  lol    you should really do a lil research before you make statements like that       markstrom virt biega goldy  and other recent  call ups have been Utica  ,

lol i mention demko that have yet to play a single game this year and have been injured non stop... goldy? he played 30 games in the ahl.. hardly a utica developed player... biega is only here coz we have no one left to play defense.. otherwise he will never be in the NHL... you keep naming players that played less than 35 games in the AHL.. and call them a utica graduate? not even half a season played..

• Wat 2