The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is Bo Horvat a Selke darkhorse? Bo appreciation all around thread.

xereau

It depends what you mean by darkhorse? 

He’s definitely not winning it. I haven’t done any research on this but I don’t think you can win the Selke with a minus in the plus/minus category, no matter how dumb or meaningless that stat is.

I believe Crosby is going to win the Selke this year.

Stats wise it’s not even comparable. They do take offensive stats into consideration for the award, so with that considered, Bo’s not really close to winning it.

Crosby - 71gp 33g 60a 93p +19 54.7 FO%

Bergeron - 57gp 28g 40a 68p +19 56.87 FO%

Horvat - 74gp 27g 30a 57p -4 53.6 FO%

6 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

It depends what you mean by darkhorse? 

He’s definitely not winning it. I haven’t done any research on this but I don’t think you can win the Selke with a minus in the plus/minus category, no matter how dumb or meaningless that stat is.

I believe Crosby is going to win the Selke this year.

Stats wise it’s not even comparable. They do take offensive stats into consideration for the award, so with that considered, Bo’s not really close to winning it.

Crosby - 71gp 33g 60a 93p +19 54.7 FO%

Bergeron - 57gp 28g 40a 68p +19 56.87 FO%

Horvat - 74gp 27g 30a 57p -4 53.6 FO%

Bo has taken over 100 more faceoffs than anyone else including 229 more than Crosby

Meh... you know what? Awards? Nice but for this team, i'm happier about how he plays and his cap hit for the next 4 years and the timing of it couldn't be more crucial. Makes up a bit for LE.

Speaking of that, i can't even fathom making 10% of that a year!  

True, but this isn't 60 points from 5 years ago. 60 points isn't that impressive this year. 

I love the fact that Horvat is on our team and he's under contract for at least 4 more years. I just don't don't think his stats add up to him winning a Selke this year. Could he get some 5-10th votes, yeah maybe, but he's certainly not winning it. 

22 hours ago, timberz21 said:

I think it's a little insulting for Henrik and Kesler.  Between 2009 and 2012, these guys won the Hart, Art Ross, Selke, one Stanley Cup Finalist and two presidents trophy.  I get that Bo and Petey are young, and eventually, their accomplishment will most likely surpass what Kesler and Henrik did....but as of right now, they haven't accomplished what the latter two did.

As for the Selke, yes he should be in consideration in the next few years.  I think his plus/minus this year is too low, but that is also a team stat IMO.  Once the team is better overall, mostly with better defensemen, that number will go up and if he keeps that production up, no question he will be in the conversation.

Better players at a younger age is what the OP was getting at IMO.  

EP40's rookie season eclipsed that of Henriks, he did it as younger player on a weaker team.  These are fair points and as great as Henrik was, EP40 has shown consistently better results at the same age or younger.  

Same with Bo, he is far ahead of were Kesler was at the same age.  

Both Bo and EP40 haven't even put it all together yet.  Where will both players be in 3-5 years?  If the trends continue they would be the best 1-2 center combo in team history.  

6 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

True, but this isn't 60 points from 5 years ago. 60 points isn't that impressive this year. 

I love the fact that Horvat is on our team and he's under contract for at least 4 more years. I just don't don't think his stats add up to him winning a Selke this year. Could he get some 5-10th votes, yeah maybe, but he's certainly not winning it. 

Real Pessimist,

He isnt likely to win the Selke, which seems to go to players with playoff success.  He should be in the conversation though IMO.  

He leads the league in faceoffs while providing offence without alot of support.  Pearson has really worked well with Bo and I can see them continuing this next year.  

On 3/21/2019 at 12:39 AM, nuckin_futz said:

Bo needs to fire his agent for negligent representation.

Hard to believe Bo is locked up for another 4 years @$5.5M.

Shhh.

But, but Bennig is horrible at contracts, remember?

You're contradicting the smarmy narrative.

This is the thing about wanting longer term contracts as young players - as opposed to taking a 'bridge'.

That longer term contract will be based on what you have earned - to that point. 

Horvat may be worth more at this point - and people can argue that his agent should have anticipated that - but at the time he signed that deal 5.5 was fair, even considering modest uptick.

The problem is the wave of new-age youth-culture in the NHL -that fluffs every young flash and are ready to give them 8 yr x 8 million deals after one of two years of performing in the NHL  That is a problem - and one that GMs should not be acquiescing to....While gaggles of smarmy types whine about players like Dorsett or Beagle or Roussel earning 2.65 or 3 million deals....

Archived