The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - What the Canucks SHOULD and SHOULDN’T do in this off-season

In my opinion, there are 4 types of players that can be targeted.

1) High Ticket items

2) 2nd line / 2nd pairing guys

3) Bottom 6 players / 3rd pairing guys

4) PTO’s / fringe.

In my opinion, the Canucks should target multiple players from the #2 group for the following reasons:

A) High Ticket items will cost too much.  Guys like Karlsson, Panarin, and Duchene will likely cost over 10 million.  If you pay those guys that much money, then the chances of our own RFA’s taking discounts when the time comes will be next to none.   We would become similar to Toronto in this regard......and could in effect, decrease our “window” via cap complications.

B-) We already have enough bottom 6 guys, 3rd pairing D, and “fringe” guys.  Our farm + guys like Beagle, Roussel, Schenn, etc., already tick these boxes.

C) Depth is the biggest issue for the Canucks. When relatively healthy, the Canucks are a Wildcard caliber playoff team.  It’s when they have injuries that they really start to struggle.  Having elite talent is obviously important as well, but I am of the belief that elite talent should be acquired through drafting (which the Canucks are doing) so that one can take advantage of the ELC years + what would hopefully be a long term contract with a discounted AAV (nothing more than 8.8 million).  

Guys like Dzingel, Connolly, Ferland, and Myers would be good targets for us in my opinion.   Getting two of the above players (or players similar to this caliber) would be a good off season for us in my opinion. 

Our depth would increase substantially, and we would still have a chance of getting guys like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes to take discounts of some kind when their ELC’s expire. 

I want to see Brett Connolly signed.  He is an outstanding bottom 6 guy thats done nothing but bang and crash, AND put up decent points, all in a bottom 6 role.  He would be a hell of a winger for AG88, or Beagle, who he already knows well.  Big BC boy.  I will be happy if this guy is the only signing this off season.  Outside of Karlsson and Myers on the backend, most of the rest of UFA D are quite old and slow. I could see us moving forward with Edler as our 'old guy' and Schenn being brought back for depth and veteran leadership.

1 minute ago, xereau said:

I want to see Brett Connolly signed.  He is an outstanding bottom 6 guy thats done nothing but bang and crash, AND put up decent points, all in a bottom 6 role.  He would be a hell of a winger for AG88, or Beagle, who he already knows well.  Big BC boy.  I will be happy if this guy is the only signing this off season.  Outside of Karlsson and Myers on the backend, most of the rest of UFA D are quite old and slow. I could see us moving forward with Edler as our 'old guy' and Schenn being brought back for depth and veteran leadership.

Completely agree about Connolly.

I think Connolly is the type of guy that can realistically be had for a long term cap friendly deal.   Boeser, Connolly, and Virtanen isn’t too shabby for a RW Line-up.  

1 minute ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Completely agree about Connolly.

I think Connolly is the type of guy that can realistically be had for a long term cap friendly deal.   Boeser, Connolly, and Virtanen isn’t too shabby for a RW Line-up.  

I also wonder how much Jordan Eberle will cost.  I think he will bail on NYI.  Also, Anders Lee is there in New York but I don't know if he will bail.  Panarin is the dream, but I won't hold my breath.  There's so many more good UFA in the next few seasons, I'd hate to go whole hog now.  2-3 more seasons of window shopping is in order.

23 hours ago, xereau said:

I also wonder how much Jordan Eberle will cost.  I think he will bail on NYI.  Also, Anders Lee is there in New York but I don't know if he will bail.  Panarin is the dream, but I won't hold my breath.  There's so many more good UFA in the next few seasons, I'd hate to go whole hog now.  2-3 more seasons of window shopping is in order.

I would honestly stay away from Panarin.

1) His cost would be too high and he’d throw our future cap structure out of whack (ie Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes won’t take discounts of any kind if you blow your wad on Panarin with a 10.5-11 million dollar contract). 

2) Russian factor:  I know that this is a discriminatory comment on my part, but there’s just always that risk you take with Russian players.  Building long term plans with Russian players often present significant challenges.

I do like the Eberle idea.   I think he could be had for a very decent AAV.

35 minutes ago, xereau said:

Yes Connolly is a strong depth guy & incredibly wise young bloke(likely leader amongst men). Saw with their on-ice Cup celebrations, his lovely Asian lass/Missus. We NEED such wisdom on our beloved Canucks! :^)

I'm gonna disagree with most people here and say that we should target one of the big ticket guys. Benning has spent his entire tenure targeting guys from the second and third groups, with not much to show for it. If we can land a legitimate star to augment our young core, I say go for it (assuming we can ship out some of the more redundant, expensive players salaries still on the books).

I think we should try and trade away some of our useless forwards and sign up a top-6 forward and top-4 defenceman. If we can get anything for Goldobin that'd be nice, otherwise look to trade away Spooner/Beagle/Motte for something useful and sign perhaps Johansson/Lee/Nelson/Ferland and Gardiner. We've got the cap-space to do so.

I kind of hope they stick with the plan by drafting and developing. They're almost there and maybe in 1-2 years they could target a certain top player. I agree that they shouldn't go all in on an expensive UFA at this time in the rebuild. Panarin, Skinner, Eberle and even Ferland would probably be expensive. But they do need some help. I like the Connolly idea. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

I kind of hope they stick with the plan by drafting and developing. They're almost there and maybe in 1-2 years they could target a certain top player. I agree that they shouldn't go all in on an expensive UFA at this time in the rebuild. Panarin, Skinner, Eberle and even Ferland would probably be expensive. But they do need some help. I like the Connolly idea. 

I get the feeling that the way they roll out the strategy this year is where Linden differed from ownership (and Benning).  At the trade deadline Benning said that he might add top line or top pair players "if he can".  This pretty much agrees with what the OP has said.

Top line LW.  What does this do?  It helps the top line (EP and Boeser) for starters because they would have a partner with like skills.  I think they hoped that Goldobin would develop into this guy but he just hasn't.  And Baer is a decent 2LW,which is great but playing against top pair D is a challenge for him, not to mention the question of health.  This is what happens all down the left side, all the middle 6 players that Benning has added in the last year (Roussel, Pearson, Leivo, Spooner) will be able to play at their natural level and not be over matched.  It addresses the depth issue.  And there is nobody in the system now, who projects to be this guy.  On the other hand, I think Benning needs to stay away from the $10M contracts.  This is reserved for the future core and this addition is a support player.

Same type of target for D where our present top pair has health issues.  The question on D is where Hughes is likely to play next year.  How soon till he takes over for Edler on the top pair?

Brett Connolly would be perfect for this team.  Only 27 next year and is a Stanley Cup Champion and a BC boy.  Big body who bangs and crashes and is going to have 22-25 goals this year.  What's not to like?  If the contract is reasonable and he wants to come back home I'd sign him in a heartbeat.  I'd play Virtanen on his off wing and have a Virtanen  Gaudette  Connolly 3rd line.  Roussel can play with Beagle on the 4th line and throw in MacEwen on the right side.  All of a sudden we have some size and grit in the lineup.

Not sure where the others fit in, specifically Leivo and Granlund.  Granlund I'd trade for a draft pick and Leivo I would re-sign and see where he fits in.  Same with Motte.  We need more depth, but quality depth, no more Schaller's and Spooner's please.  Goldobin you can also trade for a draft pick.  We still have Sutter and Baertschi on the roster.  What a logjam really.  I'd keep Pearson to play with BO but I would try and trade both Baertschi and Sutter and go with Gaudette and Leivo in their place.  Maybe sign Ferland and Leivo can be a swingman, moving around lines for depth along with Motte.  

It will be an interesting summer for sure.  If we land one of the top two picks that changes everything as Hughes or Kakko will change our top 6 completely.  

Jimbo struggles to find good value in these signings so stay clear. Try to get a couple more picks if you want to cut bait with guys like Goldy or whoever. We are not ready to contend for jack at the moment.

10 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

In my opinion, there are 4 types of players that can be targeted.

1) High Ticket items

2) 2nd line / 2nd pairing guys

3) Bottom 6 players / 3rd pairing guys

4) PTO’s / fringe.

In my opinion, the Canucks should target multiple players from the #2 group for the following reasons:

A) High Ticket items will cost too much.  Guys like Karlsson, Panarin, and Duchene will likely cost over 10 million.  If you pay those guys that much money, then the chances of our own RFA’s taking discounts when the time comes will be next to none.   We would become similar to Toronto in this regard......and could in effect, decrease our “window” via cap complications.

B-) We already have enough bottom 6 guys, 3rd pairing D, and “fringe” guys.  Our farm + guys like Beagle, Roussel, Schenn, etc., already tick these boxes.

C) Depth is the biggest issue for the Canucks. When relatively healthy, the Canucks are a Wildcard caliber playoff team.  It’s when they have injuries that they really start to struggle.  Having elite talent is obviously important as well, but I am of the belief that elite talent should be acquired through drafting (which the Canucks are doing) so that one can take advantage of the ELC years + what would hopefully be a long term contract with a discounted AAV (nothing more than 8.8 million).  

Guys like Dzingel, Connolly, Ferland, and Myers would be good targets for us in my opinion.   Getting two of the above players (or players similar to this caliber) would be a good off season for us in my opinion. 

Our depth would increase substantially, and we would still have a chance of getting guys like Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes to take discounts of some kind when their ELC’s expire. 

I rarely see Proposals that make sense on the CDC. This one does. I think we have some high-level talent that will shortly be high ticket players. Improving 3-5 on D and 4-9 at Forward is the right tactic. I do think we could also benefit from Leivo having another year under his belt and Pearson and Spooner returning to form.

Stay away from middling d-men (borderline top 4) in free agency. Stay away from 30 year old forwards. Look at the history of those players. More often then not they are not that good or regress heavily. We don’t need a Lucic or an Alzner.

Make a reasonable pitch to Karlsson. If not. It’s okay to do nothing. We are already bloated in bottom 6ers and 3rd pairing/depth d-men. Don’t see the need to sign 3 more journey men just to do something. 

More interested in the trade market since that’s usually the only way to bring in quality talent. Nobody gives up anything for free anymore. Free agency is overhyped and teams more often then not get burned on the bigger names.

We have enough fringe talent.  JB's trades this year have been solid, Pearson, Leivo and Schenn have be exactly what they need to.  The bottom of our lineup should be very good next year:

Pearson-EP-Boeser

Leivo-Horvat-Baertschi

Virtanen-Gaudette-Rousel

Motte-Beagle-Granlund

I'm not expecting Schaller, Spooner Sutter, or Eriksson to be here next season

On D:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-Schenn

Biega, Joulevi, Brisbois for depth.

I'd say that right now Woo, our 2019 1st, and Tryamkin are our best remaining assets for the near future.

We need a home run, whether it is this year or next in the FA market.  We need a legit top line winger (or 2) and a top pairing D (or 2) in this lineup.  I don't see us filling this via the draft or trades.  We need Karlsson, Panarin or Duchesne this year, or wait till next year. Next season' potential UFA list is crazy:  Pietrangelo,Hall,Barrie,Schenn, Galchenyuk,Vatenen,Faulk, Toffoli, Hamonic, Brodie.  I get that only a couple will hit the market, but any of these guys would be massive for us.

We have a ton of depth guys, and lot's of young guys starting to fill roles, we need to get a few more high end pieces to finish up this rebuild.

(hopefully) Looking at the roster (2019/20)

LW - Baertschi, Leivo, Pearson, Roussel (Schaller)

C - Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette, Beagle

RW - Boeser, Virtanen, MacEwen, Motte

LD - Edler, Hughes, Hutton, Teves, Juolevi 

RD - Stecher, UFA, Schenn, Biega, Chatfield/Woo

G - Markstrom, Demko

Maybe the VAN 1st pick will be added to the forward group, depending who they get. As for the RD UFA, I can see Benning signing a player like Jan Rutta (TB). Not overly expensive and fills a need. There`s also Alex Petrovic (EDM).

Schenn has been a nice surprise and should make the team next year (once they re-sign him). Biega plays well enough to earn a spot, but should be a Utica callup IMO.

I think they need to trade Tanev, for whatever they can get. Maybe the return would be better if he was packaged. He`s been missing 30-40 games a season. They should also try to trade: Sutter, Goldobin, Granlund, Eriksson, Spooner and Pouliot. I would`ve added Baertschi to the trade list, but VAN wouldn`t get anything for him. 

This is the off-season to really try to get better.

We have a decent core and need to supplement them while they are still young and cheap.

Get the best Quality players who will agree to come here.  You are almost always better off going for the top guys rather than overplay for mediocre ones.

Top end talent tends to stay top end, they also push other guys down the roster and make them better by facing lesser opposition and having more manageable minutes.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Stay away from middling d-men (borderline top 4) in free agency. Stay away from 30 year old forwards. Look at the history of those players. More often then not they are not that good or regress heavily. We don’t need a Lucic or an Alzner.

Make a reasonable pitch to Karlsson. If not. It’s okay to do nothing. We are already bloated in bottom 6ers and 3rd pairing/depth d-men. Don’t see the need to sign 3 more journey men just to do something. 

More interested in the trade market since that’s usually the only way to bring in quality talent. Nobody gives up anything for free anymore. Free agency is overhyped and teams more often then not get burned on the bigger names.

Tired of Karlsson spec..the guy looks like Zorro after he's been elegantly coiffed at the F***in beauty salon. Wide berth..guy's jumped the Shark!

Archived