The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

22 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto; despite JBs' promises, game day deployment & usage is still a coaching decision; and in this case, Green played the players he trusted instead of giving an unknown a chance in a losing season.   Rafferty did & excelled in everything that was asked of him and I wish him the best in his next stop - taught he was going to be a Rafalski lite: a player who started his NHL career at 26.

I think some of it had to do with the recall rules as well in the bubble 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think some of it had to do with the recall rules as well in the bubble 

Perhaps but JC got way more opportunities than Rafferty and he was nothing special - dime a dozen (imo).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Perhaps but JC got way opportunities than Rafferty and he was nothing special - dime a dozen (imo).

agreed. I don't know what the love-in was with Chatfield.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I can speculate but would rather not say; and asset management is not just on JB, some of it should fall on the staff as well cause (ultimately) usage & deployment are up to them

Hope Rafferty the best (Rafalski Lite).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Chatfield is way quicker to pucks than Rafferty, and much harder to play against.  Rafferty is a bigger, but very passive player.  Really neither of these two are in our team’s future.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Chatfield is way quicker to pucks than Rafferty, and much harder to play against.  Rafferty is a bigger, but very passive player.  Really neither of these two are in our team’s future.  

I trust your eye on this Alf. 

Don't understand all this nonsense about not being given opportunities. He had 1 opportunity (1 game) and he didn't take it, I don't think there's more to it than that.

Chatfield had a few shaky shifts in his first game, but overall played ok for a #6-7D (arguably not a very good one but he does bring some elements although his positioning is somewhat suspect). Rafferty's game was a disaster.

I also think he could've gotten one or two more games to get a clearer view of what we had in him, but obviously that's not how the coach saw it.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, J-P said:

Don't understand all this nonsense about not being given opportunities. He had 1 opportunity (1 game) and he didn't take it

Opportunities, is a plural word

opportunity is a singular word.

Thus, by your own statement Rafferty did not get opportunities, he got a singlular opportunity. 

So it is not nonesense to say he didn't get opportunities.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Thus, by your own statement Rafferty did not get opportunities, he got a singlular opportunity. 

Ha ha fair enough - I stand corrected. He did of course get 2 games in 2019 as well though... ;-)

But I can understand that it looks strange that he didn't get one or two more games down the stretch when we were out of it, just not buying the narrative that a franchise is obliged to give a player opportunities, you have to make every second you get in pro sports count and that's up to the player.

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Now to be fair, he likely also had numerous opportunities in practices etc to force the coaches in to giving him more games as well.

Far too much milk being spilled over this any way you slice it though. Move on people. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly I think Rafferty will do well on another team ..... and then more self incrimination, navel staring. We talk about development, but unless a player comes ready made, his chnaces are low. Craig Button mentioned this, it's not like Vcr were the only team interested but he was promised opportunity here, he got short shrift 

I think they'll find a way to have him at training camp, either on a pro try out, or on a two way deal.

Guy does quite well at the AHL level, may need a bit more time to make the jump to the show.

CAnucks currently at 27 of 50 contracts, so there might be room for a 'tweener" for a year.

Edited by gurn
spelling

46 minutes ago, gurn said:

I think they'll find a way to have him at training camp, either on a pro try out, or on a two way deal.

Guy does quite well at the AHL level, may need a bit more time to make the jump to the show.

CAnucks currently at 27 of 50 contracts, so there might be room for a 'tweener" for a year.

There's another 31 teams in the league, this is not about Vcr it's about a player breaking into the NHL

Just now, Fred65 said:

There's another 31 teams in the league, this is not about Vcr it's about a player breaking into the NHL

Rafferty is coming 27.  He might catch on somewhere but I think he’s done at this level.  What does he bring in his skill set that a younger guy, with upside, doesn’t?  Rafferty is a slowish, softish, meh kind of player.  He’s like the defensive version of Graovav.  These are career AHLers.  Still, compared to the vast majority of guys starting out, that’s a heck of a good career. 

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Rafferty is coming 27.  He might catch on somewhere but I think he’s done at this level.  What does he bring in his skill set that a younger guy, with upside, doesn’t?  Rafferty is a slowish, softish, meh kind of player.  He’s like the defensive version of Graovav.  These are career AHLers.  Still, compared to the vast majority of guys starting out, that’s a heck of a good career. 

Hey now!

I think he'll make a perfectly nice living and have fun chasing cute, accented, puck bunnies in the KHL, SHL etc ;)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hey now!

I think he'll make a perfectly nice living and have fun chasing cute, accented, puck bunnies in the KHL, SHL etc ;)

Well

You aren’t wrong the mans still extremely

talented at hockey just not NHL talented still Make a great living playing hockey. And possible get to travel to some interesting places 

• Cheers 1

On 7/1/2021 at 3:40 PM, Alflives said:

Nothing wrong with his speed ....

https://t.co/XuVcplxAIE https://twitter.com/ChrisFaber39/status/1204952414471610368?s=20