The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jonathan Dahlen to Sharks for Linus Karlsson

Dahlen's production in Sweden came while playing with Pettersson.   That may be a factor in  his difficulty replicating that production in the AHL?

But if his 'creativity' disappears because he's expected to engage defensively, you have to wonder about that story?   Do you ever hear players like Pettersson (a seriously engaged young player over 200ft)  complain that it limits his 'creativity'?   Not likely,  

Dahlen's production may be hard to replicate in a different, more challenging context where he's expecte to create and drive 'possession'......whereas Linus Karlsson, as noted above, has more modest production - but in a 3rd line center type role...

I'll take the player that is committed to an adult game at a younger age, (almost) every time.

• Cheers 1

Karlsson is a downgrade from Dahlen no matter how you look at it. Not to mention we dont need more 2 way forwards (look at our lineup's lack of offense), we need more goal scorers and playmakers. This trade is just a head scratcher... Should've just held onto the kid until the summer and look for the right trade. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Dahlen's production in Sweden came while playing with Pettersson.   That may be a factor in  his difficulty replicating that production in the AHL?

But if his 'creativity' disappears because he's expected to engage defensively, you have to wonder about that story?   Do you ever hear players like Pettersson (a seriously engaged young player over 200ft)  complain that it limits his 'creativity'?   Not likely,  

Dahlen's production may be hard to replicate in a different, more challenging context where he's expecte to create and drive 'possession'......whereas Linus Karlsson, as noted above, has more modest production - but in a 3rd line center type role...

I'll take the player that is committed to an adult game at a younger age, (almost) every time.

Dahlen won league MVP after Petersson went up to the SHL.

Instead of playing with Tanner Kero, Reid Boucher or heck even Brendan Gaunce or Zac MacKewen he instead was put on lines with the likes of Wacey Hamilton and Brendan Woods IE the Brandon Sutter and Jay Beagle of the Comets. The fact that Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, and Palmu all crapped the bed makes me concerned about the player development In Utica 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Dahlen won league MVP after Petersson went up to the SHL.

Instead of playing with Tanner Kero, Reid Boucher or heck even Brendan Gaunce or Zac MacKewen he instead was put on lines with the likes of Wacey Hamilton and Brendan Woods IE the Brandon Sutter and Jay Beagle of the Comets. The fact that Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, and Palmu all crapped the bed makes me concerned about the player development In Utica 

That's somewhat of a misleading point on your part though.

First, you're talking about the Allsvenskan - a tier below the SweHL, and a year older than Pettersson.

Playing with a Sutter or Beagle is a good way for a player like Jake Virtanen to become a complete, force of a player in the NHL.

There's Dahlen's own responsibility in where he played - did he earn a top 6 spot over the players you think he should have played with?   Which was was less deserving of their opportunity than Dahlen?   Just saying - if you're an undeniable NHL talent, you earn those roles and produce in them.  If you find yourself making excuses that learning the defensive side of the game is hampering your development....that's a player that needs to grow up.  Like I said, you'd never hear that kind of poor-me crapola out of an Elias Pettersson.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You mean besides age, size, skating, position, defensive play and expansion draft exemption?

lol man up, stop throwing random attributes and implying. Are you trying to say Karlsson is better than Dahlen? We can see in a year. 

49 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

lol man up, stop throwing random attributes and implying. Are you trying to say Karlsson is better than Dahlen? We can see in a year. 

Define "better". Would a 50 point offense only player be better than a 35 point center that plays both ends of the ice? Offensively better, but better team player?

How is it fair to see in a year when Dahlen has had two more years of development?

I think Goldobin is likely the competition for Dahlen, so maybe they should be compared in the long run.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Karlsson is a downgrade from Dahlen no matter how you look at it. Not to mention we dont need more 2 way forwards (look at our lineup's lack of offense), we need more goal scorers and playmakers. This trade is just a head scratcher... Should've just held onto the kid until the summer and look for the right trade. 

Remember Shinkaruk for Granlund? This type of comment was common when that trade happened. Granlund has been far more useful to us than Shinkaruk was (and for any other team at this point).

Edmonton had a whole load of scorers and playmakers (high end ones) and where did that lead them? We want to develop players to be NHLers and want players willing to buy into the system. It's a team game, not just focusing on your own individual accolades.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Anyone know how Dahlens looked? PPG so far for the Sharks farm team and some fans are saying he looks much better than he did in Utica. If that is true then I do have some concerns about what’s going on in Utica, but he had 7 points in 7 gp before the trade so...

4 games, 4 assists, 8 shots and -2 for Jonathan Dahlen with the San Jose Barracuda.

Go Dahlen go! Was excited we had you as a prospect but we gave up on you too soon. Heck we even kept Shinkaruk longer before pulling the trigger on moving him when the NHL and AHL management thought his game wouldnt develop.

Dahlen or his agent asked for a trade. It’s unfortunate and maybe moved him prematurely. However Benning and co were able to get a guy they were really high on so they pounced on a deal. With the team sinking Benning should have cleared out some of our bottom 6 vets (like Granlund and Sutter) to give Gaudette more minutes and make room for some call-ups like Dahlen to finish out the season and see what we got. If he looked like he wasn’t ready then pull the trigger on a trade in the off-season. Can’t do anything about it now other than hope Benning is right about Karlsson.

17 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Dahlen or his agent asked for a trade. It’s unfortunate and maybe moved him prematurely. However Benning and co were able to get a guy they were really high on so they pounced on a deal. With the team sinking Benning should have cleared out some of our bottom 6 vets (like Granlund and Sutter) to give Gaudette more minutes and make room for some call-ups like Dahlen to finish out the season and see what we got. If he looked like he wasn’t ready then pull the trigger on a trade in the off-season. Can’t do anything about it now other than hope Benning is right about Karlsson.

I'm not a big fan of this trade, I was hyped on Dahlen, but after the Shinkaruk for Granlund heist, as well as the Leivo robbery, I'm willing to trust Jim on this. 

On 3/8/2019 at 4:03 PM, Drakrami said:

No, more like if you only look at it from an offensive ability angle,   which considering age , might not even be the case . 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

He’s on the 4th line now on their AHL team :lol:

So borrowing on the so-called "Russian stereotype", we should see Dahlen bolt to Europe.

What a complete waste of an opportunity. Dahlen should fire his agent if this was not the fate he wanted. Because he asked for it, clearly.

36 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

IMHO, Dahlen made the biggest career mistake he could've done.

Either his agent gave him really bad advice or his ego got the better of him.

I was really excited for Dahlen to step in for the Canucks, but after the trade, I really do feel like we'll never hear about this guy in the NHL because he couldn't put it together, nor did he have the ethic to do so.

The surprised reaction he had after the trade was funny after Benning has a reputation for being open and honest. I think Benning gets the benefit of the doubt.

All Dahlen needed to do was finish out this year. (~20 more games, so less than a month). Work hard in the summer, like WORK HARD and force a spot on the team.

Worst case is that he could ask for a trade in the new year, if he doesn't make it.

But nope, he had to make a decision RIGHT NOW. So Benning's like SEE YA. Really disappointed in how things played out, but if a player feels he is that entitled, he has some growing up to do.

And it hurts to see this. Dahlen + Pettersson was a great story.

Great post. The kid has done himself a real disservice. If this is the agents doing shame on him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2