The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo and the dreaded cap hit

Rate this topic

smokes

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Seems like FLA is trying to push Luongo out the door. Getting the TO media to write these pieces that Luongo might be done. I don't think Luongo wants to stop playing.

Don't think the Canucks will face the recapture, I'm not worried about that. I just hope the Panthers & Luongo can work something out so he can still play if he wants. 

Yeah I don't get it, last weekend when Burke went on his rant regarding Luongo and coming into camp next season failing his physical and just riding out the rest of his contract, I had to say what?

I agree with you on this Luongo doesn't want to stop playing yet, he made that pretty clear at the beginning of the season when I saw one of his interviews. He talked about how he really wants to compete still and wants to win, he even talked about how he has upped his off season training to stay in shape because he does realize he's getting older and he has to put in a little more in training to stay at the top of his game, but when a guy is doing that kind of stuff that doesn't scream to me that he wants to retire.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

It is still something that management must plan for. They can't just stick their head in the sand. Each year it gets higher until the deal is up. If they spend to the cap and he retires then they are screwed. When they sign ufa's for six years they MUST take that deal into account. 8.8 mil for year three.

Loui only gets 850,000 per for the last two years.

If it happens it happens. This is one of those things where it's going to be more feasible to just react to it if it comes rather than to live in a bubble of paranoia around it. If Luongo doesn't retire and we've "accounted for it" then we've also just sold ourselves short of that money.

There are just some things in business you take as it comes and this is one of them.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

It is still something that management must plan for. They can't just stick their head in the sand. Each year it gets higher until the deal is up. If they spend to the cap and he retires then they are screwed. When they sign ufa's for six years they MUST take that deal into account. 8.8 mil for year three.

Loui only gets 850,000 per for the last two years.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Meh, pretty much all the recapture penalties have been excused the Devils even got their lost draft pick back.

It was just posturing by the league to end these ridiculous deals. Now that they're gone the penalties have been either dropped or reduced.

Agree with you both. I think its more posturing than reality too, but they should still plan for it being a possibility.

The Leafs have got themselves into a bad spot trying to re-sign Marner & Matthews. Circumstance is maybe different but we can't run into the same problem with our young core. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah I don't get it, last weekend when Burke went on his rant regarding Luongo and coming into camp next season failing his physical and just riding out the rest of his contract, I had to say what?

I agree with you on this Luongo doesn't want to stop playing yet, he made that pretty clear at the beginning of the season when I saw one of his interviews. He talked about how he really wants to compete still and wants to win, he even talked about how he has upped his off season training to stay in shape because he does realize he's getting older and he has to put in a little more in training to stay at the top of his game, but when a guy is doing that kind of stuff that doesn't scream to me that he wants to retire.

Yeah I'm convinced he still wants to play. If he doesn't what Burke laid out will likely be the case. But I don't think Lu is going down without a fight.

Even if they sign Bob it would be cool to have Lu as the 2nd goalie. Don't have to burn either guy out like they have the last few years with Luongo. I know its alot of money to spend on goaltending but if the Panthers are dead set on kicking Luongo out the door it will be tricky to do it & not look terrible.

Would love to see Lu go somewhere else like MTL to end his career, but he's made it clear he doesn't wanna leave FLA. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yeah I'm convinced he still wants to play. If he doesn't what Burke laid out will likely be the case. But I don't think Lu is going down without a fight.

Even if they sign Bob it would be cool to have Lu as the 2nd goalie. Don't have to burn either guy out like they have the last few years with Luongo. I know its alot of money to spend on goaltending but if the Panthers are dead set on kicking Luongo out the door it will be tricky to do it & not look terrible.

Would love to see Lu go somewhere else like MTL to end his career, but he's made it clear he doesn't wanna leave FLA. 

Exactly, he wants to compete still, and he still can, just not as a #1. Like you suggested having a work load with another goalie for half the games makes sense but obviously depends on how much money is being spent, but maybe with him knowing he has not many years left he may open up to the idea to being moved somewhere as a backup for a team having a better chance at winning a cup before he has to retire, which I could see if he allows for it.

• Upvote 1

I hate to break it to you guys but there is no chance they "paper transaction" Luongo to the Canucks so he can retire a Canuck. His wife lives in florida, he started and finished his career in florida. He is not getting his number retired in the Canucks, hes not even likely to be in the ring of Honour. Hes also not going to retire, he will show up to camp, legitimately fail his physical and get put on LTIR for the next 3 seasons as he collects a few million dollars from his couch, or beach or yacht.

Luongo has a fairly complex NTC. Many decisions and dates to be met. All of that ended in 2018. CapFriendly doesn't say where things stand today. If I have it right (...it could happen ! ), he must supply a 5 team trade list. He only partly controls his destiny. I really feel that a win/ win/ win situation is in there somewhere. Could end up on our books with Florida retaining salary !

3 hours ago, EP-40 said:

I hate to break it to you guys but there is no chance they "paper transaction" Luongo to the Canucks so he can retire a Canuck. His wife lives in florida, he started and finished his career in florida. He is not getting his number retired in the Canucks, hes not even likely to be in the ring of Honour. Hes also not going to retire, he will show up to camp, legitimately fail his physical and get put on LTIR for the next 3 seasons as he collects a few million dollars from his couch, or beach or yacht.

I agree with everything except the bolded part.

He is almost certainly going to the ROH one day.

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Don't trust media reports..just keep 5 mill AAV open, until Lu decides(especially entering his final yr), & the matter is officially finalized. This corrupt, rigged league would bend over backwards to F*** over our franchise.

8.8 mil for the last year. Your right, they would see too it that we get screwed. 

Management would be wise to take Loui back and then put him on IR. If he can't play anymore. His retirement ment would not be good for us. Let's not forget that he has 3 years left. It is what was done with Pronger. 

On 4/5/2019 at 5:20 AM, SingleThorn said:

Luongo has a fairly complex NTC. Many decisions and dates to be met. All of that ended in 2018. CapFriendly doesn't say where things stand today. If I have it right (...it could happen ! ), he must supply a 5 team trade list. He only partly controls his destiny. I really feel that a win/ win/ win situation is in there somewhere. Could end up on our books with Florida retaining salary !

Did Florida choose to honor NTC?  I can’t remember (in a trade interest involving NTCs, the team acquiring such a player has the options to void that part of a contract).

On 4/4/2019 at 6:51 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Exactly, he wants to compete still, and he still can, just not as a #1. Like you suggested having a work load with another goalie for half the games makes sense but obviously depends on how much money is being spent, but maybe with him knowing he has not many years left he may open up to the idea to being moved somewhere as a backup for a team having a better chance at winning a cup before he has to retire, which I could see if he allows for it.

Do you really think he signed that contract knowing he's going to play for 1.5 million and then a million a year for the last two? I can't i bet he is done right now, just not coming out and saying anything yet or going to do the ltir dance.

2 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Do you really think he signed that contract knowing he's going to play for 1.5 million and then a million a year for the last two? I can't i bet he is done right now, just not coming out and saying anything yet or going to do the ltir dance.

I don't think money is an issue for him at all for how much he's getting paid yearly, he's a competitor and just wants to win still while he still has the opportunity to play, and if a team is willing to have him and it's a fit for him I see him going until either his contract is up or no one takes him to allow him to play. I also believe that the contract he signed he feels some obligation to finish it out, that's the kind of guy I believe he is, that he feels responsible for signing that contract and doesn't want to make Vancouver pay for it, and will try and finish it off if he can or again if a team allows him to play. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 months later...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-sharks-still-shot-keeping-erik-karlsson/

15. Tallon added he spoke to Roberto Luongo hours before we chatted. A decision on the goalie’s future is expected before the draft.

This has ramifications how the Canucks also approach the next few years and even this FA season.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-sharks-still-shot-keeping-erik-karlsson/

This has ramifications how the Canucks also approach the next few years and even this FA season.

Still don't see this as a problem. There's now way he doesn't have enough groin/hip/knee/back etc problems at his age, with his mileage, to warrant long term IR through to his 'retirement' at the contract expiration.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

Interesting thought I had today... worst case scenario, Luongo either no longer wishes to play, or the Panthers decide hes no longer good enough to play backup in the final year of the contract.

At that point, the recapture penalty would be 8.52M, BUT the cap hit is 5.33.

It would make 100% sense for the Canucks to trade for Luongo for a 7th round pick, have him retire as a Canuck, and tell him he can enjoy life at home as we keep him on payroll for that last year, effectively saving 3.2M in cap.

Not sure if this scenario had been discussed at all. 

Edited by Yung1