The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 20, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

9 hours ago, JamesB said:

3. Erkisson got 4 points. I have watched hockey for a long time and never seen a player do less to get 4 pts (or even 3 pts). His empty net goal did not even require skating. The puck landed in front of him and he shot it down the ice. And his three assists were all pretty soft secondary assists. . That said, he was solid defensively, as he always is. Horvat was great tonight and Horvat and Pearson are showing some chemistry. With Eriksson playing with them they can play shutdown and put points on the board.

Aaah even 4 points not good enough for the haters club ! Really, you are a very wordy poster and could not come up with one positive sentence ?

Edit: You are fairly positive at the end, feel I should have been more balanced in my response !

11 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

Nahh, if Arizona plays .500 and we win all but 1 of our games we're in.  Other teams like Wild, Hawks etc. we aren't too far behind all the attention is on Arizona.

If we go 7-1-1 we need the 4 teams ahead of us all to basically go .500 or worse. The only way we make it is to win out.  Even then we could still miss easily.

8 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

Yeah, that stretch screwed us.

Continuing to note, the Canucks have only given up 2.5 GAA since Gudbranson left 12 games ago. For those people that laughed at every person who said Gudbranson is worse than the guys he could be replaced by from Utica/free agency you are now seeing it before your eyes. If they can move out Sutter, Eriksson this summer, they will be in a good spot going forward. No more new albatross contracts please.

Also, Pearson has been relatively good the past few games. He looked awful at the start.

Boeser over the past few weeks has been a LOT more involved defensively. He looks active. Big improvement on the controller delete issues.

Horvat has been nothing short of exceptional. He keeps getting scraps to play with and performs.

This game for Markstrom reminded me of old Markstrom. He really wasn't bad, but average wasn't good enough to stop the quality of where those shots were taken from. I think he's aware of how good he has to be day in day out (although he doesn't have to be as good since we got rid of Gudbumson)

It is sad to see us winning these games (outside of the leafs one b/c &^@# em). Having a top three pick this year would have been really nice, especially at home. Our odds are getting slimmer as we speak, and realistically speaking, playoffs are not happening.

Well maybe so, but what I see if a team being targeted by dirty hits from any smurf that has a pair of skates...

The boarding of Motte or the 600'ish hits + face washing of the players on the bench by Tkachuk... Name me one player, who can calm these wannabe's down... 

Agree it didn't work out for Gudbranson in Van city, but he did bring something to the table, that hasn't been replaced, and Benning better find a solution to the problem.

If Canucks should do the unthinkable and get to the play offs, it could be a tough learning experience for some of the players....

10 hours ago, DarkGhost said:

I love how we almost crap the bed against the worst team in the league...and yet people think we stand a chance even if by some miracle we make it into the playoffs. 

Us in the playoffs just means watching our kids get destroyed and crushed into bits. 

Pettersson gets decked once every 10 games and that is nothing compared to what’s coming in the playoffs. Anyone actually believe half our team will last through even one series...I’ve got news for you...

A little harsh but accurate. EP left himself vulnerable a few times late in the game and I was scared for the kid. I thought Travis even limited his ice time in the third. Been a nice way to finish the year but we would get killed in the post season. 

12 hours ago, Qwags said:

us0xs4h8tdn21.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=e9362848aaa7416d2aa8ba7749016e3d8935e140

12 hours ago, Pete M said:

yeah and the Sedins were 21 years old

To be fair to Daniel and Henrik, they played in a completely different era. There's absolutely 0 comparisons you can make to the style of play in the NHL at that time. 

The NHL wasn't very kind to small skilled talent back then. It was a game of goons, power forwards, and rough play. 

I highly doubt Kucherov, Geadreau, Petey, could get even half their current point totals if they were hooked and slashed and roughed and interfered with to the extent the Sedins had to deal with. 

Not taking anything away from Petey... If all goes well, he should go down as the greatest Canuck in history. Walk with Elias! 

1 hour ago, rekker said:

100 percent. We aren't close to ready for playoffs. That said, we are no longer bottom feeders. The days of tanking for bottom picks are done so may as well start building towards the playoffs. I suspect a big UFA signing this year and some dropping of dead weight. EK, Myers, Panarin will be targeted this July. 

When you look at how far the club has come in 5 years it is somewhat satisfying. I like to keep the ultimate goal of a CUP FIRMLY in the sights. Some good players and management will likely not be there when the team contends in a serious manner. Your right that as the depth and breadth of the group improves options other than drafting come into play. Hockey trades were not even a serious option even 2 years ago. Moving vets who were considered necessary are not so necessary now. Signing UFA's are a real option. Players like to play with winners. Petey, Bo and BB are a core that will attract UFA's. 

53 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well maybe so, but what I see if a team being targeted by dirty hits from any smurf that has a pair of skates...

The boarding of Motte or the 600'ish hits + face washing of the players on the bench by Tkachuk... Name me one player, who can calm these wannabe's down... 

Agree it didn't work out for Gudbranson in Van city, but he did bring something to the table, that hasn't been replaced, and Benning better find a solution to the problem.

If Canucks should do the unthinkable and get to the play offs, it could be a tough learning experience for some of the players....

Spook, the belief that Gudbranson was the stopper of all dirty plays was a fallacy. There were more instances of him not stepping up and people defending why he didn't than there were times that he did step up.

I agree, we do need a physical stay at home D. But, he can't be making $4m and be such a significant net negative in every aspect. Andrew Alberts was a better version of Gudbranson making pennies as a depth D. Really, what we need is Nikita to come back. That guy was damn good. 

3 hours ago, Googlie said:

Really?  

You'd rather the kids get thoroughly demoralized by losing every game here on in?

Ppppfffftttt

We're the worst team in the league combined over the past four seasons.

I don't think us going on a losing streak is going to be a big difference in the broad spectrum :)

Was at the game. Amazed the Canucks had a 5-0 lead at one point. Wow, OTT looked bad. But then the Canucks went to sleep and the Sens woke up. Always nice to see them win games. As for the Draft, my guess is they'll pick around #12-#15. (yawn)

Never realized this before, but there are several Canucks players who have had a career year: 

Horvat - 27g and 57pts. He's 2 assists shy of tying his assist record.

Boeser - 28a. He's 5 goals and 3 points shy of tying his goals and points record.

Roussel - 22a and 31pts.

Goldobin - 20a and 27pts. He's 1 goal shy of tying his goals record.

Virtanen - 14g, 10a and 24pts. (surpassed all)

Biega - 2g, 12a and 14pts. (surpassed all)

Leivo - 9g and 16pts. He's 1 assist shy of tying his assists record.

Motte - 9g, 7a and 16pts. (surpassed all)

Not to mention the incredible year Pettersson is having. Markstrom has been great and is now a true #1. Gaudette's future is also looking bright.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I thought the lack of response to the sautner hit was sad.  He could have been really hurt.  The game was 3-0.  I don’t care that there was a delayed penalty on the play.

but this topic has been bounced around here ad nauseam

Was at the game. 

Canucks were 5-0 in the third.  OTT Pageau hit and face-washed VAN Stecher in the boards.  Whistle blew and Pageau turned to face Stecher as if motioning to fight.  Stecher seemed to look at him for a good 3-4 seconds then skated away.

Such a shame as that would have been an interesting light weight fight. 

1 hour ago, Tom Sestito said:

We're the worst team in the league combined over the past four seasons.

I don't think us going on a losing streak is going to be a big difference in the broad spectrum :)

“Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser.”  I’m glad the boys are going out on their shields (again).  We’ve come by that record honestly due to a weak roster and injury troubles.  They’ve never quit.  

Exactly the kind of team I want Hughes to be a part of.

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Please bring back the minus.

Some people are never happy with this team no matter what is going on. Even when we were a dominant team people were hacking on Edler being useless, or that Hodgeson should get more playing time, or Schnieder needs the net and Lu needs to be traded, or firing AV because he was too defenive minded as a coarch, or , or , or...on and on. I've now drowned all that negativity out by just simply coming to the understanding that this is Vancouver and we will always have Bi-polararity in our fan base and media. At least I get a chuckle out of things now instead of getting upset like I used too lol.

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Was at the game. 

Canucks were 5-0 in the third.  OTT Pageau hit and face-washed VAN Stecher in the boards.  Whistle blew and Pageau turned to face Stecher as if motioning to fight.  Stecher seemed to look at him for a good 3-4 seconds then skated away.

Such a shame as that would have been an interesting light weight fight. 

Was there too and saw that.

Glad Stech didn't go with him. I don't want him fighting. He is turned into a very important part of our team. We need him available as much as possible, not sitting in the box or getting hurt.

Speaking of Troy, I had the pleasure of talking with one of his childhood coaches last night. He said so many complimentary thing, was cool to hear.

He's just bought his first condo downtown and is apparently very happy about it. He hopes to be a Canuck for a long time to come. 

I for one hope so too!

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Was there too and saw that.

Glad Stech didn't go with him. I don't want him fighting. He is turned into a very important part of our team. We need him available as much as possible, not sitting in the box or getting hurt.

Speaking of Troy, I had the pleasure of talking with one of his childhood coaches last night. He said so many complimentary thing, was cool to hear.

He's just bought his first condo downtown and is apparently very happy about it. He hopes to be a Canuck for a long time to come. 

I for one hope so too!

Stech is a beauty. His defensive game reminds me a bit of Tanev.

27 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Some people are never happy with this team no matter what is going on. Even when we were a dominant team people were hacking on Edler being useless, or that Hodgeson should get more playing time, or Schnieder needs the net and Lu needs to be traded, or firing AV because he was too defenive minded as a coarch, or , or , or...on and on. I've now drowned all that negativity out by just simply coming to the understanding that this is Vancouver and we will always have Bi-polararity in our fan base and media. At least I get a chuckle out of things now instead of getting upset like I used too lol.

I need to learn this. 

Thank you.

I still don't know why TheGuardian gets a free pass from the mods though. 

I am starting to get conspiracy theoretical about it.

Like is it management guaging fan satisfaction with JB, or an in-house reporter who wants to develop his content, secret files on Stealth, or what?

Must keep calm.

But suffering fools is difficult enough, abiding trolls is almost impossible, and reading a-holes' crapping on our parade is against the rules of the forum.

If I dare quote a white, empirical, Anglo-Saxon leader in these overly-politically-correct times, Queen Victoria reportedly once said, "We are not amused."

Must learn to be amused. 

Thanks again.

Appreciate your content.

14 minutes ago, Qwags said:

Stech is a beauty. His defensive game reminds me a bit of Tanev.

Minus the 50 to 60% of each season Tanev spends on the injured list. (Obvious exaggeration, but over six full seasons, Tanev has missed 139 of a possible 492 games, or 28%, or an average of 23-24 games per season) Seriously, Stecher should receive serious consideration for the Canucks' best defenceman this year. If  not that, then at least unsung hero. I've watched pretty much every game and have seen him make maybe five mistakes ALL YEAR. 

Got scared late in the game but glad the boys were able to pull away with the W. Horvat, Eriksson, Pearson were solid throughout the night. Their chemistry is starting to show and thus why Goldy is in the press box. I don't like seeing a player like Goldy scratched but if it motivates a player like Eriksson then I'm all for it. Marky had a solid night and can't really blame him for the goals against. Hope they keep it going this weekend! GCG!

Archived